Baby BMW Forum banner

135i exhaust onto 130i

11K views 63 replies 20 participants last post by  Twenny 
#1 ·
Tried to research this but can't find any conclusive answere on whether the above mod would provide more noise while looking standard still... I love my car but the sound is just a little lacking sometimes, i don't really want to go custom as i wouldn't like extra drone, just more of that straight 6 sound which doesn't really come out say for instance like an r32 does.

I realise the hangers will need to change but thats fine as could maybe get hold of the exhaust for £100ish.

Thoughts?

#53 ·
awhc said:
supercati said:
Yes, diameters are different.
It's one possible setup, but 135i muffler needs to be modified (shortened on one of the pipes before the muffler).
Any other advantages in using the 135i midpipe + 135i muffler other than increase in noise compared to 130i midpipe + 135i muffler?
I can't tell if using 135i midpipe gets more noise than 130i midpipe, honestly.

#54 ·
supercati said:
awhc said:
supercati said:
Yes, diameters are different.
It's one possible setup, but 135i muffler needs to be modified (shortened on one of the pipes before the muffler).
Any other advantages in using the 135i midpipe + 135i muffler other than increase in noise compared to 130i midpipe + 135i muffler?
Then how come some people choose to change to the 135i midpipe too?

#55 ·
awhc said:
supercati said:
awhc said:
Then how come some people choose to change to the 135i midpipe too?
..more noise again, have a look here for the differences in res, omitting it means less muffled and with the std 130i back box I think it also drones..

#60 ·
I got little bit drone with 135i backbox and Y pipe.

supercati said:
holland130i said:
I did the following:

I got some drone after the res delete...but with the 135i backbox the drone was gone and the sound is great...loud when on the pedal and silent when at constant speed!...

Perfect mod..only cost me 150,- or so inclusive the welding etc etc by an exhaust shop...
I did the same on my first 130i inspired by you, but never got the chance to record it. And I'm going to do the same on my current 130i :)

135i backbox + resonator delete = perfect sound.

#62 ·
You need to get the hangers moved as they're in a different position to the 130.

#64 ·
Mcarnell said:
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but does anyone know exactly what needs doing to the hangers on a 135i backbox to make them fit an e87 130i?

Just bought a 135i backbox and looking to fit it myself!
I'm guessing no as it's quite a fiddly job moving the hangars. Unless you're a legend with welding of course.

Depending on where you live I'd take it to these guys -

Or this is where I had mine done a few years ago -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.