iPod- what are my options?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Falmouthboy
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: iPod- what are my options?

Post by Falmouthboy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:24 am

For info to assist anyone who buys a car fitted with with the glovebox lead linking to the cd changer who finds that it will play, but won't charge their Gen 4 or later Nano, Touch or iPhone, or who buys one of the later ipods and finds it will no longer charge. You can buy a plug in in line adaptor for £25 from an iPod shop that will make your later generation pod fully functional again.
Current: Half an M135i, Volvo V50 SE D4
Previous: Z4 2.0 M Sport, 123d M Sport 5 Door, 320i Edition SE Touring, 130i MSport LE, 330d SE Touring, Mini Coupe JCW

chilled
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by chilled » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Just got my new car with BMW professional, HK and usb interface. I also bought the £40 y-cable.

After a quick test of Ipod using both cables and just plugging in a usb stick with the same MP3's on them, I'd recommend spending that £40 on a 32Gb USB stick. The sound quality is noticeably better when the stereo interprets the MP3's directly than using an aux out from the iPod. It also means you can just leave that stick in the car hidden under the armrest (assuming you have an armrest)

Gibbson

Post by Gibbson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey I have iPod Shuffle which is doing a great job with its USB connector. I just put it in the player and it starts playing.

choosethedrew

Post by choosethedrew » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1 series 57 plate with a business single CD player and no CD changer in the boot.

I am being told by some dealers that an retrofitted iPod interface is compatible, others that it is not (predictably, the cheapest one)

Can anyone shed some light on this frustrating scenario?

Thank you

andyml73

Post by andyml73 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Just done a quick google search, Alpine seem to do a neat piece of kit...

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/pro ... ex-10.html

Anyone use one of these?

thanks

Andy

(120d 57 of only two weeks, loving it so far)
120d SE 57 plate, prof HU

mrash

Post by mrash » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 pm

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -23165.htm

bargain price here....Personally, I think it would clutter the car dash a bit.
I never wanted to believe that my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.

Dela
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dela » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32 pm

I have installed a TomTom iphone 4 navi cradle just next to the gear lever.

My phone is always within reach, AUX is hooked up to the cradle, charging on the go and there's a speaker/mic built in to the cradle.

Complete hands free.

The phone hooks up to the cradle with blue tooth, so a BT headset can be used too.

Navigon or TomTom software works flawless with the cradle!!

Check the DIY here: http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23437

liffy99
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by liffy99 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 am

Confusing isn't it !
What would really help is for people to state what model 1er they have when giving options (e.g pre or post facelift, Business / Professional set up etc.
I'm really interested in the USB data stick option - does this simply plug into a USB interface and then tracks are wholly controlled by the 1er ? I don't really need / want an IPod.
And is a USB interface available on a pre-facelift (I'm close to buying a 2006 130i MSport) - if not can it be retro-fitted ?
And what file format does the 1er support ? I presume MP3 but will it recognise Apple's AAC or ALAC or better still the Open Source standard FLAC ?

So many options, so little clarity . .. . . .

rocolin

Post by rocolin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:19 am

:Dthanks for sharing

Diesel
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Diesel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Dela wrote:I have installed a TomTom iphone 4 navi cradle just next to the gear lever.

My phone is always within reach, AUX is hooked up to the cradle, charging on the go and there's a speaker/mic built in to the cradle.

Complete hands free.

The phone hooks up to the cradle with blue tooth, so a BT headset can be used too.

Navigon or TomTom software works flawless with the cradle!!

Check the DIY here: http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23437

Here is what I do, it works very well

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24429

LewisE81

Post by LewisE81 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 pm

I have 2008 e81 with just the business head unit. I contacted my local dealer who has advised I can fit the iPod retrofit kit to my car. He sent me through the docs for it and it looks like it's fitted in the glove box, with an iPod connection lead through the left side and a USB connected on the right side.

If it's any use to anyone I could pm the PDF I was sent regarding the install? (Assuming you could pm a PDF? I'm pretty new to the forum :P)

Cheers, Lewis

Matthaus
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matthaus » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:47 pm

chilled wrote:Just got my new car with BMW professional, HK and usb interface. I also bought the £40 y-cable.

After a quick test of Ipod using both cables and just plugging in a usb stick with the same MP3's on them, I'd recommend spending that £40 on a 32Gb USB stick. The sound quality is noticeably better when the stereo interprets the MP3's directly than using an aux out from the iPod. It also means you can just leave that stick in the car hidden under the armrest (assuming you have an armrest)

I do not understand the need for a Y cable? when an iPod plays direct with the USB in anycase. Using a Y cable REDUCES the quality of the sound.

Having said that I may well go down the 32GB stick route for two main reasons:

1 Faster loading than my iPod classic in the car
2 No frigging about with itunes
BMW 135i Coupe - Sold
BMW M240i Coupe - Finally arrived!

markfranklin

Post by markfranklin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:23 am

I have a 123d on a 58 plate (with Pro head unit) and recently forked out to have the iPod lead fitted having seen one working in a demo car.

However – warning – the full iPod integration is only viable on the very latest models. The one I saw working on exactly the same head unit as mine let you bring up an alphabetical list A-Z on the display. From here you could pick “E” for Elton John for example, and then see a list of his albums you have, and then select the one you want (much the same as operating the iPod conventionally).

However the version of integration I have been given, which is the best available for the age of my car, basically links the iPod as a CD-changer and your options are the CD "trays", eg:

If you want to search by Artist, you pick "CD2"
If you want to search by Genre, you pick "CD4", etc.

However, if you select by Artist, let's use Elton John as an example again and you have 15 of his albums on the unit. When you pick Elton John, instead of getting a list of the 15 albums, you get a full list of all the songs from all the albums, jumbled together in one long alphabetical list.

The same goes with Genre, if you select "Classical" all you get is an A-Z of every track across all recordings that match the genre. I checked the user guide and indeed this is how it is intended to work.

The one option I use is CD3 (“Albums”) so at least you can actually have an A-Z of your albums by name and listen to them normally. Note however the list is vertical and with only a 2-line display it can take a very long time indeed to reach ZZTop – Best Of.

Another added issue is that with quite a few albums loaded on the iPod, the unit takes a couple of minutes to bring up these lists. It mentions this in the guide. So every time you get in the car and want to pick something else to listen to, you press a button and have to wait ages before you get the list of your music.

Furthermore, the input volume level is so much lower than the radio/CD, that when you navigate away from the iPod, you get your ears literally blown off as the volume otherwise is about concert-level.

Another limitation is track position. On the Pro head unit, when you listen to a CD, it has an interesting “feature” whereby it loses the memory of where you were in a track after the engine has been turned off for a few minutes. Hence when you restart the engine, your song plays from the start again.

Now, with this version of iPod integration, the head unit recognises the iPod as a CD changer and hence it has the same issue (in fact, the unit seems to forget the position as soon as you turn off the ignition. With the CD player, at least it does remember the position for about 10 minutes, so you could stop for petrol and resume your song, audiobook or podcast). With the iPod in the more modern integration setup, it identifies the device as an iPod and hence the iPod remembers the position.

Cost of this installation was £400 and I gather this is how the Dension Gateway works too, so please do some extensive research and ask a lot of direct questions to your dealer/fitter before you spend this sort of cash.

chall5
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chall5 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 pm

thanks for the write up, £400 for that level of functionality doesn't sound like value for money to me. I am surprised that by 2008 they hadn't got this kind of thing nailed, seems I need a newer car to get the proper experience

At the moment I am just using a 3.5mm > dock connector for my iPod

Jet Silver
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jet Silver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 pm

I wasnt going to pay BMWs extorniate prices for USB but i did get MP3 functionalty
for a fraction of the price £4.70 to be exact i bought these.......

:lol:
BMW 120D M-Sport Coupe.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”