Baby BMW Forum banner

Git-r's road/track progress M135i

41K views 487 replies 26 participants last post by  git-r2 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone, my first proper thread, one I've been hoping to make for a while, my search is now over!! :spotman:

Firstly, I wanted to thank folk for the great forum and advice, fingers crossed I'll give a bit back through this thread :)

I've been a petrolhead since birth, initially not too keen on speed but that developed! I enjoy anything with wheels....

For over ten years I've been running highly boosted geriatric Datsuns around most tracks of the UK with a few other interesting cars alongside.

The last few years have seen my driving become less bad enabling me to put some benchmark lap times for the 'new' cars I've had and also to try and improve the times for the Datsun.

I use Brands Indy circuit as my comparison, it's so short that even with my failing memory I can remember where it goes :D

Times so far:

R32 GTR Nissan: 52.6
Megane RS 250: 56.6
E46 M3 : 57.9 (from memory)
Audi A6 1.9 tdi: 1:00 +

To give an idea of these times the 4wd clubman class time attack record is 52.8.

I'm hoping the 1er will be quicker than the Megane. From memory a relatively standard 1M can do 54's so think around this time should be possible.

Initially I was looking at the 140 having taken one for a day long test drive. What a car! Amazed with the power, refeinment and economy. However, the 135 will suit my needs better although I haven't driven one yet - fingers crossed I won't be disappointed!

'My' car (that I haven't even seen yet!) is coming as a BMW used car. It has adaptive suspension (That I'm so keen to have as it'll be used mostly on the road), HK sound and lots of other options that aren't really necessary. I've left a refundable deposit just in case.

Picking it up on Tuesday fingers crossed. I have booked a place at Snetterton on Wednesday but will probably take the Datsun.... and break it... again... :redface:

Hope people might be interested in how I get on, please ask if you'd like to see any of my other 'babies' in action... mostly sideways :D

Also hope to meet a few of you :)

Cheers
Sam

See less See more
#3 ·
Rich196 said:
We need pictures.

If your doing 56's at brands your quick, if they are relatively standard!
Pics and vids will follow - I am a spamming video whore! :twisted:

My old Megane did 56's, my datsun does 52's. I haven't collected my 135 yet!

Intend to put a benchmark time in a 135 when it's completely stock then see how I can improve it. I'm definitely not intending to do too many mods....

Famous last words!

#4 ·
Rich196 said:
We need pictures.

If your doing 56's at brands your quick, if they are relatively standard!
Do you know what a standard m135 does at brands?

#5 ·
I think a standard M135i will struggle to beat a megane around that track. It's not large enough to make the most of the power advantage, and having no diff as standard will limit how aggressive you can be on the power. A few mods do make it a weapon though!

#6 ·
Birdseye1 said:
I think a standard M135i will struggle to beat a megane around that track. It's not large enough to make the most of the power advantage, and having no diff as standard will limit how aggressive you can be on the power. A few mods do make it a weapon though!
I'd agree with you. The megane had different alignment and AD08R's but was otherwise standard. Bone stock it did 57.6.

Not sure what diff to go for. There's a BMW Drexler Lsd for sale here but the part number doesn't match up to the one my dealer gave. Can anyone confirm the part no please?

The quaife LSD I thought would work but Quaife warned it's not good for constant drifting.

Are there any other options?

#7 ·
git-r2 said:
Birdseye1 said:
I'd agree with you. The megane had different alignment and AD08R's but was otherwise standard. Bone stock it did 57.6.

Not sure what diff to go for. There's a BMW Drexler Lsd for sale here but the part number doesn't match up to the one my dealer gave. Can anyone confirm the part no please?

The quaife LSD I thought would work but Quaife warned it's not good for constant drifting.

Are there any other options?
What part number have you been quoted for BMW LSD ?

MFactory and wavetrac are other options

#9 ·
Currently on a train to go and collect my new toy :spotman:

Everything crossed it goes to plan!

If it does, I'll collect the car then stop off on the way home to collect a drexler diff...

Fate :D

#10 ·
I got it!!!

And it's actually as the dealer described - immaculate!

Drove from near Manchester back to south London as quickly as possible yet still averaged 32 mpg.

The driving position is absolutely perfect, so much better than my old e46 m3. It's quicker too!

I went to snetterton in the Datsun today and surprise surprise it sprang a power steering fluid leak on my sighting laps :(

Why didn't I take the 1er, I knew I should've!

Going to pick up an lsd on Sunday fingers crossed from a forum member.

Will then try to get it on track before and after figment to see what the difference in times are.

#12 ·
Jimbob 2705 said:
Very excited to hear your findings, especially compared to the Megane 250! What's your initial thoughts compared to it?
Great :)

The Megane i had was a cup version so pretty hard for normal use, the ride on the 1 is magic in comparison.

I mostly used the Megane on track but found it pretty tiring on the road, it was fantastic on track though.

Anything in particular about the meg or 1 I can help with?

The bmw is way more economical and way more powerful, much quicker in a strt line.

#13 ·
Picked up an Lsd today :)

Not sure when I'll get it fitted, wouldn't mind driving it at the limit as is. Luckily msv were good enough to give me a credit for the snetterton day I missed so a track day will happen soon no doubt :)

Still feeling like new but finding it so comfortable and incredibly economical.
Really enjoying the stereo too :)

Can anyone recommend a garage s/e London?

#14 ·
I use BM Sport at Bexleyheath for alignments, and the odd job here and there, they're used to setting up BMW's for track work.

ETA Motorsport near Brands H are good too, although the parking situation is appalling and they can't handle F Series electrics (not that matters to you for a diff swap).

#15 ·
marco_polo said:
I use BM Sport at Bexleyheath for alignments, and the odd job here and there, they're used to setting up BMW's for track work.

ETA Motorsport near Brands H are good too, although the parking situation is appalling and they can't handle F Series electrics (not that matters to you for a diff swap).
Many thanks Marco, will have a look at BMW sport. How did you find yours after fitment? I'm still waiting for it to rain to experience the elsd lol
Cheers,
Sam

#18 ·
I called BM sport today to see about fitting my diff but they won't fit second hand parts.

There's a garage called KMK autos near Croydon that has some great reviews on google and apparently will do track prep.

Here is their website:
Anybody have any experience of them?

Marco, I may try the place you mentioned near brands if I find nothing a bit closer, thanks.

#19 ·
git-r2 said:
I called BM sport today to see about fitting my diff but they won't fit second hand parts.

There's a garage called KMK autos near Croydon that has some great reviews on google and apparently will do track prep.

Here is their website:
Anybody have any experience of them?

Marco, I may try the place you mentioned near brands if I find nothing a bit closer, thanks.
All my vehicle needs i take my car to AMR (Accelerated Motor Repairs) and they're in Edenbridge. They fitted my Quaife into my diff casing for a substantial amount less than Birds too and did my M3 arms and alignment. I wont use any other garage for that kind of in depth work. The fellas that run it are ex race mechanics so love a bit of work like that over the old service work.

BM Sport are very fussy! They said they wanted to look at my window regulator before fitting that too, and even then they didn't plug my speaker back in and snapped 3 of the clips holding the door card on so i had to fix their failings anyways.

#20 ·
Many thanks for the recommendation. What a small world, someone else has recommended that place.

Will keep that place in mind, ideally i'd like somewhere a bit closer.

Contacted a couple of places yesterday but none got back to me.

Spoke to a one man band in Norwood and he seemed really decent and enthusiastic. His place is called SE Motorsport. He's helping to run a Corsa in time attack and seemed pretty knowledgeable. Anyone have any experience of this guy?

Track diary is looking good now:

Bedford 'how fast' 1st July.
This is where you set a lap with a transponder then can compare to what evo magazine managed in their tests. I have a vague memory of them doing 1:26 in an M135i.
I've done this before in the Datsun and it's fab. The Datsun obliterated evo's time for an r35 gtr. It positioned itself between a Lamborghini Gallardo balboni and a GT2... I think evo either don't test their cars at the limit or run with a passenger as their times are, er, a bit slow!

Snetterton 10 July.
I was there just last week in the Datsun. Did one lap, power steering fluid everywhere then went home. Hopefully this time will be better!

Ideally I'd use the Datsun for both days but it's going to be virtually impossible for me to collect the Datsun in time even if the garage fix it. Which they probably won't :(

So, looking like the little m will be doing its first bit of track work in completely standard form.

Will be interesting to see how it's time compares :)

#21 ·
Danny_Boy said:
All my vehicle needs i take my car to AMR (Accelerated Motor Repairs) and they're in Edenbridge. They fitted my Quaife into my diff casing for a substantial amount less than Birds too and did my M3 arms and alignment. I wont use any other garage for that kind of in depth work. The fellas that run it are ex race mechanics so love a bit of work like that over the old service work.

BM Sport are very fussy! They said they wanted to look at my window regulator before fitting that too, and even then they didn't plug my speaker back in and snapped 3 of the clips holding the door card on so i had to fix their failings anyways.
[/

Got it booked in with AMR, reckon a couple of hours plus oil. Spot on. They mentioned they'd done a quaiffe one :)

#22 ·
Having fitted my own, I'd bargain on at least 3 hours labour, even with a ramp and the right tools. And a rear suspension alignment afterwards of course.

Much trickier to fit than an E Series as the driveshafts don't split. You've got to undo the prop, dismantle half the suspension on one side, then pull it off the other driveshaft. Crap design. :evil:

#23 ·
marco_polo said:
Having fitted my own, I'd bargain on at least 3 hours labour, even with a ramp and the right tools. And a rear suspension alignment afterwards of course.

Much trickier to fit than an E Series as the driveshafts don't split. You've got to undo the prop, dismantle half the suspension on one side, then pull it off the other driveshaft. Crap design. :evil:
Thanks for this, lucky I posted!

#25 ·
marco_polo said:
Even the 50mm spanner you need is slightly rare/unusual, it would be worth giving AMR a heads-up they need one (as they're not very clued up), or it could be a waste of a journey.
Thanks again!!!

Will give them a call :)

#26 ·
marco_polo said:
Even the 50mm spanner you need is slightly rare/unusual, it would be worth giving them a heads-up they need one, or it could be a waste of a journey.
They're aware of the differences and have the right tools so should be good fingers crossed. I'll mention the tracking, hopefully they'll do it if necessary:)

Can't stop thinking about how great these cars must be with more power. It seems so easy and cheap to modify, must try to resist the urge lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.