130i hunters unite!

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

AndyBish135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by AndyBish135i » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm

You should have enough posts to start a ‘For Sale’ thread now G1nge... :wink:
‘10’ plate N54 135i in Black Sapphire
6MT/CIC/Cruise/Xenons/Custom mids/BMWP MFSW and knob/Darklines/Zito935/BBMW CF Splitter & Diffuser/SSDD CF spoiler
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94948&start=120

G1NGE

Post by G1NGE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 pm

G1NGE wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:52 pm
paddyboy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm
G1NGE wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Well spotted, doesn't surprise me; it will be listed incorrectly then. Probably stay away from this example anyway as there are cleaner ones for sale out there.

Anyone interested in mine? What about if I brought the price down a little for a forum member?
Where's the advert?
I can't seem to find the 'create post' on the classifieds section. I tried to list it this week ... am I allowed yet to post in there? I also got BMW to print an original spec sheet which I will photograph too for viewers.
I found it! 'New Topic'
I'm away this weekend so will aim to get it listed asap early next week. BMW currently have it as we speak because I am moaning at them to sort the Vanos Solenoids. They replaced both knock sensors but I am still getting the symptoms. So, it will be fully up together with all the little niggles rectified under warranty, fully documented.

G1NGE

Post by G1NGE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:31 pm

G1NGE wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:52 pm
paddyboy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm
G1NGE wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Well spotted, doesn't surprise me; it will be listed incorrectly then. Probably stay away from this example anyway as there are cleaner ones for sale out there.

Anyone interested in mine? What about if I brought the price down a little for a forum member?
Where's the advert?
I can't seem to find the 'create post' on the classifieds section. I tried to list it this week ... am I allowed yet to post in there? I also got BMW to print an original spec sheet which I will photograph too for viewers.
Managed to get it done this evening... browse to classifieds and tell me what you think... hopefully it is listed well. :)

G1NGE

Post by G1NGE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:33 pm

AndyBish135i wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm
You should have enough posts to start a ‘For Sale’ thread now G1nge... :wink:
Cheers Andy :)

G1NGE

Post by G1NGE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:36 pm

130iwanted wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm
Thanks for the link - I did see that one but it doesn't have the heated seat buttons under the climate control so I think the description is an error (unless some cars had the buttons else where?)

Fortunately I've found one locally and put a deposit down. I'll start a newbie thread with details once collected later this week!

G1NGE wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am

Hi Stew

Have you seen this one? Electric, heated seats... miles are a bit high, but as long as it has been well maintained, these engines are strong. You may want to consider replacing things like shocks, springs etc if you like to modify your cars a bit...?

Anyway, good luck with the search. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-130i-M-s ... SwzRpaOQa2
Perfect, well done. Look forward to seeing it. :)

Shaoxter

Post by Shaoxter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi guys, just joined the forum and I guess I've also joined the back of what seems to be quite a long queue for a 130i!
Looking for a general runabout car with a bit of character and practicality, and some 130i's just about creep into budget.

Without wanting to start a massive debate, is an auto transmission acceptable for one of these?
This one ticks a lot of the boxes for me, but not sure if I will be disappointed with the auto box. However... I live in London and most of my cars have been autos so I must be one of the few people who might actually prefer a slushbox!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-Series ... 3037943093

G1NGE

Post by G1NGE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Shaoxter wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 pm
Hi guys, just joined the forum and I guess I've also joined the back of what seems to be quite a long queue for a 130i!
Looking for a general runabout car with a bit of character and practicality, and some 130i's just about creep into budget.

Without wanting to start a massive debate, is an auto transmission acceptable for one of these?
This one ticks a lot of the boxes for me, but not sure if I will be disappointed with the auto box. However... I live in London and most of my cars have been autos so I must be one of the few people who might actually prefer a slushbox!
Hello and welcome to the forum! I can offer first hand experience of owning an automatic 130i and I must say I have not been disappointing with it at all. In fact, it is currently up for sale.

The automatic box for me wasn't really what I was looking for, as I prefer manual, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to buy my car. Anyway, the auto box is lots of fun if you want it to be, for example, in manual sport mode. Then, in drive mode it is so smooth and you can just potter around using all the low down torque for which the 130s are famous. There is also the automatic sport mode which holds the gears longer but this really requires a quiet road and no police or speed cameras about, or a track day, to get the best out of it; I am surprised at how quick my car is in this mode, however, and how little throttle I need to apply for it to still push on forward like a rocket. It's an effortless driving mode and lots of fun on the right stretch of road.

I like the auto box because it does not let you over rev the engine at all. It changes automatically for you on the red line in sport mode (drive mode changes slightly slower and earlier than red line) and you cannot ever select the incorrect gear for the revs you are doing at the time. Using the kick down is also loads of fun as it selects the lowest possible gear allowable and you can seriously chew some rubber when using it. I love how you can feel the rear tyres dig into the tarmac on a nice dry day, vrooooom and off you go.

Of course, the auto box will never give you that pure driving experience you get with a manual. What I will say though is I think a driver would be hard pushed to change gear quick enough in a manual and it would be interesting on a track day to see which box and driver had the edge.

I also love the fact that it is a proper torque converter automatic so there is virtually no maintenance or replacing parts. If a gearbox failed for any reason, a new unit is £4500 + labour to fit! Make sure a decent warranty is in place. I have the BMW one which I extend every year.

I will be a very sad boy when my car sells. But my wife will be happy!!

Hope I haven't rattled on too much and that you find this post helpful.

Oh yes, I better not forget to mention that the government also demand £530 a year for road tax with an auto, which is a killer! One of the cheapest things for me about running my car is my insurance policy, at £260 a year fully comp with protected no claims! Good on you Admiral!

Shaoxter

Post by Shaoxter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks, useful ramblings indeed :mrgreen:
I've owned auto 6 cylinder E46 and E90s and never had a problem with the gearbox, point to point around London it's definitely quicker than a manual. But not sure if they take away some of the ethos of a smaller BMW, will only know when I try one I guess...

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 pm

G1NGE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:30 pm
Shaoxter wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! I can offer first hand experience of owning an automatic 130i and I must say I have not been disappointing with it at all. In fact, it is currently up for sale.

The automatic box for me wasn't really what I was looking for, as I prefer manual, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to buy my car. Anyway, the auto box is lots of fun if you want it to be, for example, in manual sport mode. Then, in drive mode it is so smooth and you can just potter around using all the low down torque for which the 130s are famous. There is also the automatic sport mode which holds the gears longer but this really requires a quiet road and no police or speed cameras about, or a track day, to get the best out of it; I am surprised at how quick my car is in this mode, however, and how little throttle I need to apply for it to still push on forward like a rocket. It's an effortless driving mode and lots of fun on the right stretch of road.

I like the auto box because it does not let you over rev the engine at all. It changes automatically for you on the red line in sport mode (drive mode changes slightly slower and earlier than red line) and you cannot ever select the incorrect gear for the revs you are doing at the time. Using the kick down is also loads of fun as it selects the lowest possible gear allowable and you can seriously chew some rubber when using it. I love how you can feel the rear tyres dig into the tarmac on a nice dry day, vrooooom and off you go.

Of course, the auto box will never give you that pure driving experience you get with a manual. What I will say though is I think a driver would be hard pushed to change gear quick enough in a manual and it would be interesting on a track day to see which box and driver had the edge.

I also love the fact that it is a proper torque converter automatic so there is virtually no maintenance or replacing parts. If a gearbox failed for any reason, a new unit is £4500 + labour to fit! Make sure a decent warranty is in place. I have the BMW one which I extend every year.

I will be a very sad boy when my car sells. But my wife will be happy!!

Hope I haven't rattled on too much and that you find this post helpful.

Oh yes, I better not forget to mention that the government also demand £530 a year for road tax with an auto, which is a killer! One of the cheapest things for me about running my car is my insurance policy, at £260 a year fully comp with protected no claims! Good on you Admiral!
I agree with most of that apart from the auto having the edge over a manual on track , slushers have there place but it certainly ain’t on a track ! For driving round town autos win , my X335d has the later zf box and it’s a joy to drive .
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

G1NGE

Post by G1NGE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 pm

I agree with most of that apart from the auto having the edge over a manual on track , slushers have there place but it certainly ain’t on a track ! For driving round town autos win , my X335d has the later zf box and it’s a joy to drive .
[/quote]

Fair point about the track Mark... I think I'll stand corrected. I don't actually have any track experience, so it was more of an imagination. It was something my dad said to me when I was hurtling around a few local roundabouts in the summer; he said he didn't think a driver could change gear quick enough (in a manual) on approach and through the exit, which got me thinking.

Mind you, the more I drive my automatic in a spirited fashion, the more I long for a manual. There is something to be said about that physical gear change. I bet the 130s with short shift are lots of fun!

When I first looked for 130s about 2 and a half years ago, when Jason Barker was still working with Kevin Bird, there was a beauty of a car - 130iLE, literally with every performance mod going, and I nearly bit the bullet and went for it. But at £12500 it was just too much for me and I was worried it would be overkill for my wife driving around town! Wish I could have bought it though.

Mind you, I agree that new ZF box is effortless. I had a test drive in an M240i the other day, and I was blown away with the mid range power! The autobahns beckon!

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BMWBrad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm

SSK compliments the 130i very nicely
Pampered E81 130i
(Alpinweiss, Black Boston, CC, Adaptive Xenons, Pro HU w/BT & USB, F&R PDC)
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- Darklines- L7 Mids & Tweeters

Shaoxter

Post by Shaoxter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Time for a bit of a rant... I've contacted 5 or 6 sellers and only had a reply from 1 of them (to tell me the car was sold).
I probably should try calling them but I don't think I've ever had such a bad email response rate for any other car I've looked for previously!
Is this a trait of 1 series owners? :P

nivens
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by nivens » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Shaoxter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:44 pm
Time for a bit of a rant... I've contacted 5 or 6 sellers and only had a reply from 1 of them (to tell me the car was sold).
I probably should try calling them but I don't think I've ever had such a bad email response rate for any other car I've looked for previously!
Is this a trait of 1 series owners? :P
I found this as well, it's utterly bizarre that people go to the trouble of putting their cars up for sale then ignore buyers. That being said, Gumtree seems to have some sort of garbage filtering system that stops sellers getting messages from buyers sometimes so it seems best to call or text on there.
2006 E87 130i

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Poormans » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Simples, they don't really want to sell 8)
shooting brake

Fritz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fritz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 am

Surely it's best to call the seller then you have a response straight away (usually). You also get an idea as to what type of person they are too which can also tell you how the car has been treated. When it comes to car buying I would always call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”