Car Cleaning - What products do you use?

Bring back that shine to your BMW.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

scov1984
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Car Cleaning - What products do you use?

Post by scov1984 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 pm

As per the title.... so many different products on the market these days!!

What's your car cleaning routine, and what products do you use?

I have a sapphire black M140i. It's a September 2017 (67) model and I'm keen to keep it looking as new and shiny as I can!

Current products I'm using:

Pro Kleen Snow foam - I'm not sure if this stuff is thick enough. Any others use this?

I'm using 'Trolls Breath' by Pro Kleen which is a PH neutral wheel cleaner and iron contamination remover and actually seems to be doing a good job. Has anyone else used this product?

Washing using a Meguiars wool mitt and Simoniz wash and wax - this does not foam up enough so I think I need to invest in a better car shampoo

Using Simoniz tyre dressing and it lasts for like 1 day!! - any recommendations of a good tyre dressing that lasts?

I originally sealed the paint with Gyeon can coat and have recently bought 'Purity X' but haven't used it yet. Has anyone used either of those?

Looking at buying Poorboy's wax but I'm thinking it's a bit too early to be waxing new paint after just 2 months when I've already used the can coat?

I have Gyeon leather cleaner. It's a new car so it's not really been tested yet, but I feel my Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner was possibly more effective.

I'm getting more into 'detailing' but as you can probably tell I'm doing it a little bit through trial and error and I'm totally confused by the vast array of products out there. Interested to see what other people on here use/recommend? Are there any 'must have' products?
Arrived!: M140i Shadow Edition, 5dr Auto
Gone: Audi A5 2.0T Revo stage 1

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Car Cleaning - What products do you use?

Post by Mooeeey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Pro Kleen Snow foam - I'm not sure if this stuff is thick enough. Any others use this?
I've just started using this (non coloured version). It seems pretty good. I find it plenty thick. If you're finding it to runny it could be your foam lance is mixing in too much water, or you just need to dilute it less in the lance bottle.
I'm using 'Trolls Breath' by Pro Kleen which is a PH neutral wheel cleaner and iron contamination remover and actually seems to be doing a good job. Has anyone else used this product?
I gave this a go because of the price. It was ok, but didn't perform as well as what I normally use (Dragon's Breath).

Apart from those I mostly use Autoglym products. I find them good value for money :)
Now: F21 M140i
My past BMWs: F21 M135i | F20 120d Sport | E46 M3 | E46 325Ci Sport | E90 320d SE | E87 118d Sport

rtorbs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rtorbs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 am

scov1984 wrote:As per the title.... so many different products on the market these days!!

I have a sapphire black M140i. It's a September 2017 (67) model and I'm keen to keep it looking as new and shiny as I can!

Washing using a Meguiars wool mitt and Simoniz wash and wax - this does not foam up enough so I think I need to invest in a better car shampoo

Using Simoniz tyre dressing and it lasts for like 1 day!! - any recommendations of a good tyre dressing that lasts?

I originally sealed the paint with Gyeon can coat and have recently bought 'Purity X' but haven't used it yet. Has anyone used either of those?

Looking at buying Poorboy's wax but I'm thinking it's a bit too early to be waxing new paint after just 2 months when I've already used the can coat?

I have Gyeon leather cleaner. It's a new car so it's not really been tested yet, but I feel my Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner was possibly more effective.

I'm getting more into 'detailing' but as you can probably tell I'm doing it a little bit through trial and error and I'm totally confused by the vast array of products out there. Interested to see what other people on here use/recommend? Are there any 'must have' products?
My last car was black.....used sh*t loads of waxes over the years but Poorboy's specifically do a black wax that really enhances the depth of colour and gives a super wet look

This stuff

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/poorb ... _1664.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am

I just use a sponge and fairy liquid on mine every 6 months, works a treat. :spotman:

Just kidding, I bought this kit when I got mine as I like Meguiars stuff:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car- ... count+Code
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

scov1984
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by scov1984 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 pm

rtorbs wrote:
scov1984 wrote:As per the title.... so many different products on the market these days!!

My last car was black.....used sh*t loads of waxes over the years but Poorboy's specifically do a black wax that really enhances the depth of colour and gives a super wet look

This stuff

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/poorb ... _1664.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies guys.

Re the Poorboys wax I was actually looking at that but it's currently sold out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arrived!: M140i Shadow Edition, 5dr Auto
Gone: Audi A5 2.0T Revo stage 1

AP118i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by AP118i » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

I rate Autoglym Conditioning Shampoo and use Autogym Super Resin Polish followed by Maguires Ultimate Quick wax spray (seriously quick and easy with a decent finish and longevity). You won't need the polish on yours though.

Pep675cc
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Pep675cc » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 pm

I don't bother cleaning mine.......seriously though I cleaned it two weeks ago and this is how dirty she is now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

M140i Melbourne Red, driver comfort pack, heated seats, PDC rear, sport auto box,Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, black kidney grills, black mirrors, black fins
420d Msport convertible with all the goodies for those sunny days 8)

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Pep675cc wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 pm
I don't bother cleaning mine.......seriously though I cleaned it two weeks ago and this is how dirty she is now.
Mine looked similar, a bit worse in fact last weekend.

At this time of year it's just a quick once over with an all in one wash and wax as it will be dirty in 5 minutes of driving anyway.

Once the winter salt is off the roads I'll be giving it a full clean down and then get some Gtechniq on it.

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am
I just use a sponge and fairy liquid on mine every 6 months, works a treat. :spotman:

How much 😮. That’s very expensive for what it is.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

dark_cobra
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dark_cobra » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 pm

I like built hamber products
65 plate F20 lci 120d m sport. Edinburgh, Scotlandviewtopic.php?f=19&t=81082

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Octavius wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am

How much 😮. That’s very expensive for what it is.
It’s full price on that link now, it was about £75 at the time. :)

Ps when you add those items to your basket individually on the Meguiars website it comes to a lot, around £130 I think.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

mtechtone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mtechtone » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:11 am

Couple of products that I’ve found to be a bit of a revelation, particularly in speed and ease of use.

Firstly claying, I’ve always found it to be such a tedious job claying a whole car. Bought one of these clay mitts and it’s just brilliant - wet the panel with the microfibre side, flip it over and clay. Available in different grades on CYC. I’d highly recommend.

Something I researched for adding protection, particularly handy during those winter months when you don’t want to spend ages waxing a car. Carpro Hydro2 lite is witchcraft - spray onto a wet car and blast off with a pressure washer, job done. Have a look on YouTube for application videos. Again, highly recommended.

Mike_N55

Post by Mike_N55 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm

You can't go wrong with the Autoglym range - in particular finishing off with the HD Wax as long as you don't mind expending some serious elbow grease! Also Iron-X once a year to remove any contamination is great - especially for fellow Alpine-White owners out there. :D

Return to “Cleaning Products for your car”