Git-r's road/track progress M135i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Git-r's road/track progress M135i

Post by git-r2 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

I took the car to brands again last week and easily clocked a lap time of 56.60 which is a couple of hundredths quicker over the 56.66 it did with fresh MPSS and no lsd.

The LSD made it feel better and made the car
Much more throttle adjustable, lap time wise it might be tiny bit quicker but at brands the difference is negligible.

And it used another litre of oil - I did maybe 50 mins on track spread over 4 sessions, wondering if I used I different oil viscosity it'd use less?

I got some Castrol titanium 0-40 oil to fill (its recommended long life stuff and the most expensive) so hope that's ok?

Looking to get new tyres now. The back left is down to canvas in places on the shoulder, hoping that if I go for another set of MPSS and run higher pressures I'll get better life, I still don't want to change anything on the suspension, if only there was some adjustment to camber!

Also thinking about Michelin cup 2's. Would mean running 240/40/18 at the back, 225/40/18 at front. Only worry is oil surge! And cost seeing as my drift devil could happily destroy them in no time!

Amazingly my brakes are still good, I think the discs are original as there's a little lip on the fronts but they're not showing any of the hairline cracks I'd expect.
Considering trying a set of the M4 pads.

Little vid chasing a Megane from Brands:
https://youtu.be/GFecNSatSnM
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Separate post needed for this!!!

In less than 4 weeks I'm taking the 1 to the ring!!! :spotman: :spotman: :spotman: :spotman:

Will be there sept 6-11 if anyone else going?

Desperately trying to work out what tyres to get, please shout if you have any suggestions:)
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:07 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

And it used another litre of oil - I did maybe 50 mins on track spread over 4 sessions, wondering if I used I different oil viscosity it'd use less?

I got some Castrol titanium 0-40 oil to fill (its recommended long life stuff and the most expensive) so hope that's ok?

.....The back left is down to canvas in places on the shoulder, hoping that if I go for another set of MPSS and run higher pressures I'll get better life, I still don't want to change anything on the suspension, if only there was some adjustment to camber!
Yeah, give the 0W40 a go, or even 5W40.

The rear camber is really adjustable, but it needs to be done on a Hunter as adjusting the rear camber throws the toe way off. Jags at BM sport always does mine. Not cheap, but good. The front sadly isn't adjustable as standard on the F Series cars.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:11 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:07 pm
git-r2 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

.....The back left is down to canvas in places on the shoulder, hoping that if I go for another set of MPSS and run higher pressures I'll get better life, I still don't want to change anything on the suspension, if only there was some adjustment to camber!
Yeah, give the 0W40 a go, or even 5W40.

The rear camber is really adjustable, but it needs to be done on a Hunter as adjusting the rear camber throws the toe way off. Jags at BM sport always does mine. Not cheap, but good. The front sadly isn't adjustable as standard on the F Series cars.
Thanks Marco, very useful info as always!!

Seeing as the cost of 1 cup 2 tyre is 200£ a trip for alignment should be on the cards anyway.
After my last trip to BMsport they didn't say there was any adjustment possible but that they'd make some calls and let me know what the options are for increasing camber. I'm still waiting for their call lol. I'll give them a bell.

When you say not cheap, I'd expect around £150, is that near?
+ some dullness

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Rear is definitely adjustable on the eccentrics, they must have meant the front?

Pretty sure I paid £130 last time.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:13 pm
Rear is definitely adjustable on the eccentrics, they must have meant the front?

Pretty sure I paid £130 last time.
That's really good to hear, they didn't do the tracking when they fitted the lsd so I should get it done anyway.

I'm used to paying £150 for hunter alignment :)
+ some dullness

Birdseye1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Birdseye1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 am

Hi git-r,

Just want to know if you had an update on the front camber situation? I was on track yesterday and it really frustrated me, so I'd be tempted by a relatively cheap situation. I've heard about front camber bushes but I don't think they give you much more adjustment.

Also, have fun at the ring, get lots of videos!!
2014 EB M135i - More mods than I had planned to do... :roll:

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:58 am

Birdseye1 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 am
Hi git-r,

Just want to know if you had an update on the front camber situation? I was on track yesterday and it really frustrated me, so I'd be tempted by a relatively cheap situation. I've heard about front camber bushes but I don't think they give you much more adjustment.

Also, have fun at the ring, get lots of videos!!
Sorry mate, I missed this, no update on the camber front I'm afraid, I'm just using high pressures to compensate.

Ring was absolutely fantastic :)

The car was brilliant.

The journey over was most enjoyable. Took the ferry then cruised to Germany then ..... 155.4 mph according to my lap timer, and very quick to get there. The car felt good at this speed. Also hit 143mph on the ring which is excellent when compared to my Datsun's speed of 150mph with 540bhp and similar weight.

I kept tyre pressures at about 43 psi hot and wear wasn't too bad on the front, was negligible on the back. I didn't get any clear laps but the lap timer calculated a 'best' time of 8:26. lol, realistically I think maybe 8:40 ish.

Despite some flat out bursts up to the limiter on the autobahn the car still managed 31 mpg on the journey there and back.

Also, it used hardly any oil. I didn't top up and after 16 laps and the journey there and back it was still registering nearly full :)

I always had the car set with dsc off which put the suspension into the sport mode. In the high speed bumpy parts of the track I think the softer suspension may have been better. in the wet I tried drifting the youtube corner but didn't feel too comfortable and couldn't get the smoothness I was after, all felt a bit ragged, can't wait to get this car on a wet track to try and learn it better :)

The M4 pads took some bedding in but after a few laps worked fine, can't say I noticed an improvement over the standard ones but they don't seem to have worn much.

Here is one of my very few dry laps, my corner speed is crap frankly, usually only seeing 0.8/0.9 g but I was getting more enjoyment and feeling less scared with every lap. I've probably done around 60 laps now in various cars over the last 4 years.

https://youtu.be/ESE_nRnrW1o
+ some dullness

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm

+ some dullness

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:36 am

I'm currently considering medication to stop these evil voices inside my head telling me to modify the 1.

I'm thinking, M4 lower arms at the front to give around -2 degrees, lowering springs of some sort, and proper alignment also giving -2 degrees at the back as well. If anyone has any recommendations please shout as it seems there are no tuners in the UK with knowledge about these cars. I think I'd be happy if the car just had the camber, it'd certainly make my tyres last longer and that's my main issue.
At the ring I looked at the 125 hire cars and they had huge camber on the front running 17" wheels, the wear on their tyres was spot on. Every other 1+2 series i saw that looked standard had destroyed the edges of their tyres.

Can anyone confirm how the back toe is set? Hoping it'll be toe in as standard and thinking to get a more lively back end changing to parallel toe, has anyone done this?

Power and cooling
Whilst at the ring I pressed and held the odometer button to enter the hidden menu so i could monitor the temperatures. What a clever bit of kit this car is. I was too scared to watch the readout but apparently the oil temp would initially increase to about 122 degrees then drop back to 117 and stick there through the whole lap. Unfortunately I didn't get results for water but think it would start around 107 degrees then drop significantly to around 90. Not sure what happened after that. Can anyone else comment on water temps?

Ideally I'd like to get some sort of hybrid turbo and run as much power as possible. Realistically I'll probably go down a more well trodden path of upping boost on stock turbo then hopefully use the same mods to run with a bigger turbo in the future, I don't want to spend then spend again with further upgrades.

If anyone has any advice please shout!! :)
+ some dullness

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:46 am

M4 arms are tried and tested as you know, I'm not sure how much I can repeat myself here? See page 3 of this thread.

Back toe is set via via the eccentrics, have a chat with Jags at BM Sport. Haven't we already been here too?

Oil sounds about right. Coolant temp is electronically governed. It's about 107°C for economical pottering, but if the car notices you're on it, the ECU will reduce the temp to increase power output. It will drop to 104, 95, or 90°C, depending on how much time you spend on WOT.

Speak to Peter at Pure Turbo's if you want an upgraded blower, and the mods that best go with it.

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 am

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:46 am
M4 arms are tried and tested as you know, I'm not sure how much I can repeat myself here? See page 3 of this thread.

Back toe is set via via the eccentrics, have a chat with Jags at BM Sport. Haven't we already been here too?

Oil sounds about right. Coolant temp is electronically governed. It's about 107°C for economical pottering, but if the car notices you're on it, the ECU will reduce the temp to increase power output. It will drop to 104, 95, or 90°C, depending on how much time you spend on WOT.

Speak to Peter at Pure Turbo's if you want an upgraded blower, and the mods that best go with it.
Thanks Marco, yes m4 arms discussed already and it was you that also told me rear camber is adjustable :)

Very useful to know about water temp.

I've been in touch with BMsport for the second time, will leave another few days then give them a call, they don't seem too keen on my business so i guess that's a good sign they're so busy!

Peter at Pure was on my radar already, thanks for the suggestion.
+ some dullness

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Aye, all sounds alright to me, Ive seen water temps go up to about 107 but they always drop back down again, oil at 125ish is nothing to worry about either.
Interesting you run higher pressures in tyres (Im running 34psi hot) and camber totally changes these cars in my experience, but sack off the Hunter and use someone who does it oldschool, I had much better results doing this.

And the diff ........ if youre not noticing it then something is wrong, are you running DSC off and is it definitely turning off the ediff?

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:49 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:36 am
I'm currently considering medication to stop these evil voices inside my head telling me to modify the 1.

I'm thinking, M4 lower arms at the front to give around -2 degrees, lowering springs of some sort, and proper alignment also giving -2 degrees at the back as well. If anyone has any recommendations please shout as it seems there are no tuners in the UK with knowledge about these cars. I think I'd be happy if the car just had the camber, it'd certainly make my tyres last longer and that's my main issue.
At the ring I looked at the 125 hire cars and they had huge camber on the front running 17" wheels, the wear on their tyres was spot on. Every other 1+2 series i saw that looked standard had destroyed the edges of their tyres.

Can anyone confirm how the back toe is set? Hoping it'll be toe in as standard and thinking to get a more lively back end changing to parallel toe, has anyone done this?

Power and cooling
Whilst at the ring I pressed and held the odometer button to enter the hidden menu so i could monitor the temperatures. What a clever bit of kit this car is. I was too scared to watch the readout but apparently the oil temp would initially increase to about 122 degrees then drop back to 117 and stick there through the whole lap. Unfortunately I didn't get results for water but think it would start around 107 degrees then drop significantly to around 90. Not sure what happened after that. Can anyone else comment on water temps?

Ideally I'd like to get some sort of hybrid turbo and run as much power as possible. Realistically I'll probably go down a more well trodden path of upping boost on stock turbo then hopefully use the same mods to run with a bigger turbo in the future, I don't want to spend then spend again with further upgrades.

If anyone has any advice please shout!! :)
I think too much rear -ve camber with 245 wide rears and you will struggle for traction - I reduced my rear camber to -1.5 deg so as I could get all of my JB4'd grunt down more of the time.

M4 arms [LCA/TS] - I ran -2 deg c/w with Birds B1S springs and ARB's and front end grip, feel and response was far superior than oem - even tyre wear to prove it !!!

Power upgrade that's flexible futureproof - JB4 and DP - nuff zed.

Cooling - I never had issues with throttle closures/timing pulls until I upped the ante by using octane booster and map 7 - my view was/still is <16psi boost stock IC etc is fine - above 16psi - FMIC + boost pipes and optional hi flo inlet pipe if yr car is EWG - reduces load on the turbo to achieve same boost level.

Chart below shows when the ECU begins pulling throttle based on coolant temps.

If coolant temperature range is 117-120, the car will NOT display a warning in iDrive, but beginning at 117 degrees it will begin reducing power output!

Oil temp needs to be below 135 deg C
Coolant temp needs to be below 117 deg C

If these temperatures are exceeded, even momentarily, the engine will reduce power output for a period of time. In my experience, UK climate with just FMIC, N55 copes well enough. However, M135i FMIC, rad and FMOC can all be upgraded - see CA Automotive & Regal Motorsport have started selling CSF cooling upgrades for M2 - some of which will work on Mx35i.

http://csfrace.com/bmw-radiator-splash/#m2

BP

git-r2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by git-r2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:22 pm

docwra wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm
Aye, all sounds alright to me, Ive seen water temps go up to about 107 but they always drop back down again, oil at 125ish is nothing to worry about either.
Interesting you run higher pressures in tyres (Im running 34psi hot) and camber totally changes these cars in my experience, but sack off the Hunter and use someone who does it oldschool, I had much better results doing this.

And the diff ........ if youre not noticing it then something is wrong, are you running DSC off and is it definitely turning off the ediff?
Thanks mate, good to know. Only running higher pressure because of the camber, less pressure would give loads more grip but would also kill edge of tyre. As soon as I get some negative camber ill run similar pressures to you.
Interesting about th diff, I haven't got it coded out. Not really drifted it much but seems ok, haven't noticed anything other than it being a bit scrappy which I put down to my driving. As soon as it rains at anywhere other than brands i'll know for sure :)
+ some dullness

Return to “Members Cars”