Baby BMW Forum banner

Vinyl Wrapping Roof - Would this Look Good ??

11K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Goon 
#1 ·
Anyone done this yet ??

Pics if possible.

Cheers.

Malc.

#9 ·
There are just so many A3's and 1-series here that have their roofs done in flat black vinyl or painted black.

I'm glad for the sake of difference, that my roof is done in a vinyl that not many are doing. I do like my car without it too, so it will come of some time - but not yet.

My car prior to vinyl

#10 ·
Dela said:
There are just so many A3's and 1-series here that have their roofs done in flat black vinyl or painted black.

I'm glad for the sake of difference, that my roof is done in a vinyl that not many are doing. I do like my car without it too, so it will come of some time - but not yet.

My car prior to vinyl
Your 1er looks amazing with and without the vinyl. Looks really sharp, love the alloys - almost looks futuristic!

You should post up a full picture gallery of her here!

#15 ·
I was @ Sytner's in Leicester about 8 weeks ago to put my car in for some work and in their showroom they had a red 135 with what I thought was a graphite roof or covering. There were proper BMW performance graphite parts on it, but the roof was something they had done themselves. And guess what car it was?

Evo mags red 135 longtermer! They've chavved it up! Evo fully upgraded the engine and suspension and put some graphite bodykit on it, so Sytners had the aforementioned vinyl wrapped roof done to match it. Sytners are UK's biggest Beemer dealership chain so I know they get first pick of head office cars (+ only UK Alpina dealership).

I can't say I thought it looked too great to be honest, but fooled me into thinking it was graphite from a distance. I would worry what the state of it would be a year or two down the line. I'm sure things have moved on from the 70's (i'm old enough to remember the state of my Dad's Austin Princess's vinyl roof in early 80's after a couple of British winters and hot summers had ravaged it..... and it was not pretty :wink: ), but even so it could still get manky way quicker than the paintwork and that would not be a good or easy thing to cover up i'd think.

#17 ·
dazmb said:
I was @ Sytner's in Leicester about 8 weeks ago to put my car in for some work and in their showroom they had a red 135 with what I thought was a graphite roof or covering. There were proper BMW performance graphite parts on it, but the roof was something they had done themselves. And guess what car it was?

Evo mags red 135 longtermer! They've chavved it up! Evo fully upgraded the engine and suspension and put some graphite bodykit on it, so Sytners had the aforementioned vinyl wrapped roof done to match it. Sytners are UK's biggest Beemer dealership chain so I know they get first pick of head office cars (+ only UK Alpina dealership).

I can't say I thought it looked too great to be honest, but fooled me into thinking it was graphite from a distance. I would worry what the state of it would be a year or two down the line. I'm sure things have moved on from the 70's (i'm old enough to remember the state of my Dad's Austin Princess's vinyl roof in early 80's after a couple of British winters and hot summers had ravaged it..... and it was not pretty :wink: ), but even so it could still get manky way quicker than the paintwork and that would not be a good or easy thing to cover up i'd think.
In my experience with vinyl wrap, it's fairly durable material with little colour fade or degradation of the glue etc. and if applied well, no reason it shouldn't last for several years without a problem. Especially if it's in a relatively 'safe' area like the roof; bumpers and bonnets can take quite a battering from stone chips, although the beauty of vinyl is it's easy to fix certain areas if they start to look less than ideal.

Personally, I think roof wraps are a simple and effective mod to do, but the key really is getting a good fitter, even for something like the roof.

#19 ·
Dela said:

My car prior to vinyl
Whitewall tyres, amazing look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.