Cheap fun car for the weekend - suggestions please!

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Cheap fun car for the weekend - suggestions please!

Post by pem10 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 am

Have you thought about any of the hot clios? Sound perfect for your needs. May be able to squeeze into a 182 trophy for 5k as well.
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines -pro hu - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake - roof spoiler. Now with added 313 goodness and other bits and bobs.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:19 pm

If you can tolerate FWD, the RS Clio is a good shout. Civic Type R too.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

jordan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jordan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:26 pm

a nice ep3 civic type-r (and some change for mods 8)?),

you could probably get the fn2 at that price now, but as a driving machine, the ep3 makes the fn2 feel like a barge IMO.

Davo-e82

Post by Davo-e82 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:02 pm

kettle2006 wrote:EVO would fit the bill, but I think at my price point I'm playing with fire there, plus the insurance and upkeep costs might push it out of the cheap category...
Top level earlies (Evo 1-3) are now 7-10k but 4's are still to start appreciating so a decent one with a better later engine is possible within your budget. Insurance isn't bad if you pick the right company (Keith Michaels are good) but obviously it depends on postcode and age etc too.

Not gonna lie, they are high maintenance but apart from AYC they are relatively rudimentary, even more so the 1-3 as they are all 100% mechanical. If you're gonna get your hands dirty doing spanner work and only cover a couple thousand miles a year you could get away with it.....could haha.

If you can live with the questionable image and sneers from the uneducated sheeple then you've got yourself a unique driving experience with group A motorsport pedigree.

http://www.evo.co.uk/mitsubishi/evo/132 ... vos-tested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan116i

Post by Dan116i » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:27 am

What about a Westfield if considering Zeds?
Now: 2006 130i with even more goodies ;)
Gone: 2008 116i with goodies :)

kettle2006
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kettle2006 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:24 pm

So many choices! Going to have to get out there and start test driving some, as the one thing that they have in common is that I have never driven any of them.

The more I look at it s2000 appeals to me the most, but I might have to put up with a year of poodling about in the 3series to stretch my budget that far!
Current - E82 135i '08 Le Mans Blue - Clubsport gearknob, CDV delete, Whiteline inserts

Previous - E46 325ti Sport, Leon Cupra 1.8T

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm

The lack of torque in an S2K would drive you somewhat mental coming from a 135i IMO. Great cars if you drive a racetrack to work every day, can be a pain for anything else and are holding value very well, which is a double edged sword at the end of the day.
Anyway, I'm sure the OP is a grown adult perfectly capable of choosing any number of cars he deems best, if you don't like my suggestions that's tough, it's not your choice to make at the end of the day
No doubt, but hes asking for suggestions, and having driven most of the cars listed I was just giving personal experience.

Early Evos are terrible for lunching engines in my experience, 200SX's and Imprezas arent great either but most of the rest are relativey safe bets - Id give that serious consideration if youre only looking to spend £5K as it could end up a much more expensive prospect.

kettle2006
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kettle2006 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:28 pm

docwra wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm
The lack of torque in an S2K would drive you somewhat mental coming from a 135i IMO. Great cars if you drive a racetrack to work every day, can be a pain for anything else and are holding value very well, which is a double edged sword at the end of the day.
I think this is going to be half the battle, the N54 despite its reliability issues is a cracking engine something I am painfully reminded of every-time I put my foot down (knowing that I won't be keeping the 135i forever), plus if I end up spending the 8/9K that a half decent S2000 costs, I might as well keep the 135i...

A pre-facelift Z4 with the 3.0l M54 lump in might just be the ticket, reasonable price, and I know the engine really well having done most of the usual jobs on the 2.5 version in my compact.
Current - E82 135i '08 Le Mans Blue - Clubsport gearknob, CDV delete, Whiteline inserts

Davo-e82

Post by Davo-e82 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am

docwra wrote:The lack of torque in an S2K would drive you somewhat mental coming from a 135i IMO. Great cars if you drive a racetrack to work every day, can be a pain for anything else and are holding value very well, which is a double edged sword at the end of the day.
Anyway, I'm sure the OP is a grown adult perfectly capable of choosing any number of cars he deems best, if you don't like my suggestions that's tough, it's not your choice to make at the end of the day
No doubt, but hes asking for suggestions, and having driven most of the cars listed I was just giving personal experience.

Early Evos are terrible for lunching engines in my experience, 200SX's and Imprezas arent great either but most of the rest are relativey safe bets - Id give that serious consideration if youre only looking to spend £5K as it could end up a much more expensive prospect.
.....and that's the funny thing about opinions based on experience, they're all different based on each individual. Having owned half and driven/been around most of the rest on the list I can confidently say I don't agree with you, so you can take it or leave it Image.

AmandaLewis

Post by AmandaLewis » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Hey there! My personal favorite is the GT4 st205. I live far away from my job where I work as a writer so it's very important to have comfortable and fast car. This one satisfies me completely, beautiful design and multifunctionality, I really like it.

Davo-e82

Cheap fun car for the weekend - suggestions please!

Post by Davo-e82 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:15 am

AmandaLewis wrote:Hey there! My personal favorite is the GT4 st205. I live far away from my job where I work as a writer so it's very important to have comfortable and fast car. This one satisfies me completely, beautiful design and multifunctionality, I really like it.
Good choice, I had one a few years ago and really liked it. Great blend of performance, comfort and proper Rally credentials/pedigree. The WRC versions are especially cool with all the little extras they had to sell the cars with for homologation purposes Image

Got any pictures?

KPB1973
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by KPB1973 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I've just bought a 2000 Boxster S for less thanb £3.5k. It'll probably be something up towards £5k before i've got it in a condition i'm happy with though.

Lovely engine, quite old-school handling and steering, plus RWD, drop top etc.

I've also had an S2000 in the past and in many ways it was more of an event than the Porsche. Better built too.
Valencia Orange 125d GONE >330D GONE > Megane 250 Cup (tuned) GONE > 2012 M135i Auto with JB4 GONE > JAG XF 'S' 3.0d GONE > RS Megane 275 Cup-S > F10 530d with TDITuning box

rob123d
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rob123d » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:02 pm

kettle2006 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:28 pm
docwra wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm
I think this is going to be half the battle, the N54 despite its reliability issues is a cracking engine something I am painfully reminded of every-time I put my foot down (knowing that I won't be keeping the 135i forever), plus if I end up spending the 8/9K that a half decent S2000 costs, I might as well keep the 135i...

A pre-facelift Z4 with the 3.0l M54 lump in might just be the ticket, reasonable price, and I know the engine really well having done most of the usual jobs on the 2.5 version in my compact.
Having owned a couple of Z4s that would be my choice. I sold my 2005 3.0l 75,000 for £4300 not that long ago. plenty within budget.
Now: Gen 1 Cayman S
Gone: 135I DCT M Sport Coupe. AW, Red leather, 19" CSL reps, lots of options and a few mods.
Gone: LMB 123D Coupe

RBS Bob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RBS Bob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:20 pm

How about a classic Hot Hatch?

2015 135i F20 Auto Alpine White Red Leather. 1992 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI. KTM Duke 2 640.

kettle2006
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kettle2006 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:43 am

That was my dream car as a young teenager! That and the Renault 5 GT Turbo

Return to “Other Cars”