Baby BMW Forum banner

Wifi Hotspot

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  BishUK 
#1 ·
I believe that this is a new option on m140i and m240i.

Is it part of enhanced Bluetooth? How does it work?

#3 ·
AndytheGreek said:
It uses the built in sim to create a hotspot. A bit like a mifi.
I am guessing free for three years then yearly subscription after that, a bit like the concierge services and realtime traffic info subscription.
So do you need Enhanced Bluetooth for this?

Seems strange that you do if it uses the vehicle's SIM.

#5 ·
AndytheGreek said:
Maybe so but its probably just the way it will be bundled
So does enhanced bluetooth give you a phone holder in the centre console? Presumably you'll need a new one every time you upgrade your phone?

If you connect your phone via USB, are exactly the same options available without EB?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Timewarp said:
Presumably you'll need a new one every time you upgrade your phone?
There are now 2 "universal" adapters available. One for iStuff and one for everyone else who uses the "agreed industry standard" (Micro USB).

#9 ·
Probably won't bother with it since I'll be able to play music, charge and make calls without. Will probably get some type of bracket so I can mount the phone somewhere discrete to see the display.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Wi-fi uses Vodafone 4g connection and in the 7 series you a free trial to start i think for a month

From BMW...
Enables connection of mobile devices to the internet via the SIM card installed in the vehicle. Depending on the local LTE availability, up to 10 devices can surf the internet with max. 100 Mbit/s. Its use is subject to cost, data plans can be purchased via the mobile network operator when connected to the vehicle.

#12 ·
I'm using the free month's trial of the wifi hotspot, wondering whether it would be a replacement to having a data plan on the phone I leave permanently in the car for Spotify. The service is provided by T-Mobile so I assume this would be on the EE network. It's £16 for the basic 1GB plan and seems to work OK. If you turn it on in iDrive it tells you where to go to subscribe (the first month is free).

In comparison to most retail data plans it's obviously more expensive eg. Vodafone is currently about £17/5GB, although you can roam with it at no extra charge in most of Europe.

The advantage I see is that it's using the car's aerial and so in areas where the phone struggles to get a signal the hotspot should be better.

#14 ·
deadlydave said:
Do you have to have the media package to get access to a sim card for the car?

I should be picking my M140 up next week but unsure if I will have a sim as I did not order the media package.
Unless you ordered ConnectedDrive Services / Emergency Call options I don't think you will have a SIM. Even then, if you were thinking about hotspot services you'd have to have Wifi prep, which comes with the EBT with wireless option.

#16 ·
I'll find you out when I get my M240i in March. From what the dealer has told me, there are various plans and this comes with the "Smartphone connectivity" option package. They say service is through AT&T, and free for a few months with fairly typical data rate packages from there. It operates much like adding a data package for a tablet on your mobile bill. Separate from ARTTI, map updates, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.