Double din Stereo installed in my 118D

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

mave87

Double din Stereo installed in my 118D

Post by mave87 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi all. Just fitted a Pioneer AV280BT in my 1 series. And what an arse of a job to do haha! I had to cut away a lot of the plastic in the stereo casing behind with a dremel and oscillator. And had problems with the heater panel not sitting correctly and falling back into the void as the notches were in a different position than the original stereo which sat in the place. Got around this by adding screws to the backplate and adjusting them accordingly ('my dads genius idea, I'll get pics of this!) again the stereo isn't really fitted properly as I can't get a cage in there, it's kind of wedged with a piece of metal underneath, but you can't see this so 😁

Also removed the old cigarette lighter by the Aux in and adding a flush USB extension and routing it through to the back of the stereo. Another painful job! But it works and looks decent now.

Some snaps-

Only thing left to do is work out why it forgets the time after a few hours of shut down (does it need a constant 12v?) and would like my parking sensors working!

shippy82

Re: Double din Stereo installed in my 118D

Post by shippy82 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 am

That looks like a tidy install, as much of a ball ache as it is, it always feels worthwhile when you look at the finished article. I like the placement of the USB input too. Also a great choice with what was on the screen, cant beat a bit of Max and Paddy!!

The reason you're having the issue with the unit forgetting settings etc is because it doesn't have the constant live going to it, i had the same problem a few weeks ago with mine. I am using the connects2 loom for parking sensors and there is a fused yellow wire that needs to be put into the fuse board. Obviously as you don't have this, you may need to change the red and yellow bullet connectors round, so red to yellow and yellow to red, or vice versa if thats how they are already.

There are a few versions available, the CTSBM006, this covers the steering wheel controls and reverse parking. The CTSBM009.2, this does the same as the 06, but also adds the warning tones from the cluster, i.e no seatbelt, low fuel, etc. I have the 06 as i'm not too fussed about the warning chimes, i can see them visually on the cluster. Straight forward to add in to the wiring, just plug and play. Also don't forget to add the steering wheel patch lead should you want the controls back.

Hopefully some this is of some help to you

mave87

Post by mave87 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks!

Ok, i swapped the red to the yellow, and yellow to red behind the stereo and it doesn't remember the settings at all. In fact, it kept blowing up the fuse in the steering wheel adapter when the volume is raised! When it's red in red and yellow in yellow, it will remember the settings for a while but if the car has been off for a few hours or so it forgets the time (strangely the date stays the same as what it was previously and and it remembers my EQ settings etc. And it asks for the language on startup as if it's a new install. It's very strange!

Ah I did see the CTSBM009.2, but at £92 it's rather a lot and I just thought I'd only needed my steering wheel adapter.

https://image.ibb.co/jnhc8Q/IMG_2134.jpg

Also here's a photo of the rear, shows how Much I had to cut out and use these screws to adjust it to sit properly haha

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Sonic1506 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:05 pm

You need a switched live to remember the settings.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

mave87

Post by mave87 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:04 pm

I'll be honest, I've no idea what that means or how to do it!

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 am

mave87 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:04 pm
I'll be honest, I've no idea what that means or how to do it!
if in doubt, take it to an audio shop.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

mave87

Post by mave87 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am

Best option really, thanks.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”