Professional Navigation a must have?

Can't decide on what factory or dealer options to go with?
Not sure what a specific option does?
Post your thoughts in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

un1eash
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Professional Navigation a must have?

Post by un1eash » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Looking or order an M140i and can't decide if professional navigation is a must or not, I don't have it on our F11 520d family car and can't say I miss it.

Options I will be going for are...
3dr Manual in Alpine White
Comfort Access
Sun Protection Glass
Heated Front Seats
HK Surround Sound
Driver Comfort Package

Not sure if pro nav is worth the extra £16.50 a month on a TRL pcp deal.

RMB123d
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Professional Navigation a must have?

Post by RMB123d » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:06 pm

If it were me I would spec it, and I wouldn't buy a used BMW without it. I don't like the small business nav screen at all.

Just my opinion and others will no doubt disagree.

Only you can decide if it's worth the extra. Maybe try both before deciding.

Rich
2009 E82 123d M sport, space grey, 261m alloys, black leather, pro nav, focal audio. Wagner cooler, ecotune stage 1, BMWP exhaust, MPS4 225/255.
2004 E46 M3 SMG silver grey, fully loaded. Sold (huge mistake)
2003 E46 330ci mystic blue - sold

Phil330
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Phil330 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Like most things in life you wont miss what you aint had.
Standard nav works absolutely fine for me, having come from an e92 with no nav. I can see my music covers too using my ipod classic :band:
Gone: E82 123d M Sport Coupe, AW, Red Coral Leather...
Gone: E90 330d Monaco Blue, Xenons, Leather heated seats...
Gone: E92 335d Montego Blue, black leather heated seats, Xenons...
Now: F20 M140i Valencia Orange, black leather heated seats, HK...

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:42 pm

What's the differences between the two versions ?
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

un1eash
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by un1eash » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am

Pro Nav basically from what I can tell gives you Remote Services, Concierge Service and Online Entertainment options. As well as being a larger 8.8" screen, 20gb Harddrive, Touch Controller and a few other features sat nav, voice control features.

Anyway think I've decided against it and also going to go for Valencia Orange now.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 am

Depends when you are thinking of selling it though as well.

I would filter out all cars on AUC without Pro nav before I even look at the list for sale and I imagine most will do the same. I wouldn't be without it, worth it for the touch controller and 20gb HDD alone.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:16 am

As someone currently looking at used M135i's Pro Nav is not that big a deal to me. Far more important is Driver Comfort, upgraded speakers and Adaptive suspension.
But I'm probably the exception simce I don't give a crap about in car connectivity/apple play/wifi/online services etc and want a manual box.
Current: 130i, Exige S V6, Clio Trophy
Previous: Several TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

un1eash
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by un1eash » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 am

Pro Nav doesn't appear to be a popular option when looking at AUC cars, more cars don't have it then do. Comfort Access and Driver Comfort Package are must haves for me, I cant stand our 2016 F11 doesn't have keyless entry and wish i'd added that option. I still think its crazy this isn't standard on a £30k+ car along with at least reverse sensors.

MEGAginge
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MEGAginge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:48 am

In an M140/240 you're dealing with enthusiasts.

I'd argue in this model it's the MOST important choice to have it.

You'll see a lot of ex-contract lease cars without it, as they were bought by lease companies to be as cheap on the monthlies as possible. But all privately owned cars of this marque more or less would have it, I'd expect.

Like the other posters, I simply ignore any car without it when looking.. Many will do the same. Someone looking for a 120d might not care, but "we" probably do...

Dave...
ImageImageImage
Estoril Blue/Coral Red...
Auto, Adaptive Susp, Visibility, Sun Protection, Prof Nav, Cruise, Comfort packages. HK... Heated seats... Many :D smiles

rs990
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rs990 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:41 pm

MEGAginge wrote:In an M140/240 you're dealing with enthusiasts.

I'd argue in this model it's the MOST important choice to have it.
I am going to disagree. I think that in the M140i/240i the driver comfort package (because the options should have been standard) and heated seats will be expected on almost everything.

With regards to enthusiasts, I would have though that adaptive suspension would be higher on the agenda than navigation.

I may be biased as I think that BMW's navigation offerings are hopeless compared to dedicated devices or apps, and with the option being at a considerably higher cost than my 4k tv it was an easy option for me to reject.
2017 F20 M140i Auto - Alpine White
Previous - 2014 F21 M135i Auto - Estoril Blue

Matthaus
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matthaus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:54 am

For me I think it is essential.

It just looks so much better with the big screen and separates it from something like a golf with a crappy small screen in the dash.

I love technology and iDrive remains one of the best all round systems on the market, and I dont understand why someone can say the sat nav isnt good? I found it really good in my 2009 135 and fully expect it to be better still in my new car when it arrives.

The smaller standard screens look pathetic for a 30-40k car and really cheapens the feel of the inside IMO

I think many more people would take pronav if it didnt have all the online stuff as well - it is an expensive option just to look at it, you have to fully use its features to really get your monies worth.

It is standard now in M3/M4s so it will start to be more and more prevalent over the next few years.
BMW 135i Coupe - Sold
BMW M240i Coupe - Finally arrived!

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:47 am

I've ran the BMW pro nav system in my BMW's for years and never had any issue with the sat nav. Not saying it's better than TomTom or any other apps but I've always found it excellent.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

RickN55
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by RickN55 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 pm

I spend a lot of time driving my Dads X3 35d that has all the pro nav stuff.. Then when I get in my M135i that doesn't have nav (The small cheap looking crappy screen as every one puts it on here) I don't miss it at all tbh.. Then again I bought mine for the driving thrill not too bothered about the tech inside.. Long as it had all the creature comforts, Heated seats, parking sensors, cruise, tints etc I was happy :D
Probs be best to have a spin in a car that has got pro nav and see what you think and if you would be happy without it
Now - F21 2013 Alpine White M135i Auto (Sun protection package, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, High Gloss shadowline Finish, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)
Before - Focus ST Stage 1, Astra 1.8 SRi, Clio 1.2

rs990
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rs990 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:04 am

Matthaus wrote:I love technology and iDrive remains one of the best all round systems on the market, and I dont understand why someone can say the sat nav isnt good? I found it really good in my 2009 135 and fully expect it to be better still in my new car when it arrives.
I am not much of a fan of the navigation interface, plus it lacks some important features that I use regularly compared to a dedicated unit.

The interface is a personal opinion, and may be coloured by my decade or so using TomTom and Garmin, but I will run down a few areas I feel that the BMW Nav is lacking in.

1 - Routing is a bit strange at times. Every navigation system has it's own quirks, but some of the routes BMW's nav has guided me near home are a bit strange. All other nav systems guide me along the quickest route, the BMW system goes around the houses a bit. Not necessarily a major issue, but it hits your confidence in the system.

2 - No Speed Cameras!

3 - Real Time Traffic Info is useful, but it needs work. It needs to cover every single road. No point in just covering the major roads if it guides you into gridlock on a side road. Even on the major roads it can be a bit ropey. On the M25 last weekend it was trying to guide me onto the closed M25/M4 London bound slip road. There is no excuse for a RTTI system not picking up that closure.

Another thing that would be a good future addition would be a "timeline" like the TomTom devices. Being able to see exactly how long the delay is, and exactly how far ahead of you the jam is definitely helps. If it's a road I know well, it helps me figure out if the traffic jam is "predictable" or not and I can chose to take an alternative route before the traffic becomes even worse.

My complaints about navigation are not really BMW specific. Car manufacturers have been playing catchup to the handsets and apps for a while.
2017 F20 M140i Auto - Alpine White
Previous - 2014 F21 M135i Auto - Estoril Blue

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Have the old pro nav system in an E87 the only reason I would recommend it was a way to get a monitor for the iPod integration kit. The family e90 has a TomTom which comes with it's own 4G sim for free lifetime real-time traffic data. It also has speed camera location and postcodes and all £800 less than the E87. The new 1ers come with a screen, I would just take the option to connect an iPhone and browse the music on there and buy a £200 TomTom...
120d RS Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

Return to “BMW OEM Options & Accessories”