Have many people had an e9x m3?

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Have many people had an e9x m3?

Post by Compactpete » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pm

setmp wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 pm
Recently owned a 13" e92, everyone is spot on, you need to rev it hard for it to feel alive, problem (or not) is, revving it hard in any gear puts you at jail time speeds at an alarming rate. Triple figure in 2nd is not an exaggeration! It just didn't have the sense of occasion you can get for similar priced cars lower down speeds in my opinion (c63/granturismo). Only mechanical issue I had was the windscreen washer just dribbling instead of spraying, warranty wouldn't touch it, BMW wanted 1500 or something stupid, GF kicking off about it, so I just sold it :)
You sold the car because the windscreen washers didn't work properly?
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:57 pm

OP, what mods have you done to your 135?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Stevec33
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Stevec33 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Its got an m performance lsd, underbody brace, eibach springs, spacers, bcs sports cat, wagner intercooler, mpe, evolve remap to just over 400hp. The car is quick and very very tourquey especially low down, you barely touch the pedal and it moves. Its almost too sharp! All the extra go certainly doesn't help the chassis situation, as we all know they suffer from the wobbly/nervous/un settled feeling, and with the extra power it's just made it worse, even after the mods ive done.
I've been in two minds if to put some kind of upgraded shocks/coilovers on it but as the car has adaptive suspension it makes it more complicated and expensive to do, im at the point where i don't really feel like throwing another grand at it to try and sort the problem as I've spent a lot all ready. Hence the thinking of trying an e9x m3. I've tried an f80 but im not keen on automatics and didn't think much to the manual one.
2013 5 door m135i, white, red leather, adaptive suspension, harmon kardon, professional nav.

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Stevec33 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 pm
Its got an m performance lsd, underbody brace, eibach springs, spacers, bcs sports cat, wagner intercooler, mpe, evolve remap to just over 400hp. The car is quick and very very tourquey especially low down, you barely touch the pedal and it moves. Its almost too sharp! All the extra go certainly doesn't help the chassis situation, as we all know they suffer from the wobbly/nervous/un settled feeling, and with the extra power it's just made it worse, even after the mods ive done.
I've been in two minds if to put some kind of upgraded shocks/coilovers on it but as the car has adaptive suspension it makes it more complicated and expensive to do, im at the point where i don't really feel like throwing another grand at it to try and sort the problem as I've spent a lot all ready. Hence the thinking of trying an e9x m3. I've tried an f80 but im not keen on automatics and didn't think much to the manual one.
You don't realise how sloppy the handling is until you drive something else, my wife has a Leon FR with adaptive suspension and it is so composed on fast bumpy roads compared to my old M135i.

I drove a Leon Cupra 300 last week and that was truly impressive, the wheels do spin up at low speeds if you hammer it but once moving it was great, has an LSD and no hint of understeer / torque steer despite 300 bhp going through those wheels.
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

Shadak
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shadak » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 pm

I currently own Cupra 290 and after having DCC I cant imagine not having adaptive suspension now ever!
/// ...... M140i xDrive 2017 ...... \\\

Tubes
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tubes » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Owned a fully specced Comp Pack e92 and a fully specced 240.

The 240 is a better all rounder day to day car in terms of modern spec, gearbox, and torquey engine. The 240!9: a 7/10ths car and that's where the M3 has the edge. The last 3/10ths. The noise, the delivery, the feeling. Just felt a far superior car that made me smile each and every time it started. I just don't have the same love for the 240.

Stevec33
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Stevec33 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:55 pm

This is the dilemma, the m135 is a great all round car until you go past 7/10ths, then it falls to pieces in spectacular fashion, you rarely use the last 3/10ths but thats the bit that gives you confidence to go fast as you kind of learn where the limit is and learn the car there. The m3's does it all well and just looses a bit of the lower end every day useability. In a way im not too concerned about fuel useage because I don't do many miles and often bike to work. I need to drive one again really and see how i feel about the power delivery and the drive
2013 5 door m135i, white, red leather, adaptive suspension, harmon kardon, professional nav.

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kylemacca01 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Stevec33 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:55 pm
This is the dilemma, the m135 is a great all round car until you go past 7/10ths, then it falls to pieces in spectacular fashion, you rarely use the last 3/10ths but thats the bit that gives you confidence to go fast as you kind of learn where the limit is and learn the car there. The m3's does it all well and just looses a bit of the lower end every day useability. In a way im not too concerned about fuel useage because I don't do many miles and often bike to work. I need to drive one again really and see how i feel about the power delivery and the drive
Are you set on a bmw? What about the previous gen c63amg? That 6.2L v8 is as special as they come.

Stevec33
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Stevec33 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Ive tried one but i don't like automatics really, the engine was awesome but found the gearbox very slow and dim witted, didn't seem to want to change down when you wanted it too. Ive heard the facelift is better but not tried one, the also a lot more money obviously. I like rwd manual cars basically and i feel that bmw make the best available for the budget

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Stevec33 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 pm
Its got an m performance lsd, underbody brace, eibach springs, spacers, bcs sports cat, wagner intercooler, mpe, evolve remap to just over 400hp. The car is quick and very very tourquey especially low down, you barely touch the pedal and it moves. Its almost too sharp!
TBH thats not really a huge chassis spec - M3 LCA's front and rear, stiffer ARB's and decent dampers (I have Meister GT1) will make worlds of difference, you can remap throttle response and pedal travel vs plate movement pretty easily too. Have you had alignment done?

Sure, its some money but it will transform the car, I stuck in a relatively drama free 8.24 BTG on first visit to Nur and would take my E82 over an M3 in pretty much any situation, it comes down to whether you can be arsed to spend the time and money on it I guess but you can make a good car with perseverance :)

Stevec33
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Stevec33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I think the dampers would be defo the next thing to upgrade, but then if i spend there and im still not happy with it im going to be very annoyed, if im going to then have to do xyz else and spend ££££ on it to make it feel right I'd rather jump ship i think

Stevec33
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Stevec33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Also the car has been back to have the throttle response tweaked and its still very sharp, its just because there's basically no lag at all and the tourque is just right there when you breathe near the loud pedal

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 am

Interesting thread going on here. I havebeen besotted woth the idea of owning a v8. Been on the hunt for an e90 saloon with edc to replace my rs3 that i have been cherishing for 3 years now. Was suprised to find how hard to come buy they are. I have to arrange a test drive which no doubt will reveal alot. My biggest challange is to xonvice the wofe to part with the rs3. She does like the 140i or 135i more than the m3. But cant helo but feel that the v8 engine is something special. Also in terms of residules i belive the m3 will do far better and although i wasnt an instat fan of the e9x, its certainly aging well imo. Currently we have an m2 too, so not too keen on getting a 140i as although a very different drive I just fancy something a bit different. Love hearing about your experiences with these great machines and definately adds some perspective.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mike_N55

Post by Mike_N55 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Really interesting post as I'm looking for a change from the 135i Coupe and a few of the potential suitors are mentioned on here. Torque figures and MPG aside (albeit in the real world of course they're relevant) how a car makes you feel is a crucial factor. I've had some cars which definitely wouldn't be described as dynamic drivers cars....but on a cold, cloudy winter morning the prospect of the drive to work and the sense of occasion had me jumping out of bed :P
Cant help but feel I need to scratch the e92 v8 itch at some point even though I'm well aware of its capability per £ deficit on the 140i's etc...

and79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by and79 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

I have a manual 08 M3, bought back in 2009. It’s on 75,000 miles now but off the road for the rod bearings and throttle actuators. I’ve needed a new fuel pump and clutch also. It’s obviously a pricey car to run, I see an indicated 20.9 mpg on average. The range is 250 miles roughly, I do wish the fuel tank was bigger! Great to drive with a stirring soundtrack but be prepared for some big running costs. Go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Other Cars”