USB Music, apple music?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

ollaay

USB Music, apple music?

Post by ollaay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 am

Bought a 128 GB Usb to use in the car, trying to drag the whole library to the memory stick and it just doesn't work. The only option i get is to transfer my iTunes library folder which then doesn't include apple music i have downloaded, does it not let you transfer apple music downloaded songs to a usb? And the older music i have on it isn't made into folders all the options are greyed out apart from scrolling through the songs in a big list, how do you guys do it?

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: USB Music, apple music?

Post by Sonic1506 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:43 am

Pretty sure the car or unit can only handle a maximum number of GB with removable devices.

As for transferring your music, as long as you have the MP3 files you should be able to drop and drop them from your PC to your removable device.

JohnKimble
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by JohnKimble » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:39 am

ollaay wrote: transfer apple music downloaded songs to a usb? And the older music i have on it isn't made into folders all the options are greyed out apart from scrolling through the songs in a big list, how do you guys do it?
You can't copy and paste the music from Apple music because it will be DRM protected i.e. the only way to play it will be on an Apple device (Android soon?) authenticated with your details. Also Sonic is probably right about maximum GB size the car can handle?

Me and a few others are using one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViseeO-WMA3000B ... ne2air+bmw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a good compromise. iPhone automatically connects when I get in the car. You can browse any local music on the phone through the iDrive. Personally I just stream everything from Apple Music - ask Siri for whatever album I want to play, you get tracknames on the iDrive and can skip songs with the steering wheel controls :)
F20 M140i Shadow manual
Was - E81 130i

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:07 pm

JohnKimble wrote:
ollaay wrote: transfer apple music downloaded songs to a usb? And the older music i have on it isn't made into folders all the options are greyed out apart from scrolling through the songs in a big list, how do you guys do it?
You can't copy and paste the music from Apple music because it will be DRM protected i.e. the only way to play it will be on an Apple device (Android soon?) authenticated with your details. Also Sonic is probably right about maximum GB size the car can handle?

Me and a few others are using one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViseeO-WMA3000B ... ne2air+bmw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a good compromise. iPhone automatically connects when I get in the car. You can browse any local music on the phone through the iDrive. Personally I just stream everything from Apple Music - ask Siri for whatever album I want to play, you get tracknames on the iDrive and can skip songs with the steering wheel controls :)
That's what I was trying to get at. Thanks for helping me out there!

I would assume there would be a maximum size supported. My Pioneer Double DIN can take 32GB SD Card but any more and it starts to hang and takes ages to load. If it takes a 32GB USB full of music and a movie, again it hands and takes ages to load.

ollaay

Post by ollaay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Ahh that sucks, can't even connect my iPhone to my car either to control it. Tried using the apple cable and a genuine bmw lightning y cable to my iPhone 6, even a 30 pin usb using my old iPod classic nothing I've tried works!

JohnKimble
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by JohnKimble » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Y cable should work for songs that are on the phone I believe? For iPod Classic you need the Y lead as well unfortunately, but in my experience the cheap eBay ones work fine
F20 M140i Shadow manual
Was - E81 130i

Martinling

Post by Martinling » Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am

Please be well noted that music files in iTunes library are protected by DRM technology, which can't be recognized by USB drive directly. If you would like to transfer Apple Music songs to flash drive, you should break the DRM with apple music converter for mac that can work well on Apple Music files.
Of course, this software can also convert Apple Music M4P to USB compatible formats. So don't wrong the compatibility issue.

ferraris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ferraris » Sat May 19, 2018 5:11 pm

ITunesFusion will sync an iTunes library to a usb stick (but not Apple Music as has been mentioned). I use a 256gb USB stick.
now: F87 M2 in LBB
ex-F21 M140i 3 door in VO
ex-F21 125d M-Sport in VO
ex-Audi TT TDi
ex-123D M-Sport Coupe

Annie Yazbeck

Post by Annie Yazbeck » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Please be well noted that Apple Music files are protected by DRM technology, which can’t be recognized by USB stick directly. In order to put them to USB flash drive, you have to remove DRM from Apple Music with some Apple Music DRM removal tool, such as Apple Music Converter for Windows.

After that, you are able to transfer converted Apple Music to USB freely. As for breaking DRM lock, you can visit this source page: How to Remove DRM from Apple Music.

By the way, this smart software can also put Audible audiobooks and iTunes audiobooks and DRM music files on USB flash drive.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”