Baby BMW Forum banner

M135i Retrofit heated seats

18K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Sid10 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Took delivery of my new M135i in Sep of last year and find it to be a very exciting car to drive and think it is the best car I have ever owned so far. Now we are into the colder months of the year I regret not ticking the heated seats option.

I approached my local BMW dealer to check on the possibility of retrofitting them, I was informed by the service advisor that they would not be able to do the work to the same standard as the factory Installation and that I would not be satisfied. I thought his response was rather odd, I took it to mean that maybe they are not competent to carry out the work which of course leaves me rather lacking in confidence in their abilities. Does anybody know of an authorised BMW dealer that would/could do the work, I do not want use an after market solution provider.

Your thoughts and comments would be welcome guys.

#2 ·
Best bet would be source seats with the heating element already fitted yourself and all the other bits you need.. From either eBay or you could try Quarry Motors

#4 ·
The trouble you'll come across is, if they don't have the official procedure for retrofits, they won't usually be able to help. We regularly hear of members being declined relatively minor coding.

Do you have the buttons on the dash, or are they blanks?

#5 ·
marco_polo said:
The trouble you'll come across is, if they don't have the official procedure for retrofits, they won't usually be able to help. We regularly hear of members being declined relatively minor coding.

Do you have the buttons on the dash, or are they blanks?
They must be blanks? If he doesn't have heated seats.. Well I would of thought so anyway

#8 ·
Is it really worth it? It will likely cost you thousands for the seats and fitting, granted you would get some back off your old seats but still would it be worth it considering it's only something like a £260 option. I like my heated seats but I wouldn't pay silly money.

#10 ·
It can probably be done, I've not seen a retrofit guide for the newer models, but there is one for the E87 generation. I've retrofitted heated seats to my E39, took a while as I had tro scratch biuld the looms and strip the seats to install the heater mats, probably about 15-20 hours all in.

The 1 series may (or may not) need additional modules and will most probably need coding.

#16 ·
I've never used mine as I am usually warm by the time they start working. I find cold leather to be a very very small problem but each to their own.

#17 ·
Heated seats are definitely a personal choice. I don't have leather but opted for heated seats as SWMBO loves them regardless. First thing she does is whack it on 3 every time she gets in the passenger seat (we park underground so the car's cool upon entry), so tbat in itself has paid for them in my eyes. Love them in winter though, makes my baubles nice n warm :lol2:

Retrofitting them is definitely possible. Your issue will be the wiring looms to your centre console and having the buttons added to the climate control unit, as well as having it coded. Bit of a ballache but as someone else has said, look for one from a breakers. You'll need the seats and climate control panel.

Stratstone Leeds have a guy that comes in to do all their retrofits for them, if this is closer for you?

Edit: found these F30 black seats, assuming that's the right colour and fitment?

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Sytner in Maidenhead have told me they can get them fitted. They don't do it themselves but have a third party do it, but in their garage it seems. So not a bmw part. The button would be on the side of the seat plastic, not on the dash.

I am not clear of the effect of an after market modification to the car when it comes to part ex, and also of it is on a finance agreement are we allowed to....

#22 ·
I asked when i fitted the MPE but that is easy to remove. They had no problem with that as it was a genuine BMW part.
Not sure how easy the heated seats would be to remove, and with it being a non genuine BMW part.

That said, it only really matters i guess if you get to the point of handing it back at the end of the term.

#23 ·
jamesnw said:
Sytner in Maidenhead have told me they can get them fitted. They don't do it themselves but have a third party do it, but in their garage it seems. So not a bmw part. The button would be on the side of the seat plastic, not on the dash.

I am not clear of the effect of an after market modification to the car when it comes to part ex, and also of it is on a finance agreement are we allowed to....
The parts guy had no idea.. do you know who you spoke to there ?

#26 ·
I finally sold my car to a nice chap who appreciated more the LSD than the heated seats thankfully.

But they are an essential item come resale time so would never spec a car without them. They should be standard anyways. Really can't understand why The leather is and not the heated seats. Makes no sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.