New (to me) 123d Owner

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

iantek

New (to me) 123d Owner

Post by iantek » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Hello! Thought I'd introduce myself, I've owned my 123d for a week and I absolutely love it! It's a 2008 hatchback with 5 doors (I'm still not fully clued up on which 'E' number it is), M-Sport with a pretty decent spec I think (gave BMW a call and gave them the VIN):
Heated seats
Xenon lights
Cruise control
Metallic paint
Boston leather interior
Folding electric mirrors
Aluminum interior trim
Sun protection glass
Enhanced blue tooth
Professional radio with speaker upgrade
Comfort pack.

I've been trawling through this site to try and learn as much as I can about these cars. Lots of recommendations to get a remap but at the moment (it's a standard car) it's easily the quickest car I've owned. It might be something I do in the future but I do worry about affecting reliability. Its currently on 88k miles and I want to see it complete many more so I feel a remap might be tempting fate?

Basically, I'm really happy with my car!
E87, 123d, M-Sport, 2008, Le Mans Blue.

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: New (to me) 123d Owner

Post by jgalea324 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:15 am

iantek wrote:Hello! Thought I'd introduce myself, I've owned my 123d for a week and I absolutely love it! It's a 2008 hatchback with 5 doors (I'm still not fully clued up on which 'E' number it is), M-Sport with a pretty decent spec I think (gave BMW a call and gave them the VIN):
Heated seats
Xenon lights
Cruise control
Metallic paint
Boston leather interior
Folding electric mirrors
Aluminum interior trim
Sun protection glass
Enhanced blue tooth
Comfort pack.

I've been trawling through this site to try and learn as much as I can about these cars. Lots of recommendations to get a remap but at the moment (it's a standard car) it's easily the quickest car I've owned. It might be something I do in the future but I do worry about affecting reliability. Its currently on 88k miles and I want to see it complete many more so I feel a remap might be tempting fate?

Welcome! Looks like a greatly specced car, but we definitely need pics to appreciate it better :) FYI it's an E87 since it's a 5 door

Best to get used to its current power before remapping as it's quite a handful as standard. Make sure you ditch the runflats for a more compliant ride - that's your first port of call. A remap at a well renowned shop such as Ecotune or BW Chiptune will not have significant adverse effects on the engine and is worth every penny, but you'll have to decrease service intervals i.e. service more often
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528

iantek

Post by iantek » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 am

jgalea324 wrote:
iantek wrote:Hello! Thought I'd introduce myself, I've owned my 123d for a week and I absolutely love it! It's a 2008 hatchback with 5 doors (I'm still not fully clued up on which 'E' number it is), M-Sport with a pretty decent spec I think (gave BMW a call and gave them the VIN):
Heated seats
Xenon lights
Cruise control
Metallic paint
Boston leather interior
Folding electric mirrors
Aluminum interior trim
Sun protection glass
Enhanced blue tooth
Comfort pack.

Welcome! Looks like a greatly specced car, but we definitely need pics to appreciate it better :) FYI it's an E87 since it's a 5 door

Best to get used to its current power before remapping as it's quite a handful as standard. Make sure you ditch the runflats for a more compliant ride - that's your first port of call. A remap at a well renowned shop such as Ecotune or BW Chiptune will not have significant adverse effects on the engine and is worth every penny, but you'll have to decrease service intervals i.e. service more often
Thanks jgalea, I'll post some pics at some point but the weather is awful at the moment and I've yet to get chance to give it a good clean. Remapping is a plan for maybe six to twelve months off yet as I need to settle in with the car while it's stock. I test drove a 130i and a 330d and they were both incredibly quick! So something along the lines of the 130i, performance wise would be brilliant. Ditching the run flats is definitely on the cards. I've previously had an E60 520d which I replaced the run flats with 'normal' tyres (Falkens I think, it was a while ago) and the difference was quite marked.

Upping the service intervals is something I have in mind anyway. The car currently has full BMWSH and I'm not sure whether to keep this up or not? I've DIY serviced our last two cars but they were both snotters!
E87, 123d, M-Sport, 2008, Le Mans Blue.

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:08 am

iantek wrote: Upping the service intervals is something I have in mind anyway. The car currently has full BMWSH and I'm not sure whether to keep this up or not? I've DIY serviced our last two cars but they were both snotters!
I'd honestly keep it up to retain a higher resale value. You can get any mods done by an indy or DIY, but when it comes to regular services such as oil changes etc, might as well use BMW. Of course it depends on how much they charge...
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”