USB Port Product guide

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

m6569
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: USB Port Product guide

Post by m6569 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:29 pm

most USB 2.5" drives need more power than is available from a single USB port.

I have a 2.5" USB drive that takes a single USB cable and a separate 5v input (use a transformer in the cig lighter) that might do the job, but I no longer have the 1er so can't test it...It might be a bit bulky though.
His: Honda Civic SE plus-t with a thimble for a fuel tank.
Hers: White 320d sport. No mods yet...

iainmcd

Post by iainmcd » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:21 pm

I apologies if this is covered somewhere else in the forums as I am new to the group.

I plan on ordering my 118d with the USB option, and will use a simple USB Stick.

What file types will it support? Is it only MP3 or can I also use WMA files?

Thanks,

Iain.
Arrived : 118d M Sport 5-door, Le Mans Blue, 208M 18" Alloys, Comfort Package, Comfort Access, Cruise Control, BMW Professional Radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeakers, USB Interface

Martin H. Mortensen
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Martin H. Mortensen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:31 pm

iainmcd wrote:I apologies if this is covered somewhere else in the forums as I am new to the group.

I plan on ordering my 118d with the USB option, and will use a simple USB Stick.

What file types will it support? Is it only MP3 or can I also use WMA files?

Thanks,

Iain.
Read the first post under this topic, it has all the answers you need about the USB options, hence the topic subject..

:)
BMW 118d Adv Auto. Van 08' Alpine Weiss:
With: Comfort access, Sunroof, Seat heating, Adaptive Xenon, Air conditioning automatic, Alarm,
USB, iDrive Pro, BT, Anthracite headlining, Tinted, Pearl-point, 18" M5, Webasto with SMS, Dynamic+Comfort

knowley
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by knowley » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Is it ok to leave an ipod nano plugged in 24/7 when the car is running/not running?

Does the USB have a permenant power supply; I could I flatten the battery?
And does any sort of power surge occur when the car is started?

Thanks!
Le Mans Blue N54 135i | Heated Boston Lemon Leather | Cruise Control | Prof. Nav | BMWP SS | Xenons | USB

tminal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tminal » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:18 pm

knowley wrote:Is it ok to leave an ipod nano plugged in 24/7 when the car is running/not running?

Does the USB have a permenant power supply; I could I flatten the battery?
And does any sort of power surge occur when the car is started?

Thanks!
I used to leave mine in 24/7 and had no issues but now I remove it to be on the safe side! As far as I am aware there is no permanant power supply as it will only stay on for around 15 minutes and then shutdown like your HU.
Mercedes C220 Sport - Tenorite Grey
Gone....
Citroen DS4 115Hdi DStyle - Polar White
Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.6JDTm Distinctive - Etna Black
BMW 118i SE 3 door - Alpine White
BMW 116i SE 5 door - Black

Roaders

Post by Roaders » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:41 am

Hi all

Some of you might recognise me from back in the day when I had a 1 series...

I've had a couple of Z4 in the last 3 or so years and I'll be getting a sensible 3 series (M3 with M-DCT) next year.

I'm really excited by how far the iDrive / hifi system has come since I had my 1 series. I really liked Idrive then but the current Nav system is way ahead, the new nav system coming at the end of this year is even better.

I'm pleased BMW are adding a Hard drive to the car that you can rip music to - but it's only 8GB which seems crazy to me.
Storage is so cheap why not put in a 500GB drive or more so there is more room for music (I think that the drive is actually much bigger than 8GB but the rest of the room is used for maps).

Anyway, one of the other interesting new features is the USB port. At the moment I have a dension unit that I connect to my iPod. I don't really like the iPod. At home I use Windows home server and have a windows media center in the bedroom and Living room. I have itunes only for syncing my iPod and have to copy rating across between Media Player and iTunes. It's all a bit of a pain.
I'm hoping with the USB port I can just get rid of the iPod and use a usb drive and sync that directly with my music collection.

I have a few questions which I hope someone can answer

What's the biggest usb drive that people have connected? MY music collection is approaching 60 GB so I would want all of that on my drive.

The article above says not to connect hard drives. I have a 80 GB drive that inly requires a usb connection (no power supply). Would this work ok? Has anyone tried this?

Do Windows Media Player play lists work?

Do windows media player ratings work?

For example my favorite play list is top rated - anything with 4 or more stars. Would this work?

If I have to carry on using the iPod then so be it. The car interface is fantastic so it'll still be an excellent system. I'll just still have the hassle syncing it.

Thanks

russed
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by russed » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi,

I have just collected my 1er today :D but I cant get my iPod touch to work with it - it just says error when I try to get it to work.

I am using a standard ipod lead (not the BMW 'y' one) and my ipod touch is a 32gb synced with a mac. All it is doing is charging my ipod.

Is there anything I am doing wrong or do I just have to buy the lead (is it really £40!!!)?
11 118d M-Sport Coupe, Space grey + leather heated seats + 18" wheels + comfort pack + bluetooth + USB
GONE: 58 116i M-Sport 3 door, Le Mans Blue + comfort pack + bluetooth + USB

All the ducks are swimming in the water...

m6569
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by m6569 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Don't worry you're not doing anything wrong but you will need the £40 lead - sorry.

Any Mac formatted iPod can't be read by the pro HU, even if it's set to disk usage.

russed
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by russed » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:33 pm

m6569 wrote:Don't worry you're not doing anything wrong but you will need the £40 lead - sorry.

Any Mac formatted iPod can't be read by the pro HU, even if it's set to disk usage.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Right i'll have to go and find a dealer tomorrow (any excuse for a drive!)

So NO mac formatted ipod's can be read? Bummer if thats the case!! I have an irrational hatred of windows based pc's! - does this only apply if used as a hard drive (like I am doing at present), or even with the special cable?
11 118d M-Sport Coupe, Space grey + leather heated seats + 18" wheels + comfort pack + bluetooth + USB

m6569
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by m6569 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:05 pm

russed wrote: I have an irrational hatred of windows based pc's! - does this only apply if used as a hard drive
No, you should have an irrational hatred of windows regardless of usage!

If you use the iPod as an iPod the special cable will work fine, but if you want to use it as a disk drive it'll need to be formatted to FAT32 and you can use the standard USB cable that came with your iPod

russed
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by russed » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:11 pm

m6569 wrote:
russed wrote: I have an irrational hatred of windows based pc's! - does this only apply if used as a hard drive
No, you should have an irrational hatred of windows regardless of usage!

If you use the iPod as an iPod the special cable will work fine, but if you want to use it as a disk drive it'll need to be formatted to FAT32 and you can use the standard USB cable that came with your iPod
Excellent! I will go to buy the cable tomorrow then! I was getting slightly worried for a moment that I had bought it and prob would just end up using the aux input!

Scampy

Post by Scampy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

Can't see where this is covered, now but I remember reading that an 8gb USB stick was about the maximum you could use before the headunit can't handle the data.

However, I have ripped my music at 256kbps (a bit bigger than 128kbps usually set as standard). Does this mean that the song data is half as much and therefore I could probably use a 16gb stick?

Peoples exepriences much appreciated..
Loving my new 123d M Sport Coupe. Alpine White, 18" Alloys, Black Boston Leather, Heated Seats, Lumbar, Cruise, Sunroof, Prof Radio & Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP, USB, Bluetooth, Extended Storage, Rain Sensor. Del Jan '09.

Check out my band @ www.otto-music.com

russed
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by russed » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Unfortunately not! The higher bit rate of your music means that it will sound better, however the size of the file will also be larger.

THe head unit can only take an 8gb hard drive, so by changing the bit rate, all you will get is less (but better sounding) music.

Ratman2050

Post by Ratman2050 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Does anyone know if the 3 series BMW models post 2007 work with iPod Touch 1st Gen's? And to clarify you use the usb charger cord with the ipod and BMW right you don't need any extra adapter?

BeemerBoy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BeemerBoy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:45 pm

you need a special cable from BMW that contains some software, and that connects to your ipod, my ipod touch 1st gen works with my september 07 120D msport
CAR FOR SALE - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ogcode=emf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eibach pro-street coilovers, Evolve map, Yokohama Advan Sport, Milltek Exhaust
Car - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11570&hilit=+120D

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”