Git-r's road/track progress M135i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Git-r's road/track progress M135i

Post by git-r2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:08 pm
Good skills, high 54's should be possible with tyres and a light tune?

How does that compare to the old Datsun?
Thank you!

I think 54’s might be possible with tyres and a tune, the Datsun does 52’s on AD08R’s but that has 200bhp more than the 1 and is far more focussed and has cost probably 3 times more :cry:

Half a second is a good improvement though, very pleased :)
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:32 am
godzilla wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm
So would you still recommend the M4 LCAs as a good value handling mod? It sounds fiddly what with having to get custom bushes made etc.
Are you going to bother with the other M4 bit?

Are OEM M4 pads the best pad upgrade, rather than, say, Pagid RS29s or similar?
Definitely!

There are no downsides, no horrible clunkiness or harshness that you get from top mounts, only positives; more grip, less tyre wear and faster times (please see the post below that I haven’t written yet :) )

The M4 pads are fantastic, utterly pointless spending more because they work well and last well. Mine have done 16 laps of the ring and about 50 or 60 laps of brands but still look fresh, very nice pedal feel and hugely confidence inspiring. At £180 for a set frin and back there’s no point in thinking of anything esle. Any BMW that’s serviced properly shouldn’t need fluid changing either.

As BP says, it’s a very simple job to bolt in the M4 LCA,s but make sure whoever fits them adjusts the alignment by eye if you need to drive it on the road before getting alignment properly sorted as you won’t be able to drive the car. When mine were fitted it looked cartoon litre the angle of the front wheels and I did worry something was wrong!!!

I won’t bother with the Tension Struts.

Everything you need for the LCA’s is detailed by Marco Polo on the last page of this thread, if you call Stuart at BMW Kirkcaldy and mention my name he will have my order on file so will know what parts to send. They were about £300 all in and about £200 for fitting and alignment :)
Ta. But didn't see any info by MP about parts needed for the LCA swap on this thread? On the FAQ sticky, the parts list is for swapping both LCA and TS, and, like you, I don't think I can be bothered to get the TSs changed.
So a definitive list of ancillary parts needed to swap LCAs would be gratefully received.
Great tip about the M4 pads. I have to say, the feel of the standard pads is pretty good. There's always a trade off when going aftermarket, be it noise, cold performance, price etc.
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:29 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:16 am
You need two LCA's and the ball joint from an M4 Xenon Reg rod (for your lights' leveler system). Two new M14 nuts would be sensible, too.

1 x 31122284529 Left M4 LCA
1 x 31122284530 Right M4 LCA
1 x 37142283867 M4 Xenon arm (to steal a tiny ball joint from)
2 x 33306787062 M14 nuts
1 x 07129905817 M6 nut (could use any M6 nut to be honest - only used to mount the tiny ball joint).

All the xenon reg-rod, stolen ball-joint business sounds complicated (in writing), but you're just trying to make this assembly:

You could go for adjustable top mounts, but that could be more expensive (much longer to fit - if you're paying the labour), could be noisy and harsh for a daily, and wouldn't gain you any track width. Sounds like a lose, lose, lose to me personally, but they are an solution.
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:31 pm

godzilla wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 pm
git-r2 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:32 am
godzilla wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm
So would you still recommend the M4 LCAs as a good value handling mod? It sounds fiddly what with having to get custom bushes made etc.
Are you going to bother with the other M4 bit?

Are OEM M4 pads the best pad upgrade, rather than, say, Pagid RS29s or similar?
Definitely!

There are no downsides, no horrible clunkiness or harshness that you get from top mounts, only positives; more grip, less tyre wear and faster times (please see the post below that I haven’t written yet :) )

The M4 pads are fantastic, utterly pointless spending more because they work well and last well. Mine have done 16 laps of the ring and about 50 or 60 laps of brands but still look fresh, very nice pedal feel and hugely confidence inspiring. At £180 for a set frin and back there’s no point in thinking of anything esle. Any BMW that’s serviced properly shouldn’t need fluid changing either.

As BP says, it’s a very simple job to bolt in the M4 LCA,s but make sure whoever fits them adjusts the alignment by eye if you need to drive it on the road before getting alignment properly sorted as you won’t be able to drive the car. When mine were fitted it looked cartoon litre the angle of the front wheels and I did worry something was wrong!!!

I won’t bother with the Tension Struts.

Everything you need for the LCA’s is detailed by Marco Polo on the last page of this thread, if you call Stuart at BMW Kirkcaldy and mention my name he will have my order on file so will know what parts to send. They were about £300 all in and about £200 for fitting and alignment :)
Ta. But didn't see any info by MP about parts needed for the LCA swap on this thread? On the FAQ sticky, the parts list is for swapping both LCA and TS, and, like you, I don't think I can be bothered to get the TSs changed.
So a definitive list of ancillary parts needed to swap LCAs would be gratefully received.
Great tip about the M4 pads. I have to say, the feel of the standard pads is pretty good. There's always a trade off when going aftermarket, be it noise, cold performance, price etc.
I posted MP’s post above... I ordered everything on that list. All good :)
+ some dullness

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 am

Thanks again. Do I still need the ball joint if my car has LED rather than Xenon lights? I’m guessing the still need to self-level? And if I do, I only need one ball joint, not one for each side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am

godzilla wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 am
Thanks again. Do I still need the ball joint if my car has LED rather than Xenon lights? I’m guessing the still need to self-level? And if I do, I only need one ball joint, not one for each side?
Hmmm, not sure tbh. Do they self level? I know Adaptive headlights do, and Xenon's have to, not sure about standard LED's, possibly not?

There's only one sensor if it is there, passenger side. Put your wheels on full lock to the right and have a look for us?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm

godzilla wrote:

It was needed on my '13 version.
+ some dullness

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm
godzilla wrote:

It was needed on my '13 version. Yes just one, not one for each side :)
+ some dullness

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

55's???

Post by git-r2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Well, it did actually make a 55 sec lap... a 55.7 to be exact... but it doesn't count.. I was slip streaming!

lapping by myself best I could do was 56.2. The front left is utterly destroyed. Back left is pretty hammered too.

Update to follow :)
+ some dullness

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 pm

marco_polo wrote:
godzilla wrote:
Hmmm, not sure tbh. Do they self level? I know Adaptive headlights do, and Xenon's have to, not sure about standard LED's, possibly not?

There's only one sensor if it is there, passenger side. Put your wheels on full lock to the right and have a look for us?
Will do. Is it obvious what to look for?
LED lights don’t require washer jets either, which is illogical.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:30 pm

godzilla wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 pm
marco_polo wrote:
godzilla wrote:

Will do. Is it obvious what to look for?
LED lights don’t require washer jets either, which is illogical.
You're looking for a vertical plastic arm, which goes from that wee ball joint up to a sensor:

Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:54 am

Ta, yes it does appear that LED cars do have it too.Image

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Brands Report

Post by git-r2 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Another great time was had at Brands, in both the lap time and fun sense :)

I turned up for a half day and weather was ideal.

Track was quiet too AND Mechelle wasn't on duty so happy days.

Saw a couple of old faces and took a friend out who has recently got an M2, he was impressed with the 1.

Lap time wise the car did a 55.7 using different timing points on the track. Vid below is interesting, I'm going past traffic and brake early for paddock but still do a time much better than I can do when there's no traffic. I'm certain it's because of the slip stream - does this make any sense?

Lapping by myself I managed a few 56.2's but 56.3's were the norm.

Here's the quick lap, if you time from after the turn in to paddock it gives the 55 sec lap.... how sad am I :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjq68Thkh9c

Had a fantastic tussle with the same E46, He was doing 53's we think, his car was 1150kg without driver circa 380bhp running Westlake tyres which are very cheap but obviously give lots of grip.
Annoyingly the vid is split over two, the second part is after I've gone past and him chasing, I was trying!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVy20Uh4vrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3hoTZLtCeE

Hopefully the driver is going to post or send the vid when he's chasing, as you can see from the second vid the car was moving around a bit :)

THe MPSS were hopeless. Amazing grip but edge of fron left destroyed in quite an incredible way, the tyre hasn't rolled over but the soft bit has worn away and is now missing chunks all over that part of the tyre. The back left is similar but hasn't started chunking yet.

I'm going to give up on Michelin, will try either AD08R or similar. Don't want anything too noisy or harsh on the road.

Also decided to go for a square wheel set up. Which is annoying because most BMW's are staggered - any suggestions?
+ some dullness

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Mine are 8" x 18" ET40, fitted with 245/35 square. Since fitting the longer M4 LCA's they caught a bit on the front arches, so had to have an arch roll and stiffer (M235i) front springs.

ET42 would just about perfect, if you can find a lightweight set. Much more than that and you risk the tyres rubbing on the struts.

Mine are flow Formed BBS CH-R's, but if I were buying again I'd probably have a long hard look at Enkei PF01 / TSP6 / Raijin (MAT tech) and Mak Luft (FF tech).

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm
Mine are 8" x 18" ET40, fitted with 245/35 square. Since fitting the longer M4 LCA's they caught a bit on the front arches, so had to have an arch roll and stiffer (M235i) front springs.

ET42 would just about perfect, if you can find a lightweight set. Much more than that and you risk the tyres rubbing on the struts.
Thanks Marco.

A set of 8x18 et 42 or more should be ok then?
+ some dullness

Return to “Members Cars”