failing display

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

sk3pt1cal

failing display

Post by sk3pt1cal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:30 am

Morning all

I'm new to the forum so hi.
I'm currently having and issue with my stereo, so im searching the forums at the moment. Have not come across the issue yet but maybe i will find it in an older posting.
So i own a 2008 E88 120i se convertible. The issue im having is first thing in the morning the professional radio is all good with clear display. now as the day progresses or even when everything is up to temperature the display becomes blocky and then just goes blank. park up over night and its like a rinse repeat daily. Just wondered if anyone has suffered this and what their fix was.
I am actually thinking of just swapping the stereo and sound system out after the some reading i have been doing on these sound setups.
I've seen the cabling and face plates to accommodate this, so this seems a good viable option and a good problem solver to my issue.
I have been trying to search for a system that will use the current steering controls and hopefully the Aux and USB connections that are already there under the middle arm rest. I was wandering if anyone has a good recommendation of a unit that might accommodate this, i have currently been looking at possibly a pioneer system not bothered if this is a single or double din unit. Probably better looking at a single din as not to have to mess around with other controls on the centre console.
Any help offered much appreciated and thanks in advance.

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: failing display

Post by stevesurrey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:40 am

The display issue is a known problem albeit not that common.

viewtopic.php?t=48960
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:49 am

You can get replacement displays fitted but it’s easier to replace the unit.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

sk3pt1cal

Post by sk3pt1cal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:08 pm

cheers guys, believe i am going to just swap it out.
Any issues i should be wary of like.
I was looking like i say at maybe a pioneer unit with the ability to still use the steering controls as they are there.
maybe something like this: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... ge-nosto-2
and the required adapter cables and faceplate.

sk3pt1cal

Post by sk3pt1cal » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 am

Just wondered if anyone knows what sort of price a new pro unit costs also.

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=102961&hilit=Express

You could try fixing yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=103852
I've not done one myself, but if you do get new, and dont want the old failing one, would you let me have it (for postage) to have a go (just for fun). If it works and resells, then any profits to charity. Just a thought if it'll go to waste.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

sk3pt1cal

Post by sk3pt1cal » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:48 pm

cheers mate thats great info. and sure if i swap it out i can send it to you. will PM you if i do.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”