A little guide: complete CIC retrofit in my e81 (combox p.2)

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

awt
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

A little guide: complete CIC retrofit in my e81 (combox p.2)

Post by awt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:50 pm

I've posted this earlier, but then it was in norwegian.

I did a full CIC retrofit in my e81 a couple of weeks ago, and here's my "story". My english is not that good I'm afraid, but I'll try my best.

The pictures are mainly taken with my iPhone, so the quality isn't the best.

This is an '08 116i 3-door with business radio from factory, and no CD-changer, bluetooth, enhanced audio system etc. I did however have aux-input which was standard and automatic climate control.

The e81 does also have the storage compartment on top of the dash as a standard.

Since this is an '08 it would have been delivered with the 6,5" flip up-screen if it was equipped with iDrive from factory:

I'm sure the flip-up screen does it's job, but it's starting to get a bit old, so I'd never consider anything other than the CIC with a fixed 8,8" screen.

My homemade to do-list was this:
  • Change the center console with one made for iDrive control
  • Change the top storage bin with the screen
  • Move the climate panel where the CD player used to sit, and mount a few new bezels.
  • Make and connect a few cables
First thing I did was to remove the center console. I found a DIY which made the job quite easy.

Before:

During:

After taking the console out, I moved over the arm rest, trim and other bits and pieces from the old and over to the new console.

Afterwards, the CD-player, climate control panel, the buttons for seat heating and the top storage bin removed.

The next step was to install the cables for the screen. The screen requires a signal cable from the CIC, and a combined signal and power cable from the car. The pins to the power/signal-cable is free in a plug behind the glovebox.
Afterwards the screen was mounted on its place.

Then I mounted the wires to the iDrive controller. Since the car didn't have factory mounted iDrive, I had to make this cable as well. The correct socket for this is very hard to reach without taking the dash apart, so I connected it to the same source as the screen, as it barely uses any power. The minus/earth was connected to one of the mountings for the center console, as I didn't want to cut into any of the originally wires of the car. The other brown wire is for the FSC bypass module.

The last two wires for the iDrive controller connects behind the CIC computer.

The CIC uses the same connector as the business CD player, so the only thong that's needed here is to mount the FSC bypass module. It's possible to buy FSC codes from BMW instead of this module, but they cost a lot more.

Bypass module:

I also had to connect a GPS antenna.

After all this the only thing left was to mount the CIC back in the dash, I thought. :(

In my process of planning this, I missed a very small detail. The dashboard on cars with iDrive is not the same as cars without. Even if they have the top storage bin. The difference is the mountings for the CD player/iDrive computer.

After discovering this I actually started to reverse the whole job, but after looking a bit more, I decided to give it a try. I cut away a few plastic bits from the dash, and after a while the CIC computer was on it's place. :)

Test startup:

I'm not living in Berlin. :)

When everything was up and running, I made some brackets for the climate panel, and everything's done! The marks is just fingermarks.

Because of this, the fitment is not quite 100%, but it's not far away.

I may change the dash in the future if I'm getting one cheap, but I'll se.

Next thing was to mount back the center console and then code the car.

The result:

I've ordered combox and a full Harman/Kardon system for my next project :)
Last edited by awt on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbitstew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: A little guide: complete CIC retrofit in my e81

Post by rabbitstew » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm

How do you code it to the car?

Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Wibbles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Brilliant work!

I've just retrofitted the combox & smartphone integration & the extra functionality it gives with the BMW apps is superb.

Harman Kardon is next on my list.
F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Good job) I'd like to do that as the ccc system is poor

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

awt
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by awt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 pm

rabbitstew wrote:How do you code it to the car?
I use a very common program called NCSexpert.
Wibbles wrote:Brilliant work!

Harman Kardon is next on my list.
Feel free to make a thread about the process. :)
rob180bhp wrote:Good job) I'd like to do that as the ccc system is poor
Go for it! :D

rabbitstew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rabbitstew » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 pm

awt wrote:
rabbitstew wrote:How do you code it to the car?
I use a very common program called NCSexpert.
Cheers! Looks good!

SamM118dSE
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by SamM118dSE » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Looks great! The CIC system is a thing of beauty!
BMW 118d SE (09) Metallic Montego Blue, Comfort Package, iDrive, Professional Navigation, BMW Hi-Fi Upgrade package, Sunroof, Cruise Control, Rear PDC, Leather Sports Steering Wheel, iPod integration (USB, Aux & Y-Cable)

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Very well done mate! I assume the FSC bypass means you can update the maps whenever you like?

Skiddy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Skiddy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Thats a great job :thumbs:

awt
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by awt » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:47 pm

rob-the-viking wrote:Very well done mate! I assume the FSC bypass means you can update the maps whenever you like?
No, the FSC bypass allows me to use the navigation without buying an expensive activation code. Without this the "navigation" choice is greyed out in the iDrive.

To update maps I still have to buy FCS codes for this. However, you can get these for around €50 on forums.

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:13 pm

First up - apologies to awt for highjacking his thread (but why start another one on the same thing), but also acknowledgements to awt for assistance with this.

Here's the details of my retrofit.

Interior after (USB sockets in glove box and under armrest not shown)
That's a Brodit mount for my TomTom clipped to the vents - essential for spamcam locations as they as not currently on CIC maps

All the parts that were removed from my car

And the full parts list and cost from Peter :-
dash
centre console
idrive trim
heater trim
DAB upgrade (my 'kit' contained a non-DAB main unit, upgraded to DAB version obtained by Peter)
DAB ariel (not BMW, actually better)
GPS ariel base
GPS/DAB ariel (antenna?)
2 coax cables (err..... Audi ...better quality and length than BMW)
USB AUX socket
Combox (replaces MULF2)
BMW online activation
CIC emulator (essential to frig map updates)
Satnav map update
Combox connector
USB cable
Clips for idrive controller
AUX cable
labour (£600 all inc.)

Total bill from Peter (includes labour and VAT) - £2814.04

Plus the CIC/pro-nav kit from Ebay (naviprof) - screen/main unit/controller/USB glovebox socket/2 cables - £920

Plus fuel to Peter's and back (twice) and overnight stops.

The OEM build utilises the DAB antenna built into the rear screen but ...... although my car has the same screen, it doesn't have the connectors to the antenna and they are not available without a replacement screen so an aftermarket solution was used. It's barely visible (too dark now to take a picture) and apart from a very small line is all concealed within the top of the windscreen and rain sensor area. Tests proved that this solution actually works better than OEM. :)

All works but ..... my current phone (HTC 7 Trophy) sadly does not support internet tethering :( , so I need to source a Windows phone that does. Internet functions worked fine on Peter's iphone and Blackberry (no chance of me getting either of those).

Overall .... it's brilliant, but the price would probably put most people off.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

awt
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

A little guide: complete CIC retrofit in my e81

Post by awt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 pm

redwizard wrote:First up - apologies to awt for highjacking his thread (but why start another one on the same thing), but also acknowledgements to awt for assistance with this.
No need to apoligize, it's just fun to see other people do the same crazy stuff. :D

However, I must say you have spent a lot of money on this, actualy about four times the amount I used. I haven't changed the dash, as well as I don't have any DAB, but still.

RichCranney

Post by RichCranney » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Barrie, does yours not have Internet in the CIC kit itself then? For things like BMW connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 pm

I wanted the DAB but my CIC doesn't have it fitted, so it would require a new head unit. The BMW web radio app + Three unlimited internet = WIN & many more radio stations than DAB anyway.

I'd still like the DAB though... :lol:
F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 am

RichCranney wrote:Barrie, does yours not have Internet in the CIC kit itself then? For things like BMW connected?
Mine uses the internet from a paired phone, which is fine as I didn't want the hassle of a separate SIM card and account.
Wibbles wrote:I wanted the DAB but my CIC doesn't have it fitted, so it would require a new head unit. The BMW web radio app + Three unlimited internet = WIN & many more radio stations than DAB anyway.

I'd still like the DAB though... :lol:
The DAB is built into the CIC unit and these units are extremely rare (used), so I took the opportunity. This particular one came out of a 3-series. DAB CIC units have 2 extra fakra connectors (for the 2 versions of DAB).

To pick up DAB you need the diversity aerial (which is in the base of the roof aerial and also has the GPS antenna, so I needed that part anyway) and the DAB antenna. The antenna is built into the rear screen, but my car doesn't have the connector block and that part is not available separately (all 1-series replacement screens come with them, though). It's hardy practical prising a rear screen off a scrapped car so the alternative solution (which works better) was used instead.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”