Baby BMW Forum banner

Egr delete.

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Pabzy 
#1 ·
i would imagine you could remove those components but you`ll need to factor in some coding to removed the fault code they'd generate.

#3 ·
mot fail then unless your mot tester is a good one

#7 ·
Evening baby BMW :celebrate:
Having followed this forum for the last 2 years, this is my first post on here as I am in need of some advice about.....yep the egr system on my 05 120d e87.
Having recently replaced both stats and coolant (g4:cool2: I think my egr cooler has now sprung a leak :censored2:
I have noticed coolant level slowly dropping with no visible external leaks. Compression test didn't reveal owt either :cry:
I have an egr delete kit I plan to fit before remap and have also seen you can buy blanking plates and bungs to deactivate the egr system completely.
Therefore, if I removed the egr system, would the car get up to temp without the egr stat? I assume it won't work if the egr system isn't functioning?
Not keen on spending remap money on a new egr cooler if I can do without it altogether.
Also, what are the benefits of removing it as have seen mixed views and so I m not sure on what is the best choice. Replace or remove??
Sorry for the novel, just want to be thorough on my dilemma.
Thanks all

#8 ·
Pabzy said:
Having followed this forum for the last 2 years, this is my first post on here as I am in need of some advice about.....yep the egr system on my 05 120d e87.
Having recently replaced both stats and coolant (g4:cool2: I think my egr cooler has now sprung a leak :censored2:
I have noticed coolant level slowly dropping with no visible external leaks. Compression test didn't reveal owt either :cry:
I have an egr delete kit I plan to fit before remap and have also seen you can buy blanking plates and bungs to deactivate the egr system completely.
Therefore, if I removed the egr system, would the car get up to temp without the egr stat? I assume it won't work if the egr system isn't functioning?
Not keen on spending remap money on a new egr cooler if I can do without it altogether.
Also, what are the benefits of removing it as have seen mixed views and so I m not sure on what is the best choice. Replace or remove??
Thanks all
So mine is coded out i.e. stuck open so gasses go straight out the exhaust (done by BW chiptune at the same time as a remap) which I believe you have to do. TBH the remap is good egr delete i didn't do for performance issues only reliability. In terms of changes I've notice short journey MPG go down a lot (i guess because the engine takes longer to heat up without egr) but the longer distances the MPG (now 64+ mpg or 700 miles per tank) is much better (i have a motorbike so car only does 90+ mile journeys on motorway now). So in summary yes i think mine was worthwhile but if i did shorter journeys i would be worried about the engine getting to temperature (but then i would also have a 135i).

#9 ·
Pabzy said:
Thanks all
Thread hijack

#10 ·
No need to remove the egr valve on an M47. I have an M57 (M47 with 2 more cylinders)with 246000 miles. I tried an egr bypass once. It used more fuel and subjectivity felt like it had less power.
The car runs the original egr valve. I've cleaned it once. Manifold is clear.

#11 ·
I have ordered some bungs to stop coolant flowing through the cooler to test if this is the cause of my leak. Will also blank off the exhaust side of the pipe. Cant think where else it could be going :censored2:
Only £12, which I can live with. I assume that mapping out the EGR doesnt actually stop the coolant flowing into the egr cooler hence the reason why I want to remove it altogether. Like I said, I plan on fitting an egr delete and mapping out the EML error so didnt see the point of retaining the cooler, especially if it has sprung a leak. Just wanted views on whether removing the whole assembly is a good thing. I understand the environmental reasons for the EGR system but im not a fan of recycled exhaust going back through my engine, especially when you see the state of the intake etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.