Baby BMW Forum banner

130i hunters unite!

296K views 3K replies 350 participants last post by  DanJE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for a 130i? Got questions about age, spec, mileage, common issues, or ownership in general? This is the thread for you!

Since this thread was started, a Facebook group under the same name has been created. BabyBMW is not connected to that group, so we can't help with any issues or questions you have related to it (i.e. getting rejected/banned from it). Sorry.

This thread was originally started by forum member Rodders in 2016, and has since grown to become possibly the most comprehensive collection of information about the 130i that exists outside of BMW's libraries. Now that he's no longer around, the thread has been adopted by the BabyBMW Staff to preserve its contents and keep the information flowing.

#1,327 ·
Hi all

First time posting here, and perhaps not for the most positive of reasons. Have recently had a baby, which is great. I also own a 130i M Sport LE. This is also great. However it turns out that my initial stubbornness of not wanting to believe that a 3 door hatch would in any way prove impractical is now being tested :rollseyes:

I've owned it for the last three years, have looked after it, had it paint corrected and regularly detailed, wheels refurbed, new rubber, serviced once a year... I love it, BUT

Baby.

Giving serious consideration to selling in the next few months, just interested if you think demand might be high for the car because of the usual highlights, great engine, drive, spec etc. etc. or whether it will take months to sell.

I'm also not 100% sure about what to get instead, as I know it's going to be hard to come anywhere near what I've got. Plus my budget vs. mileage expectations limit any thoughts of M cars or similar.

Currently thinking a 320i M Sport Manual Touring, 2013, 38k, sapphire grey trim (did see a 2014 steptronic but assumed engine power too low to even think about this as an option?). Also had a brief fantasy about a 2010 S4 but just thinking about maintenance costs...

Where to start :|

#1,329 ·
Rabidegiraffe said:
Hi all

First time posting here, and perhaps not for the most positive of reasons. Have recently had a baby, which is great. I also own a 130i M Sport LE. This is also great. However it turns out that my initial stubbornness of not wanting to believe that a 3 door hatch would in any way prove impractical is now being tested :rollseyes:

I've owned it for the last three years, have looked after it, had it paint corrected and regularly detailed, wheels refurbed, new rubber, serviced once a year... I love it, BUT

Baby.

Giving serious consideration to selling in the next few months, just interested if you think demand might be high for the car because of the usual highlights, great engine, drive, spec etc. etc. or whether it will take months to sell.

I'm also not 100% sure about what to get instead, as I know it's going to be hard to come anywhere near what I've got. Plus my budget vs. mileage expectations limit any thoughts of M cars or similar.

Currently thinking a 320i M Sport Manual Touring, 2013, 38k, sapphire grey trim (did see a 2014 steptronic but assumed engine power too low to even think about this as an option?). Also had a brief fantasy about a 2010 S4 but just thinking about maintenance costs...

An e91 Tourer is a great car! I have a 330i.

However I wouldn't dream of having a smaller engine as I personally think it might be too under powered for the size and weight of the car. I have to admit I have to work my 330i to get her shifting, so could only assume that a 320i would be a real struggle once loaded others.

A 325 or 330d would be great for a e91 in my opinion, lots of torque to play with and wouldn't be a disappointing move from a 130i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,330 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

I think any continuation of the 1 series is out of the question :lol2:

Re. e91 and underpowered estates - I was under the impression that the n20 engined tourings (aware of potential coil pack/injection issues) including the ones I've been looking at can be pretty easily remapped from 181 to 214bhp at stage 1, which will most likely bring the performance a little closer to the 7 second mark. A whole second slower than my 130i but I think I can deal with that compromise. Perhaps.

Struggling to find a 328i in the same spec/mileage/price range. Looking at sub 50k mileage with a minimum of the M sport packs, so a bit limiting.

Interesting to see that 130 LE on AT at 9k+, gives me some idea what I could sell for...

#1,331 ·
..all depends on what it actually sells for.

Mine isn't an LE, but it is 2009 with 44k and I paid a LOT less than that.
It also had £10,500 of extras fitted at build.

The LE on AT has iDrive and leather, but doesn't look like it has other stuff, like heated seats (or cruise?).

I just tried a lookup on the reg., but the VIN returned doesn't appear valid according to vindecoder :?:

#1,332 ·
simonpa said:
..all depends on what it actually sells for.

Mine isn't an LE, but it is 2009 with 44k and I paid a LOT less than that.
It also had £10,500 of extras fitted at build.

The LE on AT has iDrive and leather, but doesn't look like it has other stuff, like heated seats (or cruise?).

I just tried a lookup on the reg., but the VIN returned doesn't appear valid according to vindecoder :?:
True. No heated seats/cruise control on mine. It does amuse me that heated seats are such a big thing for people, but fair enough. There certainly appears to be a price premium on the LEs vs. the standard 130s so 8-9k doesn't seem unreasonable for a decent example. I think I overpaid slightly for mine 3 years ago @ 11k with 52k on the clock.

Had a chat with a dealer and according to him mine at (70k) is currently around 8500 or 6k at trade. But as you say, depends who is in the market for one - timing and luck.

I'd be happy with 8k or above, TBH

#1,333 ·
simonpa said:
Here you go :bigsmile:

Options

1CB
Co2 Content Co2 Umfang

1CD
Brake Energy Regeneration Brake Energy Regeneration

2HK
Lt/aly Wheels Radial Spoke 216 Mb Lm Raeder Radialsp. 216 / Mb

Multi-function For Steering Wheel Multifunktion Fuer Lenkrad

Alarm System Alarmanlage

4B3
Interior Trim Alu. Accentuated Pattern. Interieurleisten Alu Akzentschliff

Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours

Warning Triangle Warndreieck

Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend

Smokers Package Raucherpaket

Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory Sitzverstellung, Elektr.mit Memory

Child Seat Isofix Attachment Kindersitzbefestigung Isofix

Armrest, Front Armauflage Vorn

Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer

Storage Compartment Package Ablagenpaket

5DC
Folding Rear-seat Headrests Fondkopfstuetzen Klappbar

Headlight Washer System Scheinwerfer-waschanlage

Park Distance Control (pdc) Park Distance Control (pdc)

Rain Sensor Regensensor

Xenon Light Xenon-licht

Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik

Lights Package Lichtpaket

6FL
Usb-/audio Interface Usb-audio-schnittstelle

Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional

Bmw Assist Bmw Assist

Voice Input System Spracheingabesystem

Prep.mob. Ph. Business Bluet.interf. Handy Vorb. Business/bluetooth-sch.

Hifi Loudspeaker System Hifi Lautsprechersystem

7MS
Limited Sport Edition Limited Sport Edition

M Sport Suspension M Sportfahrwerk

M Leather Steering Wheel M Lederlenkrad

M Aerodynamics Package M Aerodynamikpaket

Individual Roof-lining Anthracite Individual Dachhimmel Anthrazit

8SM
Vin, Visible From Outside Fahrgestellnummer,v.aussen Sichtbar

8SP
Cop Control Cop Steuerung

8S2
Coding Of Alarm Signal Kodierung Alarmsignal

8S3
Automatic Lock When Driving Away Autom. Verriegelung Beim Anfahren

England Version England/irland Ausfuehrung

Add Fuel Tank Filling For Export Zusaetzl. Tankfuellung Export

Europe/dealer Directory Service Kontakt-flyer Europa

Deletion Cross-over Operation Ueberkreuzbedienung Entfall

English / On-board Documentation Englisch / Bordliteratur

9AA
External Skin Protection Aussenhautschutz

Order Control First Dealer Cars Auftragssteuerung Hea

#1,334 ·
Rabidegiraffe said:
Hi all

Baby.

Depends on your budget really.

Biggest requirement is being able to get the car seat in and out easily. Back doors definitely needed.
Next requirement is easy loading / unloading of the folded pushchair. A 1 series is no good for this. For this it's much easier if it can load in lengthways and not crossways, that way you don't have to get everything out each time, althoigh you'll need a largeish estate car for this.

I'd suggest some sort of estate car.
I managed pretty well with a B5 Audi S4 and if I were looking again with a newborn would go with a B8 S4. Can't see an issue with maintenance on those - they're all normal A4 parts apart from the supercharger. A bit thirsty I've heard though. RS4 will cost to maintain - but it is the greatest family wagon. My B5 RS4 was fantastic - and practical!
330i Touring would work.
335i Touring?
330d Touring?
335d Touring?

A roofbox helps when going on holiday too!

#1,335 ·
Rabidegiraffe said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I think any continuation of the 1 series is out of the question :lol2:

Re. e91 and underpowered estates - I was under the impression that the n20 engined tourings (aware of potential coil pack/injection issues) including the ones I've been looking at can be pretty easily remapped from 181 to 214bhp at stage 1, which will most likely bring the performance a little closer to the 7 second mark. A whole second slower than my 130i but I think I can deal with that compromise. Perhaps.

Struggling to find a 328i in the same spec/mileage/price range. Looking at sub 50k mileage with a minimum of the M sport packs, so a bit limiting.

Interesting to see that 130 LE on AT at 9k+, gives me some idea what I could sell for...
When you say remapping can gain extra power, if you're looking at the e91 then I'm not so sure you would get much out of it due to the fact the 4 pots have no turbo. The F31 320i does have a turbo and probably would have a fair amount of power to gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,338 ·
A new Facebook group BMW 130i Owners Unite has just started up dedicated specifically to 130i owners

"For owners of BMW 130i cars to share photos, info inspiration and appreciation wherever you may be.

Previous 130i owners and potential buyers are all welcome.

E81, E87, M Sport, SE and LE models mods or stock".

It's only been going a week or so and its got 64 members so far

So please show your support, have a look, join the group + get posting :spotman:

#1,340 ·
#1,341 ·
paddyboy said:
A new Facebook group BMW 130i Owners Unite has just started up dedicated specifically to 130i owners

"For owners of BMW 130i cars to share photos, info inspiration and appreciation wherever you may be.

So please show your support, have a look, join the group + get posting :spotman:

Nice, just requested to join.

I was looking for a group recently actually!

#1,342 ·
Boombap said:
paddyboy said:

Nice, just requested to join.

I was looking for a group recently actually!
Good one Boombap :D

It's nice here but there's also something nice about such a small niche group as well

Its early days for the group yet but its all gotta start somewhere :spotman:

#1,343 ·
paddyboy said:

I will give it miss thanks, Facebook is killing car forums along with many other things with people constantly staring at the phones scrolling all the crap on there and *****ing amongst themselves!, don't get me wrong it has its uses but its no replacement for decent forums like this and one :)...once people start getting sucked into Facebook crap then forums die and all info and useful people stop visiting and that's like end of the world :lol2:

#1,344 ·
THETYRANT said:
paddyboy said:

I will give it miss thanks, Facebook is killing car forums along with many other things with people constantly staring at the phones scrolling all the crap on there and *****ing amongst themselves!, don't get me wrong it has its uses but its no replacement for decent forums like this and one :)...once people start getting sucked into Facebook crap then forums die and all info and useful people stop visiting and that's like end of the world :lol2:
I agree to an extent, I joined the 1 series group and it's just people asking the same stupid questions day after day (a few stray m badges too, but let's not go there :lol2: ). I mean they could you know, just use Google? The 130i group is actually quite nice to be honest, seems very friendly and I think it's just a bit more accessible for a lot of people. I can't see Facebook groups killing off forums like this though, they're just not structured as well.

#1,346 ·
Davoaj said:
Just added my 5 door, manual, black sapphire to the classifieds.

Would welcome any thoughts on the car/ad.

Only for sale on here for time being, but will be advertising elsewhere later in the week.

Cheers
Looks like a good ad to me

You seem about right with the price and you've got that nice light interior in your favour against all those black cars with black interior - just all too dark

I think if anybody is interested they will be in touch with you wanting full service history details along with registration plate number to check MOT history

GLWTS

#1,348 ·
Davoaj said:
Just added my 5 door, manual, black sapphire to the classifieds.

Would welcome any thoughts on the car/ad.

Only for sale on here for time being, but will be advertising elsewhere later in the week.

Cheers
Looks great mate. I reckon you could have put it up for 6k & got what you're after. Low mileage example. GLWS I'm sure someone will snap it off your hands soon enough.

#1,349 ·
Thanks mate, prices do seem to be all over the place on different sites. It's a good example, but tried to be realistic with what I'm asking for.

Already had some interest on here, with a few conversations ongoing on PM. Will wait until the weekend before listing it elsewhere to see how those enquiries progress.

#1,350 ·
stanced walker said:
hi I'm new here. have had several bmws over the years. I have currently got a 330d e46 touring. looking to downsize and get back into a straight six petrol. if anyone had a good specd 130i m sport manual preferably in me man's blue get in touch please.
thanks Sam
I have sent you an email as I have a 3.0i manual 2009 Sport manual facelift model for sale, its listed on pistoheads classified at £6450 ono (wifes car)

#1,351 ·
rallycross said:
stanced walker said:
hi I'm new here. have had several bmws over the years. I have currently got a 330d e46 touring. looking to downsize and get back into a straight six petrol. if anyone had a good specd 130i m sport manual preferably in me man's blue get in touch please.
thanks Sam
I have sent you an email as I have a 3.0i manual 2009 Sport manual facelift model for sale, its listed on pistoheads classified at £6450 ono (wifes car)
Sounds very cheap for such a late car - what's the mileage?