Head unit upgrade

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Pattaz84

Head unit upgrade

Post by Pattaz84 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi. Just got an e87 2010 but disappointed to find out it doesn’t have the hands free as it’s just the business unit. Has anyone tried something like the below as it looks pretty good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/232549259887

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Head unit upgrade

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

You'll be worse off with that unit, it'll be slow, clunky and a bit crap to use if I'm honest. In my opinion you're better off upgrading to a single din with bluetooth or if you want a screen then go for that option - budget allowing.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

LanceG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by LanceG » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 am

Possibly one of those parrot devices for handsfree??

I was looking at that device from ebay myself as they look quite good

Sonic are you speaking from experience?? :shock:

OP - take the plunge and let us know ye :D
120d SE - FK Coilovers.
Upcoming mods: Short gear knob hopefully next.

Pattaz84

Post by Pattaz84 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 am

Haha I’m waiting on someone else uploading a video of the one he has. Will let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

LanceG wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 am

I used to work in car audio before I got my masters and moved back into IT. While I was there we fitted all sorts of units from the top end Pioneer/Alpine, to budget end Mutant/JVC to utter crap Chinese android units. We didn't sell the Chinese android based units, they were customer supplied and almost everyone that had it fitted, in various cars, came back for a better alternative. They're cheaper than alternatives for a reason, with car audio, you get what you pay for.

So, to answer your question, yes, I'm talking from experience.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

mr_kpt

Post by mr_kpt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm
LanceG wrote:

I used to work in car audio before I got my masters and moved back into IT. While I was there we fitted all sorts of units from the top end Pioneer/Alpine, to budget end Mutant/JVC to utter crap Chinese android units. We didn't sell the Chinese android based units, they were customer supplied and almost everyone that had it fitted, in various cars, came back for a better alternative. They're cheaper than alternatives for a reason, with car audio, you get what you pay for.

Defo agree with this... it's worth spending that bit more for a decent system rather than the bottom-end stuff - but of course, budget permitting.

I was really disappointed with the stock unit in my E87, (there weren't even any tweeters!?!) - did a full Alpine speaker upgrade and installed an ILX-700 (CarPlay) unit and more than glad that I did
E87 120d (N47) M-Sport

LanceG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by LanceG » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm
LanceG wrote:

Think you may have saved me from wasting more of my moneys then sir! :mrgreen: :spotman:
120d SE - FK Coilovers.
Upcoming mods: Short gear knob hopefully next.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 am

LanceG wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm
Think you may have saved me from wasting more of my moneys then sir! :mrgreen: :spotman:
I would advise you to stick to a well known brand :thumbs:.
mr_kpt wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 pm
Defo agree with this... it's worth spending that bit more for a decent system rather than the bottom-end stuff - but of course, budget permitting.

I was really disappointed with the stock unit in my E87, (there weren't even any tweeters!?!) - did a full Alpine speaker upgrade and installed an ILX-700 (CarPlay) unit and more than glad that I did
My E87 came with one underseat sub, no tweeters (but tweeter covers) and BMW Business up front. Changed the unit for a Pioneer AVH-X8500BT and then a AVIC-F80DAB.

Speakers, tweeters, underseat subs were changed to Gladen 201BMW 3 Ways Normal with an E91 enclosure added in under the drivers seat. All powered off a JL Audio XD400/4 and a XS Power AGM battery added in.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”