iPod- what are my options?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

texasjohn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by texasjohn » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:43 am

Amanda, did your USB port come with a free cable or did you have to buy the cable separately?

Also, you did well choosing CD prep for future expansion, I wish I had now, but not to worry as I got an iPod for Christmas 8) so I cancelled CD Prep and changed my order to invlude the USB.

Back to your CD prep. I have (perhaps) just what you need, and the reason why I ordered CD Prep initially: Alpine CHA-S634. It is a 6 disc changer BUT it plays MP3, so you can reckon on 4 gigs of data, or thereabouts.

If you are interested then let me know, I had it fitted in my BMW E46, it is a direct form and fit replacement for the BMW unit. In fact, some say it is the BMW unit but in a different colour with Alpine logos on it!

It comes with an adaptor (called a 'soundlinx box' IIRC) which allows the BMW audiobus to communicate with the Alpine AI net bus.

Anyway, this isn't a sales pitch, I will ebay it when I get round to it if no-one here wants it.

Back to my first question, can you let me know if the cable came with the car, did the dealer call you to check which cable you needed, and finally do you know if the new IPod touch works with this USB?

TIA John :)
BMW 335i SE N55

tminal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tminal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:45 am

texasjohn wrote:Amanda, did your USB port come with a free cable or did you have to buy the cable separately?Back to my first question, can you let me know if the cable came with the car, did the dealer call you to check which cable you needed?
Sorry to but in........

You do get a free lead but it does not connect to the iPod, it is a USB extension lead if anything. The BMW iPod lead which allows you to play DRM tracks and control the iPod through the steering wheel will need to be purchased seperately and is available from the parts department for £39.99.

There is a thread somewhere with the part number on it.
Mercedes C220 Sport - Tenorite Grey
Gone....
Citroen DS4 115Hdi DStyle - Polar White
Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.6JDTm Distinctive - Etna Black
BMW 118i SE 3 door - Alpine White
BMW 116i SE 5 door - Black

tminal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tminal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:47 am

Mercedes C220 Sport - Tenorite Grey
Gone....
Citroen DS4 115Hdi DStyle - Polar White
Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.6JDTm Distinctive - Etna Black
BMW 118i SE 3 door - Alpine White
BMW 116i SE 5 door - Black

texasjohn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by texasjohn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks Tony, I will probably go pick the BMW one up a few days before delivery day (no date yet!)
BMW 335i SE N55

kiforrest
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kiforrest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 pm

raygbmw1 wrote:Sorry for the huge delay, been on holiday :lol:.

First my car - 120i with professional radio without navigation and no CDChn. It has CDC prep.

I fitted the dension gateway 500 in the CDC compartment at the back just to see if it will work. The optical cable fitted straight into the back of the Gateway. I sourced the 12volt from the wires that are bundled with the CDC prep optical cable. I used a voltmeter to check this.

When I turned on the car the gateway 500 connected to the ipod worked. The ipod screen shows a splash screen with the gateway firmware. However, the car radio does not sense the new connection. I think I will need the car programed to work with a CDC before I can use my ipod.

Unfortunately, I can't have the car programmed until the middle of Feb due to work commitments. I will keep you posted.
Yep, car has to be coded for a CD changer.

Hoping to order mine (Dension) at the end of the month. What colour cables were positive and negative from the CD loom? Keep us posted on progress 8)

Thanks
2006 BMW 130i-Bluetooth, Elec Mem Heated Leather Seats, Elec Folding mem mirrors, Sports Suspension & Seats, Voice Control, Xenons, Adaptive Lights, Logic 7 Hi-Fi, Leather, Elec Lumbar, Nav Pro, V Spoke 18" Rims

dubbers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: iPod- what are my options?

Post by dubbers » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Just found this on 'tnet. Original BM Part 65 41 0404761 for iPod retrofit, ONLY £57 ex vat. Might even have a go at this myself, seeing the my local dealer wanted to relieve me of £299 for the same kit.

Link to BM Mini Parts
09 E83 X3 2.0d Xdrive SE - Sold
07 B7 RS4 Avant
09 E92 Alpina D3 Biturbo - Sold

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 am

dubbers wrote:Just found this on 'tnet. Original BM Part 65 41 0404761 for iPod retrofit, ONLY £57 ex vat. Might even have a go at this myself, seeing the my local dealer wanted to relieve me of £299 for the same kit.

Link to BM Mini Parts
Does anyone have any Idea of the complexity of the install, and whether a recode is required? as that price is tempting.

Edit.

Found some fitting instructions and it appears this retrofit for the business head unit does not require a recode.

Rephlex
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Rephlex » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 pm

OK so am I right in thinking that this is not compatible with an '05 pre-FL car fitted with Professioanl Satnav and multifunction steering wheel?

RealOEM - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... fg=95&hl=2

'05 130i M Sport 5dr with Birds, Hartge, AP Racing and Quaife goodies

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:43 pm

Rephlex wrote:OK so am I right in thinking that this is not compatible with an '05 pre-FL car fitted with Professioanl Satnav and multifunction steering wheel?

RealOEM - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... fg=95&hl=2
That kit linked only fits the Business Head Unit. and it has me in a quandry. I wanted to update my unit to pro, and also add a USB retro fit kit, but now I have to decide one or the other.

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 pm

dubbers wrote:Just found this on 'tnet. Original BM Part 65 41 0404761 for iPod retrofit, ONLY £57 ex vat. Might even have a go at this myself, seeing the my local dealer wanted to relieve me of £299 for the same kit.

Link to BM Mini Parts
Further research on that kit seems to indicate this is the old USB/Ipod kit. This one has the a display unit to attach to the dash, the later kit will display the track details on the head unit display....

It's all so complicated.. :?

thatsit

Post by thatsit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:55 am

AndyS wrote:

Link to BM Mini Parts
Further research on that kit seems to indicate this is the old USB/Ipod kit. This one has the a display unit to attach to the dash, the later kit will display the track details on the head unit display....

It's all so complicated.. :?
will this link to the business unit , has anyone got one of these and has a picture ?

Also it was mentioned at the top of the thread using an aux port you get a better sound, not using the headphone socked on the ipod , but the line in thingy .... can anyone tell me what convertor or cable i need. I orginaly got a 0.5 metre phono lead. Not tried it yet , but not sure if it will be long enough.

showstopper
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by showstopper » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:45 am

Can anyone update the links please some of them dont work anymore.

sam120d

Post by sam120d » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:15 pm

I've just received this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6576wt_911
and it works fine with my iPhone 4 through the 6FL USB port. A significant saving over the BMW one!

stefan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by stefan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:36 pm

I just have my iPhone 3GS through the aux. With the 3GS and 4 you get voice control just by holding the button for a few seconds so this gives you voice dialing, skip tracks, play album and more, plus auto muting. I find it's a very effective, free pption if you have iPhone 3 gs

Nealcon

Post by Nealcon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:06 am

Hi all,

Does the duel USB/Aux cable come with the Car or so you have to buy it separately? Have a 1er on order and would like to be aboe to use the iPod or iPhone through pro stereo abd access it through the stearing controls.

Many thanks,

Neal:)
118d M-Sport Coupe

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”