Head unit

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Pattaz84

Head unit

Post by Pattaz84 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:59 am

Hi

I’ve got a 2010 E87 118d M Sport with the business head unit and looking to install a double din head unit with the 2 adapters for steering whee control, pdc and bongs etc. Also need the correct connects2 adapter but does it include trimming the climate control unit or is just on the pre face lift you need to do that? I’m not sure if I have the face lift unit or not.

ImageImage

Also what is everyone’s take on the best make of head unit or is it just personal preference. Been looking at pioneer and Kenwood units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Head unit

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 am

Pattaz84 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:59 am
Hi

I’ve got a 2010 E87 118d M Sport with the business head unit and looking to install a double din head unit with the 2 adapters for steering whee control, pdc and bongs etc. Also need the correct connects2 adapter but does it include trimming the climate control unit or is just on the pre face lift you need to do that? I’m not sure if I have the face lift unit or not.

Also what is everyone’s take on the best make of head unit or is it just personal preference. Been looking at pioneer and Kenwood units

Pre facelift can't take a Double DIN without doing an LCI dash conversion.
You have a facelift car.
You need the connects2 Double DIN Fascia for Auto Climate Control. The controls will go above the screen. You'll also need the steering wheel harness as well if you want to keep use of the controls, PDC. CTSBM009.2 is what I'd recommend in terms of the harness. CTSBM006 will only do PDC whereas BM009.2 will do PDC and beeps.
You need to trim the rear of the dash to allow a Double DIN to fit in.

Fitting kits can be seen below:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/bmw-1-s ... ntrol.html
http://caraudiosecurity.com/bmw-1-serie ... itting-kit

I had a Pioneer AVH-X8500BT in mine but changed it to an AVIC-F80DAB as I wanted DAB & Navigation which the AVH-X8500BT lacked. (I just prefer Pioneer, I've had Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, JVC in previous cars).

It looks like this:

| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Pattaz84

Head unit

Post by Pattaz84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Cheers Sonic1506. That’s a real help. I thought I had to buy both harnesses so that saves me a bit of money as well. Is that a mechless one without CD player you’ve got in at the minute?

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Pattaz84 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm
Cheers Sonic1506. That’s a real help. I thought I had to buy both harnesses so that saves me a bit of money as well. Is that a mechless one without CD player you’ve got in at the minute?

No, just the one harness :). It's got CD/MP3/DVD/SD/USB/DAB/NAVAndroid Auto Support/Apple CarPlay Support :). The CD/SD is behind the face (it slides down when you press the eject button). The USB's I have run into my glovebox :).
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Pattaz84

Head unit

Post by Pattaz84 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Ah right cool. Did the usb come with the unit and ran to your glove box?

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 am

Pattaz84 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:26 pm
Ah right cool. Did the usb come with the unit and ran to your glove box?

It comes with USB extensions as the USB is at the rear of the unit. Those extensions were run into the glove box, a hole was made for the USB's to pass through and a beauty ring placed on top so that the whole looks like a "+" shape with just wires poking through. It's unnoticeable unless you stick your head in the glovebox and look for where the wires pass through.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”