Baby BMW Forum banner

Deans M140i

13K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  JamieHRC 
#1 ·
Hey thought I'd put a little thread together to keep everything I've done to my 140 in one place really and update any future mods etc .

So I ordered my sapphire black m140i back in October 2016 . I had a 10 week wait which for anyone waiting on a car will know it's torture !

Originally spec'd alpine white then changed at the last minute to SB , which I'm happy with but god it's tough to keep clean !!

Spec :
ZF Auto
Comfort pack
Reverse cam
Front & back park assist
Heated seats
Harmon kardon
Privacy glass

Collection day

Didn't have really any plans to change to much to be honest , never a fan of the stock wheels so I always knew they'd go . I blame the forum for everything else I've done / to do though haha

Couple of weeks in I changed the chrome grills for m performance ones .

Before

After

Simple enough DIY job , expect a little pain in the hands though ...

Next up I added the 3D carbon spoiler & maxton front splitter / side diffusers in gloss black . They look good , the fit great but another area that traps in dirt .

Car was now looking a little less standard , I'm trying to keep it subtle and I've seen a few people wrapping / spraying there front fins which can work on certain colours but for me I'm a fan off the ferric grey detailing so I wrapped the bottom section of the fins only which really does look great in the flesh but hard too capture in a picture .

Original wrap didn't last so I plasti-dipped the bottom section of the fins too achieve the same look .

Changed the mirrors caps over for the Autoid performance caps and had them finished in ferric grey

Next up after a lot of research was springs , in the end I went for HR 15 mm springs which work great for my access issue ( only just mind you)

Stock

HR -15mm

Car looked 10 times better and felt a lot better cornering at speed , the ride was unaffected !!

Car was crying out for some wheels, so the hunt begins !! I looked at a lot of wheels and very nearly went for the schnitzer reps

However I decided the M3/4 competition wheel was the one I wanted . Sticking too 18s I reused my mpss tyres.

Wheel size : 18 x 8.5j ET35 it gives a nice aggressive stance too the car , I'm happy with the look however the wheels are a swine too clean !!

Visually I'm nearly finished , 1 or 2 small changes maybe . I'd like a little more noise and bigger exhaust tips so that will be looked at in the near future . I have a BMS intake to fit so a little induction noise might be nice ,

Too be continued I guess .....

Dean

See less See more
#8 ·
Yep, easily my favourite on here. The Comp Pack wheels are a great look for the M140i, looks very OEM+ [emoji41] Only ever tempted to make some changes to mine when I see yours Dean [emoji1360]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
D6EML said:
Peter.V said:
D6EML said:
Thanks Peter
I'm gonna get those wheels for mine next spring when summer tyres are back on again!
There a great looking wheel, worth the hassle of cleaning them !!

I do have a second set of these in the garage but there 9.5j
Ahhh, did you have to buy two sets just for the 8.5 fronts?

#16 ·
D6EML said:
Peter.V said:
D6EML said:
Yes mate , didn't need tyres so I didn't mind buying 2 sets

Dean
Have you not tried selling the extra 4?
That was the original plan mate but they look ok on the wall , if I sell them i may buy the schnitzers :D
You should do that! Hehe I'll have the 8.5 ones! :D

#21 ·
The stance of a lowered one of these is lovely to my eye and you seem to have got it just right.

My previous M135i was black and caused me more grief than that to keep looking even marginally clean, so I don't envy you that task, nor the one of keeping your new wheels that way too.

Aside of all that, lovely looking motor and I applaud your efforts - am sure the BMS intake gives a lovely noise for you to enjoy also; is it that gorgeous turbo whistle?

Good effort all round I'd say? :celebrate: :spotman:

#23 ·
midlifecrisis said:
The stance of a lowered one of these is lovely to my eye and you seem to have got it just right.

My previous M135i was black and caused me more grief than that to keep looking even marginally clean, so I don't envy you that task, nor the one of keeping your new wheels that way too.

Aside of all that, lovely looking motor and I applaud your efforts - am sure the BMS intake gives a lovely noise for you to enjoy also; is it that gorgeous turbo whistle?

Good effort all round I'd say? :celebrate: :spotman:
Thanks Paul appreciate that , yep black is a real pain too keep , I like keeping my cars clean but I think this could my last black one .

The intake sounds great ,can really hear the turbo spool. a nice sooking noise on acceleration followed by a hiss on lift off .
I'd like too hear a drive by to see how it sounds on the outside

Dean

#26 ·
Looking good... That looks like a fun car to be in if a bit cold in winter :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.