How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Post Reply
Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm

How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Bunford » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:59 pm

I have purchased an after market stereo for my 2005 E87 118D Sport and am havibg some issues. Essentially there isnt much roon for the connevtora and wieing behind the stereo with almost forcing the unit in an squeezing cables. I then get some random dropouts like right speakers go off, but then when I pull it all out and re-fix connectors it all comes back again.

Th stereo has a harness with it that clicks into the quad lock and comes with the canbus decoder etc.

I am just wondering if it is safe and relatively easy to cut the quad lock blocks off and solder the wires together and heat shrink instead to get more reliable connection and more room? Will doing this throw up any errors on the car?
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

User avatar
Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2014
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Nottsknots » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am

Cutting and soldering wont throw any errors, provided you do it properly. I would definately disconnect the battery beforehand, to avoid blowing fuses, or on some connectors melting the wires. That said, is it really that tight behind there? I know many of us have had "fun" fitting handsfree kits in the tiny space, but there is a hole off to the passenger side (behind the fusebox) where you can push LOADS of stuff (connectors, spare cabling etc). If you can jiggle stuff down there, it may save you a lot of grief cutting and jointing, and leave your wiring intact.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Bunford » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am
Cutting and soldering wont throw any errors, provided you do it properly. I would definately disconnect the battery beforehand, to avoid blowing fuses, or on some connectors melting the wires. That said, is it really that tight behind there? I know many of us have had "fun" fitting handsfree kits in the tiny space, but there is a hole off to the passenger side (behind the fusebox) where you can push LOADS of stuff (connectors, spare cabling etc). If you can jiggle stuff down there, it may save you a lot of grief cutting and jointing, and leave your wiring intact.
Well, my car isn't standard. It's a 2005 pre facelift 118D E87 but the interior has been upgraded to a 2008 M Sport facelift interior. It does give a extra DIN slot, and there is a pocket to the left, but the length of cables won't allow me to dump the bulky things in the pocket and them reach back to the stereo too.

Having just popped to Halfords and asked for some advice in as naive a way as possible but also sounding like I vaguely understand so they don't just dupe me, their electrician said cutting off the quad lock is perfectly fine in terms of errors as it serves no 'electronic function other than to easily arrange wires for connection to default stereo. He said to skip the soldering too. He said when they install they normally cut off the connector if the customer is fine with it and that is their preferred method to get more space. They then simply twist the wires thoroughly and use the plastic screw down 'chocolate box connectors to get the most secure and reliable connection they can. They will then ideally heat shrink in place or use insulation tape if too bulky.

Sounds like a neat solution to be fair as I have no intention of selling the car and will probably just replace the carand take the stereo out once the car dies.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by bjt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 pm

There is loads of space immediately down the back of the HU bay, immediately below where the quadlock would plug in to the HU?
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

User avatar
Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 7531
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am
Location: Here, There, Everywhere.
Contact:

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Sonic1506 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am

Bunford wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:59 pm
I have purchased an after market stereo for my 2005 E87 118D Sport and am havibg some issues. Essentially there isnt much roon for the connevtora and wieing behind the stereo with almost forcing the unit in an squeezing cables. I then get some random dropouts like right speakers go off, but then when I pull it all out and re-fix connectors it all comes back again.

Th stereo has a harness with it that clicks into the quad lock and comes with the canbus decoder etc.

I am just wondering if it is safe and relatively easy to cut the quad lock blocks off and solder the wires together and heat shrink instead to get more reliable connection and more room? Will doing this throw up any errors on the car?
Why would you want to? It's easy to fit it with space to spare for the wiring.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Bunford » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am

Sonic1506 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am
Bunford wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:59 pm
I have purchased an after market stereo for my 2005 E87 118D Sport and am havibg some issues. Essentially there isnt much roon for the connevtora and wieing behind the stereo with almost forcing the unit in an squeezing cables. I then get some random dropouts like right speakers go off, but then when I pull it all out and re-fix connectors it all comes back again.

Th stereo has a harness with it that clicks into the quad lock and comes with the canbus decoder etc.

I am just wondering if it is safe and relatively easy to cut the quad lock blocks off and solder the wires together and heat shrink instead to get more reliable connection and more room? Will doing this throw up any errors on the car?
Why would you want to? It's easy to fit it with space to spare for the wiring.
I want to do it to free up space cos it's cramped in there and having fixed my stereo in place, random thing keep dropping out like right front or left front speaker cosbits not clean behind the stereo. I know it's the cobfibed space because when I pull put and re-attach connections it all works fine again. The issue is that there is a small pocket for the quad lock connector, but if i use it then there isnt enough wiring to connect to the back of the stereo because thw stereo has to go so far in foe the cables to reach it that I can't get my hands in there to make the attachments.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

User avatar
Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 7531
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am
Location: Here, There, Everywhere.
Contact:

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am

Bunford wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am
I want to do it to free up space cos it's cramped in there and having fixed my stereo in place, random thing keep dropping out like right front or left front speaker cosbits not clean behind the stereo. I know it's the cobfibed space because when I pull put and re-attach connections it all works fine again. The issue is that there is a small pocket for the quad lock connector, but if i use it then there isnt enough wiring to connect to the back of the stereo because thw stereo has to go so far in foe the cables to reach it that I can't get my hands in there to make the attachments.
Are you fitting a single or double din? I've done a few installs and been fine for space so I don't understand why you are struggling for space, personally.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Bunford » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm

My car is a pre facelift E87 with a retrofit facelift dash upgrade so may be slightly different to stock facelift. It is a single DIN CD mechanism but a double DIN screen in a fascia made to te unit and the auto heater/AC control.

I never plan to sell the car and am not likely to ever want to put the factory stereo back so have been told no harm in cutting the quad lock connector off to make more room then.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

User avatar
Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 7531
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am
Location: Here, There, Everywhere.
Contact:

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 am

Bunford wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm
My car is a pre facelift E87 with a retrofit facelift dash upgrade so may be slightly different to stock facelift. It is a single DIN CD mechanism but a double DIN screen in a fascia made to te unit and the auto heater/AC control.

I never plan to sell the car and am not likely to ever want to put the factory stereo back so have been told no harm in cutting the quad lock connector off to make more room then.
Yes, there is no harm at all. However I've managed to get it all to fit in without any harm and I've done a few different installs. What brand of unit are you trying to fit in?
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Bunford » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 am
Bunford wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm
My car is a pre facelift E87 with a retrofit facelift dash upgrade so may be slightly different to stock facelift. It is a single DIN CD mechanism but a double DIN screen in a fascia made to te unit and the auto heater/AC control.

I never plan to sell the car and am not likely to ever want to put the factory stereo back so have been told no harm in cutting the quad lock connector off to make more room then.

Yes, there is no harm at all. However I've managed to get it all to fit in without any harm and I've done a few different installs. What brand of unit are you trying to fit in?
The unit is a Chinese Android system, which is essentially a non-branded Joying etc type unit.

The issue (I think) is mainly down to the size of quad lock once both sockets are put together and the length of the wires from the harness to the back of the stereo. The quad lock's size means it is in the way unless I tuck to the left in the hole between stereo space and glove box, but by putting it there the wires to the back of the stereo are so short that the unit needs to be slid in quite far before the wires will reach, and so far that I can't get my hand in to connect the wires. If I connect before putting the unit in, I cannot then get my hand in to steer the quad lock socket to the space on the left. It's just quite confined.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Bunford » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:22 pm

This is what I was planning on following and doing essentially...

https://youtu.be/OThxY0oRjp0
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

User avatar
Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 7531
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am
Location: Here, There, Everywhere.
Contact:

Re: How safe and easy is it to cut quad lock connector and DIY the wiring?

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 am

Bunford wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 pm
The unit is a Chinese Android system, which is essentially a non-branded Joying etc type unit.

The issue (I think) is mainly down to the size of quad lock once both sockets are put together and the length of the wires from the harness to the back of the stereo. The quad lock's size means it is in the way unless I tuck to the left in the hole between stereo space and glove box, but by putting it there the wires to the back of the stereo are so short that the unit needs to be slid in quite far before the wires will reach, and so far that I can't get my hand in to connect the wires. If I connect before putting the unit in, I cannot then get my hand in to steer the quad lock socket to the space on the left. It's just quite confined.
Ah, I see.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Post Reply

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”