M240i daily - M4 extended test drive

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

stevoox
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

M240i daily - M4 extended test drive

Post by stevoox » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:10 am

I did originally post this on the Facebook page (so some may have seen) about having the M4 and a fair few asked for some feedback. I thought a post on here with some pics would be a little better. The M4 went yesterday and my god I did not want to hand over those keys...

A reply on the forum was "if you don't know after the first mile, something is wrong with you". Initially I didn't reply as I thought it was a bit of a bell end comment. I hadn't driven the M240i in a while or if I had it was 1mile to the gym, so yesterday i did the same route and used them both. His comment was wrong. It should be 1 metre.

I only drove the M4 with everything in sports+ and that's all I've ever driven the 240 in. The M-lite cars are fantastic, cracking all rounder cars and even more so for the prices you can get into them for.

The M4 I found to be toned up a little bit but in every area, which when added up makes a clear difference. The steering sharper, heavier. Suspension firmer and more planted in corners, more confidence inspiring. The throttle and brakes that bit more sensitive. There is more of a kick up the back when accelerating or changing gear. The car is screaming to be driven, hold the gears and have a play all the time. There is just overall much more "occasion" and an attack on all the senses. The rear always wants to twitch or have a little squirm and it battles for traction and I love that drama. I find the 240 barely breaks traction in a straight line. The interior is also that step up with carbon fibre, HUD, bucket seats etc and again just adds to that overall feel.

I feel like I'm in some sort of love affair...I love my M240i, but damn that M4 was good. I've fallen in love with that too!

I've had quite alot of people say they prefer the look of my M240i and that it sounds better too (mpe with BCS mid pipe). Others also comment on how the M4 is a too basic spec (agreed as I'd want CP with all carbon exterior parts). Regardless of spec, after 4 days I'd take the M4.

Disapointed to hand it back - yes.
Disappointed to get back in the 240 - no.

But still, now to browse auto trader...

MW M240i with full M performance pack

Mjh7290
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: M240i daily - M4 extended test drive

Post by Mjh7290 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am

Nice write up mate in fairness I'd be happy with either car
2011 Bmw 116d E87

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tricky401 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Good review,

Would love an extended test drive in either m3/4

Do many dealers loan them out? How long did you actually have it for
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

Gary_LB
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Gary_LB » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Intersting review thanks for sharing. There have been some less than glowing reports for the M3/4 so good to see some positive comments
Now - 2017 Audi S4 Black Edition

Then - M235i, M135i, 120d M Sport Coupe, Subaru Impreza, Toyota Celica T Sport 190, VW Golf GTi Mk4, Saxo VTR

stevoox
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by stevoox » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:40 am

Tricky401 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:34 pm
Good review,

Would love an extended test drive in either m3/4

Do many dealers loan them out? How long did you actually have it for
I had it for 4 days, delivered on Friday and collected on the Monday. Although I guess sat and sun were the only two full days. Not bad as I did 700 miles nod over £300 in fuel. I arranged it through work as McLaren have ties with BMW so it was all arranged with BMW Park Lane and customer experience
MW M240i with full M performance pack

Return to “Other Cars”