Baby BMW Forum banner

Done with the M240i - what's next?

22K views 178 replies 43 participants last post by  KPB1973 
#1 ·
Nearly 18 months that I've owned the M240i, and enjoyed it overall. Kept it simple (so called purist) and cheap: Manual shift and passive.

Drove it mostly on weekends (not a daily driver) since I bike to work.

There are quite a few negative posts on the M240i here and I read most of them. I agree with the issue of body roll that I found very annoying at times. The rest is irrelevant to me as I try to drive within the legal limits most of the time. I must admit being an average driver at best (have not figured out heel and toe shifting yet).

I am now looking for a weekender that is more fun than the 240i and around the £30k range. An ideal car would be the 718 cayman but £42k is above my budget, let alone running costs.

Something slightly more powerful than a GT86 and more fun that a golf R or S3/RS3/TTS. Not particularly attached to RWD consider that I live in Southeast Wales where it rains 400 days a year.

Any advice?

#179 ·
tonyfonda said:
Tuning will probably void the warranty, no?

I see from your profile that your 250 was tuned, but what about the 275?
Yes it will if detected, although perhaps only in relation to any faults that could be attributed to it.

No, I didn't map the 275. For family reasons I had to sell it on after 6 months although by that point I was considering some sort of removable tuning solution (maybe Fastchip) but actually I didn't think the 275 needed it as much as the 250 did.

That said, had I eventually gone down the remap route, I wouldn't have had the full fat RS Tuning one as I thought the one on the 250 was too fierce for the FWD / LSD and it chased cambers like mad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.