Opinions! Golf R vs Leon Cupra 300 Estate

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Opinions! Golf R vs Leon Cupra 300 Estate

Post by ChrisOllie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Currently considering selling the M135 to save some money towards wedding
I am noticing some great lease deals atm from VAG and a few have caught my eye

The cheapest option is Audi A6 2.0 TDi Ultra se Exec S Tronic - either saloon or Estate...started off making financial sense but the more I think about it I'm scared I'd be bored to death. The estate is £10/m more and would tie me in for 3 years while saloon only 2 years. About £50/m cheaper than the Golf mind you...but starting to show it's age?

Option 2 - Golf R DSG 5 dr - 3 yr lease - brand new, looks great spec wise (adaptive cruise, digital dash) etc, £50 more/m than the A6 but probably just much better all round considering. I was pretty much sold on this tbh until...

Option 3 - wildcard Seat Leon Cupra 300 Tourer DSG 4WD - 2 year lease - Similar on paper to Golf R being 4WD, 300hp, DSG, but £15 /m cheaper, is an estate, less likely to be nicked, and has adaptive dampers standard. Downsides are maybe not as nice interior, and it's a seat so badge snobery / looks are subjective. Golf R probably better to drive...but this is very much a placeholder lease car until after wedding, albeit I love driving so don't want something terrible.

What would you guys go for??
Last edited by ChrisOllie on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mercedes E Class / Previously - M135 Manual / Alfa 159 Ti

RickN55
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Opinions! Golf R vs Leon Cupra 300 Estate

Post by RickN55 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Golf R for me mate.. They're great all round cars.. But also the Seat's are very nice motors too but badge snobbery aside I just think the Golf looks miles better myself!
Now - F21 2013 Alpine White M135i Auto (Sun protection package, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, High Gloss shadowline Finish, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)
Before - Focus ST Stage 1, Astra 1.8 SRi, Clio 1.2

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Kerr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 pm

The boot in the Golf R is quite small due to the 4wd. It won't be as practical as the Leon.

I've never driven the Leon, but how much different can it be?

Are you really going to save much money though? Pretty much every running cost of all the cars will be the same.

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChrisOllie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Kerr wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 pm
The boot in the Golf R is quite small due to the 4wd. It won't be as practical as the Leon.

I've never driven the Leon, but how much different can it be?

Are you really going to save much money though? Pretty much every running cost of all the cars will be the same.
I'm working on likely ridiculous man maths/logic atm :lol:
It's mainly the monthlies, these would all be cheaper than the M135, plus I was planning on changing in Feb anyway, requiring a deposit on a new PCP. My M135 is out of the 3 year warranty (currently got a year extended on it) but PCP runs until Jan 19. So that means an extra year of higher monthlies + warranty + road tax etc. Also wedding is April 19 so I'm thinking the Jan won't be ideal new car time!
If I take out a 2/3 year lease now, I effectively defer this car situation until after the wedding :D

Good point on the boot space
I think with the Golf I'm a bit woo'd by the digital dash etc lol but the Seat probably more practical lets face it. I need to go try see one ideally..

Chrissye88
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chrissye88 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 pm

I would have the Leon personally not Going to be many of them around

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TALBOTL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TALBOTL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 am

Leon for me as well, had three seats in my time and loved them all in different ways!

The leon is a lovely looking car especially in Cupra trim, looks miles better than the Golf in my eyes, much less likely to attract the local turds and as above you'll rarely see another, unlike the Golf where you see
5-6 a day!

Try it and see what you think I think you'll be surprised, I drove an early 280 model and thought it was great but was new and no real deals around which made it silly expensive.
2010 Space Grey '123d' - gone but not forgotten
2010 Audi TT TFSI - Sorry

SSN17
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SSN17 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:22 am

Having had two Golf's previously, I would say it's a higher class to the Leon in every way to be honest. The interior is by far more superior, the leon is just coloured up to look sporty but is still quite boring underneath.
F21 125i Manual | Alpine White | Black Leather | Heated Seats | Adaptive Xenon Headlights | Folding Mirrors | Driver Comfort Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | M-Sport Braking System | Front + Rear PDC | Visibility Package | Sun Protection Package

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChrisOllie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks for the input so far guys
I'm going to try go see both this weekend, I think there's a VW garage in Glasgow which has an R and a Cupra 280 tourer, which I assume will be very close looks/interior etc wise to the 300.
The Cupra is strangely drawing me actually, it definitely seems on paper to be the ideal all rounder, just in terms of being an estate, so practical, but also 4WD, DSG, 300hp, adaptive dampers etc, and as you guys say, quite rare. It's hard to find any in depth chat on the ride quality though and difference between comfort etc modes, also the stock sound systems (important to me).
The other benefit is it's only a 2 year lease deal, so if I don't really get on with it, it's only 2 years and also £15/m cheaper than the Golf. The theft risk of the Golf is also (sadly) playing on my mind, but trying to not let it get to me.

Having said above, I do appreciate the Golf will likely be a more impressive dashboard etc as it's the flagship. It's also got the digital dash and 7 speed DSG box, probably better to drive and more premium looking. Will be interesting to see them in person.

The A6 is still looming there as the cheapest option, but should I really just avoid that for fear of boredom?

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am

Golf R without question.

Seats are for people that can't afford VWs.

I have a buddy who just changed from a 335d to a Golf R estate. He reports that the Golf is miles ahead of the BMW for driving enjoyment.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

TALBOTL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TALBOTL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am
Golf R without question.

I have a buddy who just changed from a 335d to a Golf R estate. He reports that the Golf is miles ahead of the BMW for driving enjoyment.
Or maybe just for people that prefer their cars to look sportier and don't want to see the same car as theirs drive past them 6 times a day.

Such a typical narrow minded view...
2010 Space Grey '123d' - gone but not forgotten
2010 Audi TT TFSI - Sorry

Paul W
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Paul W » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:12 am

Depend so what you want out the car

I have an a6 black edition and wife has m135

If you are doing many miles the a6 is a beast - eats miles very economical - avaegong 55mph over 50k and very refined and quiet - but will not set the road on fire

The others are great but I wouldn't want to do serious miles in them every week
Follow me on twitter @pwhittingham22 and flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/93528820@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2016 M135i,White, red leather,Comfort pack,sun protection,heated seats
2014 A6 BE,White,lots of extras

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:52 am

TALBOTL wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am
Golf R without question.

Or maybe just for people that prefer their cars to look sportier and don't want to see the same car as theirs drive past them 6 times a day.

Such a typical narrow minded view...
Dear me, you do get offended easily. How weak do you need to be to be hurt by mere works?

It was intended as a humourous comment :wink:
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

kungfuman

Post by kungfuman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Guy at work recently leased an golf f. What an awesome car. It came with the virtual dash and that thing looks incredible. Lot of car for a reasonable lease.

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChrisOllie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:02 am

I managed to have a quick nip in to an Audi and then a VW dealership on Saturday there
Seen a 15 plate A6 SE, was actually very impressed in person, obviously alloys are rubbish but theyre for comfort etc. Interior is lovely, upgraded sound system as standard and pretty much every toy you need really, really nice car. Never got to drive it, but tbh don't need to, I know it'll be a big old bus feeling slow compared to M135, but ultimately it's meant to be a big motorway car.

I then went to see a Seat 290 cupra estate (no 300's about) and Golf R.
It was an Arnold Clark dealer...oh dear. Not only was the place physically in bad nick, but the staff :shock:
Wee guy was ok in fairness, just quite neddy. No one could find the mk7.5 Golf R :lol: ended up not actually seeing one. After walking around the dealer and not finding the Golf, the salesman spotted my M135 and asked if it was the M Sport, I said yeah M135. He checked out the badge and then said "My Golf R eats these for lunch"

Instantly I no longer wanted a Golf R :lol: :shock:
Might be a cracking car, but I just don't want involved in all that chat :lol:

The Seat on the other hand was surprisingly nice, plenty of room, decent feeling cabin. Again, all the kit you'd ever need and even better lease deals out there (Yes-Lease have 2 and three year 10k mile leases e.g. 2 years 10k miles pa £346/m and £346 deposit for example) thats for the 300 cupra 4WD estate.

Ultimately, having seen the three... I think I'm leaning towards getting a bore-box for 2 years and save as much money as possible

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:47 pm

I previously leased a 5dr golf R for 2 years and now have a cupra 290 black edition lease (7 month in to it). I also did my fair share of miles in a 125d and an m135i so am pretty familiar with them all.

I felt the golf interior wasn't far off the BMW and suspect the mk7.5 will feel a fair bit newer. Even the older dash on the Golf and the cupra look more modern and offer more than full black panel (which I always thought was pretty poor). Idrive pee's all over the VAG touch screen crap. Can't comment on the virtual dash thingy.

The Seat isn't as poverty inside as many think. Yes, it's a bit more basic than the other 2 and has a few more scratchy plastics than even the golf but it has all the comforts you need and then some and it's got some nice touches like the changeable mood lighting.

Out of the 3 the Seat is the least grown up. It's the closest to a true hot hatch. The BMW may have the best engine but the ea888 is a decent 4pot and it never sounds strained. If you prefer cruising along effortlessly on motorways then the Golf is better suited than the Cupra. The cupra isn't hard work in this area but mine is definitely slightly less refined (FL model could be different). This is actually why I've grown to prefer it over the golf. The effortless point and squirt of the 4wd got boring, you never had to be that involved in the drive. The cupra just seems to have layers to discover. It's massively frustrating for wheel spin/hop in anything but bone dry conditions but at the same time getting it right connects you to the car even with DSG. Once it's rolling along it can get fairly frantic and doesn't have the sluggish mid range feel that the golf had. The fwd version also sticks like sh1t to a blanket in corners thanks to the fancy diff. It goes round unfussed where the golf would understated and I'd have backed off earlier in the m135.

A lot of what I said will be irrelevant to your 300 4wd option though. I think in that comparison I'd take the golf unless I really needed that £50pm.

Oh, and that salesman is clearly the sort of tit that thinks the traffic light GP is all that counts. Any given day with variables any of these cars can be as fast and as fun as the other.
Awaiting Golf R | 205 GTi | MX5 10thAE

Return to “Other Cars”