M135i vs Golf R

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

pritchardruben

Re: M135i vs Golf R

Post by pritchardruben » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:37 am

In regards to insurance golf r was 300 quid more than my 235i.
I liked the golf r, and unlike others I liked the sound despite it being fake, But the interior in the golf r was much cheaper, than the BMW. After having a scirocco the touch screen nav is OK but a pain to use on the move, and overall the I drive is just better in every way from the VW.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

pritchardruben

Post by pritchardruben » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:37 am

In regards to insurance golf r was 300 quid more than my 235i.
I liked the golf r, and unlike others I liked the sound despite it being fake, But the interior in the golf r was much cheaper, than the BMW. After having a scirocco the touch screen nav is OK but a pain to use on the move, and overall the I drive is just better in every way from the VW.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 am

Interesting review and a fairly honest one by the OP by the sounds of it.

For me its all about the engine and having rear wheel drive in the mlites, I took the Golf R (along with S3 and others) for a test drive before buying the m135i and the engines just don't compare, the R felt fast but not as fast by some margin as the m135i in gear and that for me suits as I am no traffic light racer.
Interiors again the BMW was the nicer place to be IMO and touch screens belong on phones and tablets in cars I find then annoying, one they require IMO more concentration to operate than the idrive and two the greasy finger prints are just plain frustrating.

Running costs are subjective as I pay £50 more per year than my partner does for a standard Focus, servicing etc is comparable if I recall my conversation with the VW dealer.

I do like the R and it was for what I wanted to spend probably number 2 or 3 on my list after the m135i, the Focus RS was below it for me. At the time the R compared to the M135i in terms of price, not sure about that now though, no way I would actually pay more for the R than a Mx40/35 etc.

Hoss
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

M135i vs Golf R

Post by Hoss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 am

A nice balanced review. I agree that the M135i leaves a bit to be desired in the handling department, particularly, if like me, you like the rear-end planted. I preferred the handling of my stock Mk6 Golf R to my stock M135i. However, I changed the M135i's suspension with Eibach Pro Kit springs and B8 dampers and it now out handles, and outperforms my Golf R. Also, I love the ZF.

dape90
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dape90 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:24 am

That's a good and fair review.
And Keith, your MPE has settled in nicely on my M135i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M135i

Class2ldn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Class2ldn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:17 am

I had a golf r and I wouldn't rush back into one unless maybe the power was significantly upgraded.
The reason they are generally cheaper on insurance is the adaptive cruise, I wouldn't say running costs were much cheaper either. I found the noise one of the reasons I got rid, it's soo fake and it just sounds like a poor effort.
Mineral Grey M140, Auto, Coral, Heated seats/wheel, Sun protection, Pro nav, HK, Comfort package, Lumbar, Front/Rear sensors, Speed limit display.

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SkyJawa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 am

If the steering in the BMW is an issue do a driver day. When we went to Millbrook with CAT and explored the steering and feel I find its absolutely fine now I know what I'm looking for.

Stocktonsown

Post by Stocktonsown » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 am

I am new here and have just stumbled across this thread.

I owned a MK7 Golf R for the last two years (Lapiz, 5dr DSG) , up until three weeks ago I chopped in for a M140i (White 5dr auto). If I could reverse the decision I would! Miss the R like mad, and what a disapointment the BMW is in comparison. Engine/sound is full on it makes the car feel quicker than it is, rear wheels constantly stepping out, doesn't go round bends well. What was I thinking!! Maybe I haven't had time to gel with it yet, give it time I guess !

And everyone thinks it's a 116d, asking why the downgrade, hmmm annoying

markymark34
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by markymark34 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 am

Stocktonsown wrote:I am new here and have just stumbled across this thread.

I owned a MK7 Golf R for the last two years (Lapiz, 5dr DSG) , up until three weeks ago I chopped in for a M140i (White 5dr auto). If I could reverse the decision I would! Miss the R like mad, and what a disapointment the BMW is in comparison. Engine/sound is full on it makes the car feel quicker than it is, rear wheels constantly stepping out, doesn't go round bends well. What was I thinking!! Maybe I haven't had time to gel with it yet, give it time I guess !

It's OK I spent the first couple of weeks like this. The tyres on the bmw really need to bed in.
m140i on order

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ScoobyChris » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 am

Stocktonsown wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 am
For me this was one of the big positives and I like the fact the car draws less attention than the Focus ST I had before it...

Chris

gsijay
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by gsijay » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:19 am

Stocktonsown wrote:

Wot was you thinking "🙈🙈🙈bad move .....get yourself back in that lapiz "R"

Stocktonsown

Post by Stocktonsown » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:27 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 am
Stocktonsown wrote:
For me this was one of the big positives and I like the fact the car draws less attention than the Focus ST I had before it...

Chris
It can be a positive depends how you look at it, but when you drop £35k + on a car, you don't want it looking identical to a £6k 1 series either.

Stocktonsown

Post by Stocktonsown » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 am

gsijay wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:19 am
Stocktonsown wrote:

Haha, do not tempt me.

Just another issue, my driver seat keeps on changing position every time I leave the car, then get back in to it after locking it. Really frustrating me, and it means i have to keep adjusting it.

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ScoobyChris » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:37 am

Stocktonsown wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:27 am
It can be a positive depends how you look at it, but when you drop £35k + on a car, you don't want it looking identical to a £6k 1 series either.
Guess it depends on your view point - I really couldn't care less what other people think the value of my car is 😄

Chris

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 am

Stocktonsown wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 am
gsijay wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:19 am
Stocktonsown wrote:

Haha, do not tempt me.

Just another issue, my driver seat keeps on changing position every time I leave the car, then get back in to it after locking it. Really frustrating me, and it means i have to keep adjusting it.
Have you set your seat position to memory?
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

Return to “Other Cars”