Done with the M240i - what's next?

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Menace
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Done with the M240i - what's next?

Post by Menace » Tue May 09, 2017 5:30 pm

JamieM140 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 pm
Save a lot of cash,get a really nice spec R275 and the it on some track days.More practical aswell when you need I to be with rear seats and large boot.It will be as much fun to drive as a lotus.A friend of mine had an Exige been out in it a few times and to be honest it was awful. Yes on a track it's awesome but to live with everyday no.Unbelievably loud inside could hardly have a conversation with him.Almost impossible to get in and out of.Terrible rattly interior very basic no creature comforts. Once the novelty wore off he sold it for a A45 AMG.I certainly wouldn't entertain buying a lotus unless I had lots of money and only used it once in a while for track days.And if I had the money I would have a Cayman S over a Lotus any day.
The Rs275 by the way has actually been compared to a Porsche GT3 in the way it handles and the amount of fun it is to drive.Very high praise indeed.
Personally I'd opt for an Evora over an Exige – for some of the reason you mentioned, the Evora is a little more refined and slightly less hardcore.
65 plate F20 M135i / MG / auto / pro nav / full comfort pack / black panel / speaker upgrade / heated seats / folding mirrors / sun protection / Eibach Pro's / F21 tension strut / black grilles, splitter, side blades + blacked out diffuser / full de-badge

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 pm

tonyfonda wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:14 am
Now a couple more rebukes of this sort and I will excuse myself cordially. Swimming against the tide is not my thing.
Well said, youre not the first and I doubt will be the last to generate a pointless witchhunt, frankly I couldnt care if you were coming from a Smart FourTwo :lol:

Easiest thing to do is drive a sorted Megane and see if you like it - personally I think they are incredibly capable and amazing value for money ....... but I get tired of FWD very quickly and I dont see the point of something thats noisy and intense but can be mastered pretty quickly.

Is a Cayman worth twice what a Megane is? IMO yes, its a totally different challenge, much better made and wont depreciate anywhere near as much. Or do what I did and make a 1 Series handle, Id not swap mine for both put together now :)

un1eash
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by un1eash » Tue May 09, 2017 6:33 pm

I had a S2 111S Elise for 4 years and only sold it recently as it wasn't being used and just sitting in the garage, I know people that do but I would never recommend one as a daily, an S3 is more practical but I think there best kept for track day weekend toys.
One thing I would say though is if you ever get chance to own an Elise or Exige then do it, nothing compares.
The other great thing about Lotus is they don't lose much if any money, I sold mine for what I paid 4 years before.

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 pm

50pence wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:46 am
Tricky401 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am
when the 240 actually come out? was it before the 140?

i haven't owned my m135 a year yet and the m140 wasn't released until just after i got it

S3Bangs wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:32 am
An 18 month old M240i?? I never knew they were launched that long ago. Am I missing something here? My M140 is just about 7 months old and I thought I was one of the early adopters. :shock:
The first right hand drive M240is were made in November '15 ...

And to answer the OP's question, how about a Focus RS?
don't be silly, the m240i was announced in may 16 and the first ones started to appear in Q3 16. Hasn't even been available for 12 months yet. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/bmw_m240i_auto

mmm, OPs never posted on another topic, what do we think chaps?
F22 M240i 8AT

BMW9971
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Done with the M240i - what's next?

Post by BMW9971 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 pm

JamieM140 wrote:Save a lot of cash,get a really nice spec R275 and the it on some track days.More practical aswell when you need I to be with rear seats and large boot.It will be as much fun to drive as a lotus.A friend of mine had an Exige been out in it a few times and to be honest it was awful. Yes on a track it's awesome but to live with everyday no.Unbelievably loud inside could hardly have a conversation with him.Almost impossible to get in and out of.Terrible rattly interior very basic no creature comforts. Once the novelty wore off he sold it for a A45 AMG.I certainly wouldn't entertain buying a lotus unless I had lots of money and only used it once in a while for track days.
Interesting. Sounds like your friend bought completely the wrong car for his needs. And to be fair, comparing an Exige, which is deliberately raw and spartan inside, but incredibly well sorted for fast road or track use, to cars like an A45 AMG is pointless.

I have recently bought an M135i. It's fast, for sure, and a great all round package, but the ride and handling isn't in the same league as my S1 Elise Sport 160 - a car designed 22 years ago!

See - comparing apples with oranges. But saying the Exige is "awful" is plain daft.

packerman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by packerman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 pm

my 2p worth, moved from a tmc 135i to a fiesta st200, fantastic car, not chavy in the least, very understated in storm grey and an absolute hoot to drive, rated by most hacks as the best hot hatch out there, only makes 215bhp but has a nice trick seeming to be going faster than it is, recommended without reservation
valencia orange m135i MPE, TMC and Eibach springs

Shotdog
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shotdog » Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm

packerman wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 pm
my 2p worth, moved from a tmc 135i to a fiesta st200, fantastic car, not chavy in the least, very understated in storm grey and an absolute hoot to drive, rated by most hacks as the best hot hatch out there, only makes 215bhp but has a nice trick seeming to be going faster than it is, recommended without reservation
Interesting choice, what made you make the move?

I wish I bought a hat hatch before a my old 135i feel like I've missed out on owning one and now I wish I bought one!
Current - M140i 3dr auto sapphire black / coral red + lots of extras! H&R springs, 15mm spacers, BCS centre pipe and carbon spoiler

BMW 1998 328i sport individual -2010 N54 135i FBO 450bhp - 500ft lbs - 2009 120d 3dr 222bhp - 343 ft lbs

JamieM140
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JamieM140 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Daveb99 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 pm
JamieM140 wrote:Save a lot of cash,get a really nice spec R275 and the it on some track days.More practical aswell when you need I to be with rear seats and large boot.It will be as much fun to drive as a lotus.A friend of mine had an Exige been out in it a few times and to be honest it was awful. Yes on a track it's awesome but to live with everyday no.Unbelievably loud inside could hardly have a conversation with him.Almost impossible to get in and out of.Terrible rattly interior very basic no creature comforts. Once the novelty wore off he sold it for a A45 AMG.I certainly wouldn't entertain buying a lotus unless I had lots of money and only used it once in a while for track days.
Interesting. Sounds like your friend bought completely the wrong car for his needs. And to be fair, comparing an Exige, which is deliberately raw and spartan inside, but incredibly well sorted for fast road or track use, to cars like an A45 AMG is pointless.

I have recently bought an M135i. It's fast, for sure, and a great all round package, but the ride and handling isn't in the same league as my S1 Elise Sport 160 - a car designed 22 years ago!

See - comparing apples with oranges. But saying the Exige is "awful" is plain daft.
when I say awful I did not mean the car was awful I meant the experience was awful with the cabin, noise etc.
I should have been more specific clearly they are a very good car if that type of motor is what you are looking for.
Personally its not for me just my opinion

BlueRSedFly
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BlueRSedFly » Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm

OP, have you thought about MX5 the latest Mk4s are really good to drive and nice and small for Welsh lanes. Get it tuned by BBR if it doesn't feel quick enough
Munchie, Alpine white M135 5dr Auto

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Tue May 09, 2017 10:38 pm

BlueRSedFly wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm
OP, have you thought about MX5 the latest Mk4s are really good to drive and nice and small for Welsh lanes. Get it tuned by BBR if it doesn't feel quick enough
Or the new RF ?
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 pm

BlueRSedFly wrote:OP, have you thought about MX5 the latest Mk4s are really good to drive and nice and small for Welsh lanes. Get it tuned by BBR if it doesn't feel quick enough
I think the OP would be getting a MK5, he has a knack of getting cars before they exist ImageImageImage

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 am

NISFAN wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 pm
BlueRSedFly wrote:OP, have you thought about MX5 the latest Mk4s are really good to drive and nice and small for Welsh lanes. Get it tuned by BBR if it doesn't feel quick enough
I think the OP would be getting a MK5, he has a knack of getting cars before they exist ImageImageImage
It's a good approach though, you have to give him that. I mean you can effectively test drive the car in your mind before actually buying it, saving a good whack on px.

The power of dreams eh.

I stand corrected though, the op did make a post on the m240i 6 mths or so ago....when it appears he was musing about buying one: http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90262
F22 M240i 8AT

tonyfonda
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonyfonda » Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 am

Alright guys. Thanks for all of your input. I shall take this conversation offline now.

I will PM people who expressed interest in my 240i and will reach out directly to others with specific questions.

I can't thank enough the people who provided advice. Much appreciated.

packerman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by packerman » Wed May 10, 2017 8:43 am

Shotdog wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm
packerman wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 pm
Interesting choice, what made you make the move?

I wish I bought a hat hatch before a my old 135i feel like I've missed out on owning one and now I wish I bought one!
was going to get a jcw, but test drove a standard st and was very impressed,
st is a marmite colour but spot on for me, the lower gearing and extra bhp are a bonus and takes it near jcw levels, lovely noise through 4000 rpm
interior is a bit low rent compared to the bmw but the stereo is miles better than the bmw business and the voice recognition works first time every time.
All in all very happy
valencia orange m135i MPE, TMC and Eibach springs

ImperialMango

Post by ImperialMango » Wed May 10, 2017 12:20 pm

tonyfonda wrote:Alright guys. Thanks for all of your input. I shall take this conversation offline now.

I will PM people who expressed interest in my 240i and will reach out directly to others with specific questions.

I can't thank enough the people who provided advice. Much appreciated.

If I might be so blunt, the question, an easy one at that, remains... the age of your 240. Or did you buy a rebadged 235?
All in all I find it not that hard to answer.

To all the people who have helped OP, great stuff, but it still smells a bit fish to not answer such a simple question.

"Younger than 18 months" 8-9 months doesn't even come close. Cmon..

Return to “Other Cars”