Baby BMW Forum banner

135i exhaust onto 130i

11K views 63 replies 20 participants last post by  Twenny 
#1 Ā·
Tried to research this but can't find any conclusive answere on whether the above mod would provide more noise while looking standard still... I love my car but the sound is just a little lacking sometimes, i don't really want to go custom as i wouldn't like extra drone, just more of that straight 6 sound which doesn't really come out say for instance like an r32 does.

I realise the hangers will need to change but thats fine as could maybe get hold of the exhaust for Ā£100ish.

Thoughts?

#2 Ā·
Why not just get the 130i performance zorst? The 135i and 130 box is basically the same so the difference would be minimal for all the hassle moving the hangers

-------------------------
Monacoblau e87 1m
Imolarot 2 e46 330d saloon

#3 Ā·
135i backbox does increase noise a bit.

The way to go is a y pipe delete.

If you don't want to start cutting stuff up, then I suggest you go the BMWP backbox route.

#4 Ā·
Your battery box will not allow the dual mufflers of the 335i to fit. As a 335i owner, I second the recommendation of the BMW performance exhaust. It sounds better than the 335i exhaust anyways. The NA 6cyl is a pure exhilarating grow with a evil howl at high rpms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#5 Ā·
david in germany said:
Your battery box will not allow the dual mufflers of the 335i to fit. As a 335i owner, I second the recommendation of the BMW performance exhaust. It sounds better than the 335i exhaust anyways. The NA 6cyl is a pure exhilarating grow with a evil howl at high rpms.

I don't see 335i mentioned?

135i backbox retrofit is quite common and straight forward, just requires the hangers moving and an adapter making up.

#6 Ā·
Y pipe delete, will that increase drone though or just help when 'on it'? Does the 130i exhaust have a y pipe to delete or just the full 135i system? For Ā£100 may be worth buying the muffler then and sorting the hangere then maybe get a y pipe delete at same time.

Anyone got a rough idea of going the route above?

#7 Ā·
All the info you need is in here:

In essence:

This video tells you what you need to know about the res delete on the standard exhaust, then compares it to a res delete with a 135i backbox:

This one is a BMWP Y pipe from a 135i (same effect as above just the BMWP y pipe version) with a 135i backbox and gives you an idea of what it sounds like in car:

This video is exterior footage of a res delete and 135i backbox:

Then this is the BMWP exhaust with a res delete:

From my research, I'm pretty confident in saying the BMWP option is the loudest out there without doing a res delete, so if you want more noise you need to do a res delete.

I'm going to get a y pipe delete done and the 135i back box fitted. I've got all the bits in my garage ready to be fitted, just need to get it done.

I have a 135i backbox, couple of bolts and flanges make it up to Ā£100 + y pipe.

I then purchased one of these:

I have been quoted Ā£160 to get it all fitted.

#9 Ā·
lewisf182 said:
So roughly Ā£300 all in?
Hmmmm, bit more than I expected but might be able to get it fitted cheaper at a friends garage
Yes.

I've held off for the moment as I was debating about spending the extra on the BMWP exhaust.

But thinking about it, I'd probably want the res delete done with the BMWP anyway.

#10 Ā·
How about more noise for free?

Search for "golf tee mod".

This makes the butterfly in the far left pipe stay open all the time.

More rumble at lower revs for Ā£0.00 and 2mins of your time :twisted:

#12 Ā·
0l0dom0l0 said:
david in germany said:

I don't see 335i mentioned?

135i backbox retrofit is quite common and straight forward, just requires the hangers moving and an adapter making up.
Sorry, I misread. ;)

#13 Ā·
0l0dom0l0 said:
All the info you need is in here:

In essence:

This video tells you what you need to know about the res delete on the standard exhaust, then compares it to a res delete with a 135i backbox:

This one is a BMWP Y pipe from a 135i (same effect as above just the BMWP y pipe version) with a 135i backbox and gives you an idea of what it sounds like in car:

This video is exterior footage of a res delete and 135i backbox:

Then this is the BMWP exhaust with a res delete:

From my research, I'm pretty confident in saying the BMWP option is the loudest out there without doing a res delete, so if you want more noise you need to do a res delete.

I'm going to get a y pipe delete done and the 135i back box fitted. I've got all the bits in my garage ready to be fitted, just need to get it done.

I have a 135i backbox, couple of bolts and flanges make it up to Ā£100 + y pipe.

I then purchased one of these:

I have been quoted Ā£160 to get it all fitted.
sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm thinking of doing the same. Did that magna flow y section work? I'm in the process of hunting down parts. Does the 135i back box need much in the way of modifications to make it fit...

#14 Ā·
I did the following:

I got some drone after the res delete...but with the 135i backbox the drone was gone and the sound is great...loud when on the pedal and silent when at constant speed!...

Perfect mod..only cost me 150,- or so inclusive the welding etc etc by an exhaust shop...

:)

Mark.

#15 Ā·
holland130i said:
I did the following:

I got some drone after the res delete...but with the 135i backbox the drone was gone and the sound is great...loud when on the pedal and silent when at constant speed!...

Perfect mod..only cost me 150,- or so inclusive the welding etc etc by an exhaust shop...

Mark.
haha I have watched that video a few times and is, in part, my inspiration for doing this!! Did you use a stock 135i silencer? Also what y-pipe did you use? did you get the shop to make one up? I have seen this and was tempted to get it, along with a 135i box and take to an exhaust shop
?

#16 Ā·
wil said:
holland130i said:
I did the following:

Mark.
haha I have watched that video a few times and is, in part, my inspiration for doing this!! Did you use a stock 135i silencer? Also what y-pipe did you use? did you get the shop to make one up? I have seen this and was tempted to get it, along with a 135i box and take to an exhaust shop
?
That is the way forward. That mid pipe is cheap!

I would get it if I was doing this again.

#17 Ā·
wil said:
?
This is exactly my planned course of action after speaking to Dom about various iterations of his exhaust setup. The bastuck is as close to 'off the shelf' as you can buy. I've purchased a secondhand 135i back box, just need to take the plunge and buy the Bastuck res delete pipe.
It's worth noting that the Bastuck delete pipe will also need modifying as it's designed to be mated directly to the Bastuck back box, however it just looks like a case of chopping the end off (back box side) to suit.

This french thread is helpful, its a res delete on a 125i coupe but its exactly the same exhaust setup.

This German thread also shows you the differences between Bastuck res delete pipe and the standard centre silencer.

What i am unsure about is the best method to then install the delete pipe to the existing exhaust pipework, obviously welding will be involved but i'm hoping that a competent exhaust shop can advise on that.

I reckon a realistic cost for supply of/modify and install a 135i back box with Bastuck res delete pipe will be about Ā£400-Ā£450
- Good condition 135i backbox Ā£90 (That's what I paid, I found prices fluctuated wildly plus they don't come up very often)
- Bastuck centre res delete Ā£170 delivered (Ebay)
- I'm expecting to pay between Ā£150-Ā£200 for a good exhaust shop to modify the two parts and install them.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone has got the above fitted for considerably cheaper and if so, where?!

#18 Ā·
mrc300 said:
wil said:
?
This is exactly my planned course of action after speaking to Dom about various iterations of his exhaust setup. The bastuck is as close to 'off the shelf' as you can buy. I've purchased a secondhand 135i back box, just need to take the plunge and buy the Bastuck res delete pipe.
It's worth noting that the Bastuck delete pipe will also need modifying as it's designed to be mated directly to the Bastuck back box, however it just looks like a case of chopping the end off (back box side) to suit.

This french thread is helpful, its a res delete on a 125i coupe but its exactly the same exhaust setup.

This German thread also shows you the differences between Bastuck res delete pipe and the standard centre silencer.

What i am unsure about is the best method to then install the delete pipe to the existing exhaust pipework, obviously welding will be involved but i'm hoping that a competent exhaust shop can advise on that.

I reckon a realistic cost for supply of/modify and install a 135i back box with Bastuck res delete pipe will be about Ā£400-Ā£450
- Good condition 135i backbox Ā£90 (That's what I paid, I found prices fluctuated wildly plus they don't come up very often)
- Bastuck centre res delete Ā£170 delivered (Ebay)
- I'm expecting to pay between Ā£150-Ā£200 for a good exhaust shop to modify the two parts and install them.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone has got the above fitted for considerably cheaper and if so, where?!
From the links above, especially the french one, the bastuck piece just slips over the existing down pipe and is clamped onto it. So it wouldn't be hard to fit at all. It's just the back box end of it that is the unknown. However, to be honest fitting a 135 backbox would probably make this whole process easier as you have all the pipe that comes off the 135 backbox attached to it as well, so therefore you could just cut both bits on a straight, weld an adapter in and it'd all bolt straight up.

I'll take the plunge on the new mid pipe when I get a chance and report back. it looks good quality and I'm starting to get bored of the fact mine is leaking again. I cannot get it to seal.

Have a look at getting an exhaust place to make the whole bit up for you as it might be cheaper.

Mine would have been perfect for the Ā£70 if it didn't leak at the join.

#20 Ā·
wil said:
holland130i said:
I did the following:

Mark.
?
Good to hear...thats why i put the video on the tube...so others can get inspired!!
yes its a stock backbox from a 135i e82... bought for 120 euro...(100 pounds more or less) it was in perfect shape,was under original car for only 10.000 miles!
y-pipe from the exhaust shop...pretty standart stainless steel they use pretty much everywhere...just welded between where the resonator sat.
so i just payed for the backbox and then the exhaust shop for welding and the y-pipe.

Doesnt get cheaper than this for great sound... there are better sounding ones,but they cost wayyyyyyy too much money for the little better sound....but thats my opinion offcourse ;-)

Mark.

#21 Ā·
wil said:
I'm still looking for a second hand 135i back box then I'll get that mid pipe and take it somewhere locally to be cut up and welded!
look on ebay.de/kleinanzeigen...there are at least 2 for sale!!

Mark.

#22 Ā·
holland130i said:
I did the following:

I did the same on my first 130i inspired by you, but never got the chance to record it. And I'm going to do the same on my current 130i :)

135i backbox + resonator delete = perfect sound.

#23 Ā·
supercati said:
holland130i said:
I did the following:

I did the same on my first 130i inspired by you, but never got the chance to record it. And I'm going to do the same on my current 130i :)

Good to hear mate!!

Yes it is...especially for the little money it costs to do this...

Mark.

#25 Ā·
holland130i said:
supercati said:
holland130i said:
I did the following:

Good to hear mate!!

Mark.
Off topic but where did you get your rear diffuser mate?

#26 Ā·
James89 said:
holland130i said:
supercati said:

Good to hear mate!!

Mark.
Off topic but where did you get your rear diffuser mate?
Its the original diffuser mate, i painted it gloss black šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘Š

Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.