iPod- what are my options?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

spl23
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: iPod- what are my options?

Post by spl23 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:56 pm

markfranklin wrote:The one option I use is CD3 (“Albums”) so at least you can actually have an A-Z of your albums by name and listen to them normally. Note however the list is vertical and with only a 2-line display it can take a very long time indeed to reach ZZTop – Best Of.
Out of interest, have they fixed the 255 item limit? On the version of the iPod interface I had fitted to my 1er when I bough it in 2006, the browsing is as you describe, but there is a nasty catch that you can only see up to 255 items in each category - so 255 artists, 255 albums, 255 playlists etc. I have 255 artists exactly on my iPod, so I can use that menu option fine, but I have well over 1000 albums, so the albums menu only shows the first 255 of them, and is therefore basically useless.

Also, there is a 16,000 song limit on the interface I have - probably not an issue for most people, but I have a pretty much full 160GB iPod classic, and I have to keep the number of songs I sync to it down as a result. The trouble with this is that in the Playlist menu, the first playlist is "all songs", and the 16,000 song limit applies across a category; so if you have 15,000 songs on your iPod, you can only have 1000 of them in playlists before you hit this limit in that menu.
2015 F20 LCI 125i

markfranklin

Post by markfranklin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:15 am

The iPod I bought to use with this adapter is a Nano with a small memory in comparison to your 160GB device. Hence I haven't got anywhere near 255 albums on the unit.

However, in the user guide very clearly states that there is a 255 entry limitation in each 'list', so I would strongly suggest that this kit is precisely the same as the version you describe.

And on that basis, I would imagine that it applies to the 'All Songs' playlist in CD1 folder.

Rick Draper
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rick Draper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Can anyone confirm on the latest 1's the BMW Y cable is still needed to use a iPod via the USB port?

chall5
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chall5 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:07 pm

anyone had the iPod kit fitted to their 2008 with iDrive ? If so I'd be interested to see a video of how it works

This is the one I mean

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:51 am

Does the Harman Kardon fitted to the 2012 models offer a simple aux-in capability via a 3.5mm stereo connector?

markfranklin

Post by markfranklin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:51 am

chall5 - if you see a few posts back, I wrote quite a lengthy piece about how this interface works with my 58 plate 123d (non-iDrive).

For this age of car, the integration interface will seem to work in exactly the same way, whether iDrive or not. I looked in the user guide book for you, and there is indeed a separate section detailing what you see / what buttons you press and so on for iDrive - but the actual usability and functionality would appear to be identical to non iDrive. You won't be getting anything more intuitive or comprehensive I'm afraid.

chall5
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chall5 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to leave this, according to a quote I got from Cotswold it's gonna be £243 just for the parts and even though I think my experience would be slightly better than yours as I have the iDrive screen I may well hit the 255 album limit and I'm sure the slowness would irk me. I'll just stick with the AUX in for the moment

markfranklin

Post by markfranklin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Sounds like a sensible decision. Having used this for a couple of months, I would say yes it does come in useful sometimes, but on balance given the cost I would have been better sticking with just my CD player and putting 10 albums at a time onto CDs in mp3 files.

Incidentally, sometimes it fails to connect to the iPod and says "CD Error". You then have to re-boot the iPod (which is frozen) and reconnect, meaning you have lost what album you were last listening to anyway. I have experimented and cannot get the iPod to fail when it is NOT connected to the car.

Spud1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Spud1 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:39 pm

It's probably worth updating this thread to cover the F20 now - particularly as we're starting to see the E series phased out over the next few years, and those of us with F20's are growing in number ;D

The main change as I can see it is that if you specify the Enhanced Bluetooth option (6NK), you can use your iPhone/iPod with the standard Apple Cable - no BMW Y-cable required :)

The downside is that this doesn't appear to work with my old iPod 4g (pushing 8 years old now and still going strong!) - the iPod says connected but the car just ignores it :( It works great with any of the iOS based iPods though, and i'll try with a "classic" model this weekend when I visit my parents. I'll end up just using my work iphone for it though I think, it works well with track browsing, album art, voice control..really nice. Hopefully BMW will release a snap-in adaptor for the iPhone 5 when it's released..will get that then too. Anyway going a bit OT..

the "standard" F20's still only seem to work via the Y-Cable though, so it appears that 6NK is required - it's an expensive option but it's the best way to get good sound quality from your iPod.

125i-ross
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 125i-ross » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:18 am

So what cable do i need to use for the ipod line out to aux? Would any major highstreet shops sell them?

The link in the first post is dead :(

DB118D
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DB118D » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:44 pm

125i-ross wrote:So what cable do i need to use for the ipod line out to aux? Would any major highstreet shops sell them?

The link in the first post is dead :(
Is it not just. 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo jack cable?
2010 E87 118d Sport
Alpine White
Factory Xenons
Privacy Glass
Rear PDC
Auto Wipers
Auto Lamps
Pro HU
Mods: Stubby Aerial, Silvatec bulbs

Falmouthboy

Post by Falmouthboy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:48 am

To just get music from an iPod (or any other music player for that matter) yes, any lead with a 3.5mm jack plug on each end. However for full control of your iPod you need a car with USB and a generic splitter cable that runs of the connection at the bottom of the iPod.
Current: Half an M135i, Volvo V50 SE D4
Previous: Z4 2.0 M Sport, 123d M Sport 5 Door, 320i Edition SE Touring, 130i MSport LE, 330d SE Touring, Mini Coupe JCW

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Mon May 06, 2013 11:02 am

You can use the iPod line out (part of the multi pin connector on the bottom) rather than the headphone jack, its a better quality feed and if you gat the right lead, can also charge the iPod at the same time. They're just generic iPod Y leads with aux plug and USB connector, you can get them on Amazon or EBay for under a fiver

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interface-Conne ... Pod+y+lead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just plug the aux into the cars aux port and the USB port into a 12v USB car charger or if you want a more integrated look, my install here uses the same basic idea but hides it all
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M444GHE

Post by M444GHE » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Ive just got a new E82 what cable do i need for my ipod to work the standard ipod one doesnt work and i have an iphone 5 and the new ipod touch,do bmw sell a compatible cable for the newer iphone's/ipods ?

stokedrich

Post by stokedrich » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 pm

As a newbie, so new that I haven't even picked up my 07 (facelift £30 a year tax) 118d SE yet (2 sleeps) I just wanted to say thanks for all the info about iPhone connectivity. I have an iPhone 5 and playing my tunes through the audio is a big priority for me so the guide has been a god send and has also prevented an unnecessary thread. Nice work and thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”