USB Port Product guide

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

Scampy

Re: USB Port Product guide

Postby Scampy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:53 am

russed wrote:Unfortunately not! The higher bit rate of your music means that it will sound better, however the size of the file will also be larger.

THe head unit can only take an 8gb hard drive, so by changing the bit rate, all you will get is less (but better sounding) music.

Hi Russed.

Thanks for reply but am I right in thinking the head unit only downloads the song data i.e. information about the songs but not the actual mp3 - in which case if you have less songs on the stick as each is recorded at a higher bit rate there is less song data!

hmmm!
Loving my new 123d M Sport Coupe. Alpine White, 18" Alloys, Black Boston Leather, Heated Seats, Lumbar, Cruise, Sunroof, Prof Radio & Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP, USB, Bluetooth, Extended Storage, Rain Sensor. Del Jan '09.

Check out my band @ www.otto-music.com

theashman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby theashman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 am

Has anyone had any experience of using the USB Interface with the Apple iPhone at all?
118D Edition ES 5Dr Manual, Alpine White (Massif!), Auto Lights & Wipers, Alpine Upgrade Kit
- Wanting the iPod Retrofit/Prof HU/313 Alloys, Remap, Performance Brakes, Performance Exhaust
LS12Style - Affordable and Reliable Website Hosting

wegras
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby wegras » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Yes the iphone and 3G works with the special cable as an ipod but needs to be unplugged for BT to work if I remember correctly .
BMW have just updated their BT compatibility which now includes the 3G .
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bluetooth/ov ... iteID=1312
should explain all ,looks as if the new cable now allows music and BT and old cable is still available
I have been waiting for the 3G snap in so must find out the latest position and price :shock:
X1 2.5d M Sport auto 2013 White / Z4 3.0Si Sport 2007 Auto Monaco Blue
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current

MarkW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby MarkW » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi

Just arranged to purchase a 123d, and tried my Iphone 3G in the USB interface port. It shows up on the Nav screen as 'not supported'. The car has the latest idrive. The Sales guy connected his ipod nano and it worked fine. This was using my regular apple USB lead.

Having checked it out, the sales guy said I would need the BMW lead (what is the difference?), and I would also need to download something from itunes onto my iphone to allow the iphone to play music via USB, and answer calls at the same time (??)

I assume I still have to pair the phone via bluetooth to use the phone functions, but should it work for audio via USB at the same time?

Anyone else had the same issue, or know the solution?

Current: Audi S3 Saloon Monsoon Grey
M135i 3 Door Auto AW
TVR Tamora
Previous: 520D Sophisto Grey
Previous: 123D LMB M-Sport Coupe-Remap
Previous: Z4MC Silver

MarkW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby MarkW » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:18 pm

MarkW wrote:Hi

Just arranged to purchase a 123d, and tried my Iphone 3G in the USB interface port. It shows up on the Nav screen as 'not supported'. The car has the latest idrive. The Sales guy connected his ipod nano and it worked fine. This was using my regular apple USB lead.

Having checked it out, the sales guy said I would need the BMW lead (what is the difference?), and I would also need to download something from itunes onto my iphone to allow the iphone to play music via USB, and answer calls at the same time (??)

I assume I still have to pair the phone via bluetooth to use the phone functions, but should it work for audio via USB at the same time?

Just in case anyone else needs to know, you do need the BMW lead for the Iphone 3G. There is nothing extra you need on the iphone. The lead uses the USB interface AND the AUX-in port to connect to the iphone. RRP is £39.99 :shock: but they threw it in with the car.

Current: Audi S3 Saloon Monsoon Grey
M135i 3 Door Auto AW
TVR Tamora
Previous: 520D Sophisto Grey
Previous: 123D LMB M-Sport Coupe-Remap
Previous: Z4MC Silver

m6569
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby m6569 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:35 pm

MarkW wrote:Hi

you will need the special lead as the iPhone can't be used as a disk (without jail-breaking it) unlike the rest of the iPod line-up.

When I put my iPhone into the dock at home (not connected to the Mac, just the hi-fi) it says that the telphone function will be disabled so it might not work for music and phone at the same time...
His: Honda Civic SE plus-t with a thimble for a fuel tank.
Hers: Black 318i touring, OEM BT retrofit - USB to come, aftermarket tinted windows. Focal 100KRS. Earthquake SWS8s. Audison and JL Audio amps. Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres.

darrenpearce

Postby darrenpearce » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Anybody thinking of getting the USB port (6FL) on the 1 series 2010 onwards????

I have just picked my car up today and it is amazing, the first thing i did was try my USB memory stick in the USB socket, within a couple of seconds i had access to all the contents, i just wanted to let you all know the memory stick im using is a "16GB Supertalent PICO 'E'", as there does seem to be info saying that 8GB is the biggest usable size flash drive, the Audio manual that came with my car also details that the USB interface will download the track information and remember upto 4 USB flash drives and upto 20000 songs.

If anybody would like any further details just ask and i will try and give you an answer.

Cheers Darren

Superman

Postby Superman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm

darrenpearce wrote:Anybody thinking of getting the USB port (6FL) on the 1 series 2010 onwards????

I have just picked my car up today and it is amazing, the first thing i did was try my USB memory stick in the USB socket, within a couple of seconds i had access to all the contents, i just wanted to let you all know the memory stick im using is a "16GB Supertalent PICO 'E'", as there does seem to be info saying that 8GB is the biggest usable size flash drive, the Audio manual that came with my car also details that the USB interface will download the track information and remember upto 4 USB flash drives and upto 20000 songs.

If anybody would like any further details just ask and i will try and give you an answer.

Cheers Darren

Only two weeks ago, I took delivery of a 1 Series Coupé with the UCB port in it. I think it's great as I use a 1GB UCB memory stick with MP3s on. It works a treat.

However, I'm planning to start using my iPod nano in there but haven't tried it in there yet as I need to find the iPod! Hoping that I don't need to buy the Y-lead thing.

mt120

Postby mt120 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Does anyone else find that their memory stick is not recognised if left in the uSB socket following a restart? I'm finding I need to remove the stick from the socket and then replace. It is then detected by the radio.
PS I'm new here.

marklemac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby marklemac » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:42 pm

mt120 wrote:Does anyone else find that their memory stick is not recognised if left in the uSB socket following a restart? I'm finding I need to remove the stick from the socket and then replace. It is then detected by the radio.
PS I'm new here.

Nope, mine is recognised within a few seconds of starting the car.

And I've just sussed out exporting playlists from iTunes to work on the business pro stereo :)
2009 123d M Sport Coupe Auto: Alpine White / 261M's / Bluetooth / Sat Nav / Comfort / Elec Fold Mirrors / USB / Voice / Black Boston Leather / Xenons / Heated Seats / Business Loudspeaker system / :)

mt120

Postby mt120 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 pm

Nope, mine is recognised within a few seconds of starting the car

ty - I Tried a different usb stick and it works fine. Odd that the first stick would work, but needed to be plugged in while the radio was live.

chilled
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby chilled » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm successfully using a 32Gb Stick that I've filled with 320kbps mp3's (about 3000 tracks).

I also have an 160Gb iPod classic and the BMW y-cable as well. But I'd suggest people thinking of spending £40 on the y-cable, just spend it on a USB stick instead. I find the sound quality of the USB is superior to the aux-out of the iPod. I have the Harmon Kardon + BMW Professional CD. YMMV with the business unit though.

csmith319
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby csmith319 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:07 am

Some of this compatibility stuff is weird - I just use the iPOD cable with an old 4th gen ipod, no audio cable and it works great. Took me a while to find the right nav manu for the music (at first could only find one that shows all tracks as a 4 letter combo) but sorted all that now and its perfect.

srhutch
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby srhutch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 am

Is there a random option with USB devices and if so is it all tracks or can you ask to select random albums.

I'm thinking that USB is the way to go but I prefer to listen to random albums which I'm guessing will still work if I use an iPod as I can set this function on the iPod.
5 Door 118d M Sport, Alpine White, 208's, Xenons, Comfort Pack, Bluetooth, USB Audio.
2006 BMW Z4 Image Roadster, Sapphire Black, Imola Red Leather, Nav, BT, Logic 7, PDC

SteveM
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby SteveM » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 am

srhutch wrote:Is there a random option with USB devices and if so is it all tracks or can you ask to select random albums.

I'm thinking that USB is the way to go but I prefer to listen to random albums which I'm guessing will still work if I use an iPod as I can set this function on the iPod.

There is a random option, but it will only select all tracks if you have it set up correctly.......I think!

When I hit the 'Random' button it only plays the tracks randomly within the sub-folder I am listening to, in my case, an album.

All my albums are filed by artist, the artist folders are filed by A-Z. Originally I just threw all of my albums on the stick and plugged it in..........mistake.........taking ten minutes to search for a particular album was useless. Filing them by A-Z seems to suit quick searching, with any given album findable within a few seconds.

To get the 'Random' feature to work with all tracks you will need to add all of your tracks to a playlist on your stick using your PC, then select the playlist when in your car and BINGO!

HTH
ImageImage

Also a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”