Done with the M240i - what's next?

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Done with the M240i - what's next?

Post by jgalea324 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 am

tonyfonda wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 am
Thank you all.

No auto-blip for the Megane then.
I've modded my 123d using genuine BMW parts for the most part, with the only aftermarket items being the wheels (OZ), headlights (Depos), suspension (ST XTA coilovers, they sit in between the KW V2 and KW Clubsports) and gearknob (Storm Motorwerks). Spent a total of 9k Euro - valuing the mods as a 3k mark-up on top of the car's nominal value... and that's still considered as too high by mainstream customers. Only a car enthusiast would appreciate those mods as fantastic value, but unfortunately there aren't many out there nowadays. I don't want to sell anytime soon anyway, but if the right offer comes I'll take it
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528

tonyfonda
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonyfonda » Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 am

jgalea324 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 am
tonyfonda wrote:
Thank you all.

I've modded my 123d using genuine BMW parts for the most part, with the only aftermarket items being the wheels (OZ), headlights (Depos), suspension (ST XTA coilovers, they sit in between the KW V2 and KW Clubsports) and gearknob (Storm Motorwerks). Spent a total of 9k Euro - valuing the mods as a 3k mark-up on top of the car's nominal value... and that's still considered as too high by mainstream customers. Only a car enthusiast would appreciate those mods as fantastic value, but unfortunately there aren't many out there nowadays. I don't want to sell anytime soon anyway, but if the right offer comes I'll take it
€9k is the the price of a Megane 250 RS (2010)!

No mods for me. Only thing I will do is a badge delete which will cost me 0 if I do it correctly.

Renault is not paying me to advertise their cars, so why keep it!

tonyfonda
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonyfonda » Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 am

tonyfonda wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 am
jgalea324 wrote:
tonyfonda wrote:
Thank you all.

No mods for me. Only thing I will do is a badge delete which will cost me 0 if I do it correctly.

Neither Renault nor BMW are paying me to advertise their cars, so why keep it!

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 am

tonyfonda wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 am
jgalea324 wrote:
tonyfonda wrote:
Thank you all.

Yep it is - which is why modding is never worth it if you are concerned about the residual value of the car. Only enthusiasts do it :)
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528

topuphere666
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by topuphere666 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 am

tonyfonda wrote:
jgalea324 wrote:
tonyfonda wrote:
Thank you all.

So every Renault badge is coming off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

tonyfonda
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonyfonda » Fri May 12, 2017 12:35 pm

topuphere666 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 am
tonyfonda wrote:
jgalea324 wrote:

So every Renault badge is coming off?

The massive Megane writing on the back will go first.

The 2 diamond shaped chrome Renauld Logos will be replaced with black ones (less flashy)

Not sure about the RS badges yet as there are few of them...

davidgriffiths
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by davidgriffiths » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:32 pm

so....

Did we ever find out how old the unicorn 240 was/is/might have been?
M140i / Estoril Blue / Sport Auto / Pro Nav / Comfort pack / Heated Seats / Sun Glass / Rear Camera / Folding Mirrors / HIFI sound

Red5
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Red5 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:17 pm

davidgriffiths wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:32 pm
so....

Did we ever find out how old the unicorn 240 was/is/might have been?
:lol:

I see what you did there!

Saying 'Unicorn' infers that the OPs car was fictitious!

How very dare you :P
Gone
Very fast 135i
Volcano Grey Macan SD

Red5 & Semerka's Stable
Carmine Red Cayman GTS + LSD, Man Box, Sports Chassis + more
Midnight Blue Macan Turbo + PTV and other tasty bits

(Team Rob)

topuphere666
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by topuphere666 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:13 am

We were due an update a few weeks back. This thread was a strange one!

F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

tonyfonda
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonyfonda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:43 pm

I have now owned a 2015 RS275 for quite a few month and can report the following:

+Terrific cornering. Like nothing, I have experienced before. Arguably the best feature of the car
+Lots of feel from the steering wheel
+Chassis is spot on. Using the car as a daily driver (school run, shops, etc...) and the monthly energetic drive on b roads.
+Friendly renault servicing (on the phone and at the dealer)
+Dealer network owned by Renault. Things are priced within reason and one can sense the fact that they care about their brand.

Now the less enjoyable stuff
-hate the RLink (multimedia system) with passion. Tomtom updates are costly. But it seems that some people managed to hack it and install Android Car and Waze... following this matter closely.
-thirsty engine, even in the most efficient driving mode
-can't fit a bike in the boot. Will have to spend £300 on some roof magnets
-1st gear acceleration is not amazing. You get bored of it after a little while and start dreaming of owning a more powerfull hatch. Sweet spot is 2nd to 3rd gear @c.5k RPM in my view.
-Auto stop-start is very moody. Never sure when it is willing to work and when not

Compared to the M240i:
+Feels more of a sports car, more eventful, dramatic and involving
+the RS NAV version has a few more options than the basic M240 that I used to own
+Cheaper when acquired after the initial massive renault depreciation (10k miles or a couple of years)

-nowhere as smooth as the 240. Back starts aching on long rides
-still feels a bit like a boy racer and lack the class of the bmw
-rear view is minimal compared to the bmw

In summary: the RS is serving the same purpose as the bmw (in my case) but it is a completely different car. I miss the comfort and acceleration of the 240 but the RS catches up quickly once in 3rd gear. The RS is definitely more enjoyable to drive without being too demanding despite the fact that the 240 was more powerful and driven by the rear wheels. But then, the RS has some antiquated Nav system.

I am obviously not a motoring journalist, so please excuse the quality of this post. It is a mere reflection of my experience owning both cars.
I am happy with the RS purchase and can see myself keeping it for a while as I find it much more involving than the 240. That is until the Z4/GT86 upcoming joint platform is released...

Tony

KPB1973
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by KPB1973 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Good update. I'd echo most of your thoughts about the RS275 in comparison to an MLite.

A RSTuning remap would reduce the performance differential to not a lot - forget the headline bhp figures, its the torque that jumps massively. Mine went up to about 340ft lbs.

It does make it more of a handful given the aggressive diff though.
Valencia Orange 125d GONE >330D GONE > Megane 250 Cup (tuned) GONE > 2012 M135i Auto with JB4 GONE > JAG XF 'S' 3.0d GONE > RS Megane 275 Cup-S > F10 530d with TDITuning box

tonyfonda
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonyfonda » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 am

Tuning will probably void the warranty, no?

I see from your profile that your 250 was tuned, but what about the 275?

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mikeyscott » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:03 am

Got to say i’ve Been looking at the RS / VXR options as finding the 135i meh.

Drove my wife’s Cooper S the other night, what a hoot
135i E82 2011 Alpine White, Birds B1, Michelin PSS
VW Golf MK5 R32 09 - Gone and miss the traction.
123d E87 59 - Gone
Volvo S40 T5 Polestar 08 - Gone - Missed as mega comfortable
Seat Leon Cupra 03 - Gone

KPB1973
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by KPB1973 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:45 pm

tonyfonda wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 am
Tuning will probably void the warranty, no?

I see from your profile that your 250 was tuned, but what about the 275?
Yes it will if detected, although perhaps only in relation to any faults that could be attributed to it.

No, I didn't map the 275. For family reasons I had to sell it on after 6 months although by that point I was considering some sort of removable tuning solution (maybe Fastchip) but actually I didn't think the 275 needed it as much as the 250 did.

That said, had I eventually gone down the remap route, I wouldn't have had the full fat RS Tuning one as I thought the one on the 250 was too fierce for the FWD / LSD and it chased cambers like mad.
Valencia Orange 125d GONE >330D GONE > Megane 250 Cup (tuned) GONE > 2012 M135i Auto with JB4 GONE > JAG XF 'S' 3.0d GONE > RS Megane 275 Cup-S > F10 530d with TDITuning box

Return to “Other Cars”