Professional Navigation a must have?

Can't decide on what factory or dealer options to go with?
Not sure what a specific option does?
Post your thoughts in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Enthusiast
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Professional Navigation a must have?

Post by Enthusiast » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Before i did not have it i said "nah, don´t need it". Now that i have it i won´t buy another car without it.
Even if it did not come with the actual navigation system it would still be a must for me.
2015 120D | Sport-Auto | M-sport | Alpine White | Alcantara

msej449
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by msej449 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 pm

I had BusNav on my previous car and ProNav on this and I'd agree: once you have it, for the upgrade cost, you'll not want to go back. I make use of the ability to display three different graphics at the same time e.g. a high-level N plan view, plus a near-scale directional view on the main display and then a junction diagram on the instrument cluster. If I'm on my own and navigating to a new destination, I make use of all three. Particularly valuable on holidays abroad when driving through an unfamiliar city/town.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

Rossva
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rossva » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 pm

As an alternative point of view.

No it's not. At all.

The standard offering is great and I have no regrets at all on spending the circa £900 on much more worthwhile stuff... A lot of people saying 'absolutely essential' are trying to justify the massive spend in their own heads if you ask me. (Caveat. Am sure this doesn't apply to anyone on this forum 😉)

w0dge
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by w0dge » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Didn't spec it either. Played with it on the demo on my test drive and then, before ordering, sat and played with business nav in another car. It didn't really seem worth the extra IMO. Maybe if i was in the car travelling here, there and everywhere, then maybe. I though the £ could be better spent on an MPE. :D

Then again, if i was looking as a used buy, i wouldn't be worried about Pro Nav either. Heated seats, PDC, HK - yes, Pro Nav over standard I could live without.
'Bloodbath' is here.... :o

Village_Idiot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Village_Idiot » Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Whilst I'm sure it works well, I find it hard to justify the price for a slightly bigger screen and some added functionality. £900 is just ludicrous.
2016 M140i Estoril Blue - Manual - HK - Comfort Pack
2012 Focus ST-2 Mk3
2009 Golf TDI 110

msej449
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by msej449 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:50 am

I thought ProNav also included a 3-year subscription to BMW Connected Drive as well (versus no subscription with BusNav)? I think the subscription is £60/year? so knock off £180. I appreciate this just begs the question of whether CD is worth it (automated 'in car' map updates and Europe USB stick manual updates probably being the main thing) ...... There may be variation in whether this is/isn't the case depending on country and model/year.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

WAFU7

Post by WAFU7 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 pm

msej449 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:50 am
I thought ProNav also included a 3-year subscription to BMW Connected Drive as well (versus no subscription with BusNav)? I think the subscription is £60/year? so knock off £180.
Plus a year's Deezer subscription (£160 a year) so knock off £340.
Now: M240i MG manual
Previous: F21 118d M-Sport Estoril Blue
Ago: E87 118d M-Sport LMB; VW Corrado VR6; Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Saurav

Post by Saurav » Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am

I would go for the pro nav simply because i think the smaller one looks weird lol. The widescreen pro nav looks perfect, plus i think the new ones come with spotify app support!

simonjt

Post by simonjt » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Saurav wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am
I would go for the pro nav simply because i think the smaller one looks weird lol. The widescreen pro nav looks perfect, plus i think the new ones come with spotify app support!
Im just specing my m140i and reading right through this thread had remained on the 'not important to me' side, many other options I personally think are more important for that kind of money (HK, heated seats, adaptive suspension, sunroof).... until Spotify app support was mentioned. Better control of media whilst driving would be awesome. Anybody using this feature? Any good?
M140i Shadow on order

simonjt

Post by simonjt » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Found another thread on this and sounds like its pretty good for playing stuff on saved playlists. So I guess a better question for me is how difficult is it in comparison to use Spotify through the standard nav system? Assume you can press play on a playlist when setting off and then skip tracks using buttons on the wheel? If you get a call anyone know if you can easily resume playing without touching your phone?

If not I may be tempted with yet another expensive option!
M140i Shadow on order

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:15 pm

As others have said, it's the first thing I put on my must have list. It makes a huge difference to the look of the cabin imo, combined with the black panel display etc.

Feature set is fairly significant over the business system as well (hard drive, 3D maps, Apps integration etc)

shmo

Post by shmo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I've been using Spotify with the pro nav on my M140i and my Android phone and it works pretty well. Got in my car today, phone connected via bluetooth and the Spotify icon appeared in the media list after a few seconds. It took a few seconds more before clicking the button with the idrive controller actually did anything but music was playing before I got out the work car park.

I have had a few problems though with the Spotify icon not appearing sometimes, and other times pressing the button caused the radioplayer app on my phone to start playing instead of Spotify but I think the latter problem at least may be a phone setup issue. It was like the radioplayer app was seeing my car as a bluetooth speaker and taking over instead of letting spotify have go so I think I just need to make sure that app isn't running when connecting.

nigelkr1

Post by nigelkr1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 pm

The pro system came in mine but for nav I use my phone with Google Maps it's better. Though some of the other features might be useful.

fufty1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fufty1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:56 am

Just swapped an m135i with pro nav to an LCI2 M240i with bus nav.

The maps on the new bus nav are much better, to the point where this isn't an advantage anymore with the pro nav.
I slightly miss having the clock and weather on split screen, but not £900 worth. for me waste of money.
Current: M240i manual EB with cognac.
Gone: m135i auto MG

Return to “BMW OEM Options & Accessories”