Baby BMW Forum banner

My E82 Space Grey 135i (finally)

7K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Richie pikka 
#1 ·
Well i have always been meaning to do this but always forget or just CBA is the truth!

So got the car in 100% stock condition but with dreadful crap in the paint, it was on a building site where they cut concrete so felt awful. 1st port of call was a clay and polish. Then on went some black grills and some duel cone intakes. It was standard about 3 days!

Then i went on a little binge and got a few other bits and took it to brands on the baby bmw track day. performed well but needed more front camber and better tyres of course! So before the track it had this lot fitted:
Strut brace
fitted M3 rear arms i had from my 130i
drilled camber pin
sent in for alignment and quaife to be fitted
Cobb Tune.

Courtesy cars while the car was having the diff fitted. Great success!!

It did well at brands but as stated needed some more bits.

Then disaster struck! Massive missfires and all sorts happened just pulled out of my flat, and good ole cobb informed me of this...

So whipped out plugs and saw Cylinder 1 plug was drenched in fuel. Changed that to see if that solved it which it did, then went on to change the other 5 because they were probably not too far behind!

Success and she was away again and running better than ever! Back to mods then. Found myself a strut brance and gear knob from here which was lovely, fitted that up nicely. Also sold the Cobb to go MHD and bought a new intercooler also with a metal intake pipe. on that all went along with a new PCV valve and i also fitted up my own catch can too.

Brakes next, the fronts were wearing quite badly so decide to swap them out and changed the rears at the same time for stock items.

Found some darklines for a steal and a BMWP exhaust also for stupid money so had to be bought! On they went along with a new 135i badge as i like the badged look to the car.

Decided it was time for a spoiler and got a crap carbon one from in the UK which went back rather sharpish with a very poorly left feedback. Got a colour coded one what set the rear end off lovely! Also in there somewhere i cut out the bar on the front bumper lower grills. And washed it a LOT.

THEN i decided it needed more camber, so helped Ian oiut with the camber plates and finally got them on after being a bit of a minge, and it handled lovely! But.... it also needed new wheels and these lovely type 3's come up at a bargain price so i had to have them! 8.5j X 18 ET43 all round. They will be going silver or shadow chrome at some point.

the ride height and rear pogo effect started to really annoy me so took the plunge and ordered some Meister R coilovers for it. Along with some whiteline subframe bushes as the rear end felt very unstable when i went around a slip road and the rear just felt detached! Scary shizz!

Dropped a socket in the rear arch like a lemon... but won in the end!

and the ride height adjusted along with 3mm spacers to clear the struts on the front, sits nice! Coilovers are also lovely, so much more responsive and they soak up the road very well. Much less crashy than stock and you dont actually know you're on coilovers! Exactly what i wanted.

So now its in having the diff bearings done as one has been noisy since i owned the car, bnut never thought anything of it..... Until the whiteline bushes went in! then it was loud and needed looking at. Clearly BMW's poxy "lifetime" oil is utter crap.

dead bearing. Running it was so noisy

While the diff is being done, i also have had front radius arm poly bushes fitted and gearbox oil changed too while its in the air.

I shall update once its back on all the changes!

See less See more
#2 ·
So cars back and feels fantastic!

So much grip and much less roll in corners. Front end feels absolutely planted and the rear breaks away nicely with no nasty snappy surprises.

Also found a diffuser finally!

#4 ·
Nice

So white line inserts made a nice improvement, I've ordered some and just need to arrange to fit.

I'm not bothered about exhaust and such.

M3 LCA + inserts + modified CDV + gearbox oil

Mine is at dealer Tuesday for 3rd wheel sensor in 3 months

#6 ·
mikeyscott said:
Nice

So white line inserts made a nice improvement, I've ordered some and just need to arrange to fit.

I'm not bothered about exhaust and such.

M3 LCA + inserts + modified CDV + gearbox oil

Mine is at dealer Tuesday for 3rd wheel sensor in 3 months
I haven't been able to test it properly as the diff bearings were so noisy after the suspension and inserts it went straight into the garage. But I will report back once i have it back matey.

Definitely do camber plates too from Thetyrant. They made such a difference with M3 LCA's and it was a pleasure front end wise after. I found with just the LCA's and camber pins it still pushed out a bit from the front.

#8 ·
Cars feeling much better now its back and so much more planted. The coilovers and sub frame inserts and really helped the car firm up and the radius arm polly bushes have helped the front end feel less spongy.

All in all happy! But still have this knock from the front that I had prior to the coilovers. Have new roll bar bushes to chuck in at some point to see if that helps but if not, back to the drawing board and may buy new links even though they're less than a year old...

#10 ·
Looks really nice! Did you get the quaife fitted at birds? Did you notice a huge difference?

#11 ·
git-r2 said:
Fantastic thread, would love to do the same to my f20!

Do you have any track days planned?

How much camber have you got now?

Cheers,
Sam
Cheers matey :) I'm going Brands on the 29th so hopefully it performs well! I'm at about 2.7 degrees each side, but will look at reduce it to about 2-2.2 for winter.

ajmanby said:
Looks really nice! Did you get the quaife fitted at birds? Did you notice a huge difference?
Thanks man :)

N.a. I got it done at AMR.

Massive! I also disengaged the E-diff too so stops the rear end feeling notchy as traction begins to break. Nice and smooth :cool2:

#13 ·
Danny_Boy said:
git-r2 said:

Cheers,
Sam
Cheers matey :) I'm going Brands on the 29th so hopefully it performs well! I'm at about 2.7 degrees each side, but will look at reduce it to about 2-2.2 for winter
Awww that's perfect... 2.7 on a car used on road is just ace. Depending on your suspension you'll be seeing some serious corner g and corner speed, it really is what makes cars quick on track!!

Is it a day or eve session on the 29th? - I'm working through the day, unlikely to finish in time for eve sess but would pop down if I did :)

#14 ·
git-r2 said:
Danny_Boy said:
git-r2 said:

Cheers,
Sam
Cheers matey :) I'm going Brands on the 29th so hopefully it performs well! I'm at about 2.7 degrees each side, but will look at reduce it to about 2-2.2 for winter
Awww that's perfect... 2.7 on a car used on road is just ace. Depending on your suspension you'll be seeing some serious corner g and corner speed, it really is what makes cars quick on track!!

Is it a day or eve session on the 29th? - I'm working through the day, unlikely to finish in time for eve sess but would pop down if I did :)
Yeah it doesn't want to give up so looking forward to pushing it around brands. It is an evening session matey yeah with opentrack.

I'm on Meister R's so shall see how I get on. May firm it up inbetween sessions to see if I can get it balanced nicely if it's not already.

#15 ·
So i had the inlets walnut blasted the other day, made a huge difference to driveability! So much smoother and no more shakes/missfire type things happening at idle. Feels stronger on power too, and leans off less up the revs. Money well spent, even if my boost pipe did blow off on the way home. BM Sport like to keep me on my toes :lol2:

Before

After

Then went to Deutchfest at Brands with Trackstormers and took a few nice pics of the car there. Made an M5 very unhappy en route as he ripped if off a roundabout, looked in his rear view and a 1 series was still there! :lol2: :lol2: :twisted: I LOVE this car!

#17 ·
What diffuser do you have Danny, was looking for that design the other day but didn't find it.

#18 ·
gregk286 said:
Looks great! How much is the Walnut blast?
£360 matey. Not cheap but less than half the price of BMW! :eek2:

But well worth it as mine had never been done by looks of it and its made such a difference

ajmanby said:
What diffuser do you have Danny, was looking for that design the other day but didn't find it.
Its the Reiger one mate, a little birdie tells me there's no stock in the UK though at the moment :(

Twenny knows the UK Reiger stockest number so maybe ping him a message and see what they say :)

#19 ·
ajmanby said:
Danny_Boy said:
Twenny knows the UK Reiger stockest number so maybe ping him a message and see what they say :)
Apologies, 5 months later he replies lol

UK Rieger supplier - 01543252010 - £220 delivered for gloss black

Car is looking stunning Danny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.