Baby BMW Forum banner

R99's Individual Pure Blue F31 330d - The Family Wagon!

28K views 104 replies 22 participants last post by  R99 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My E91 325d is sadly departed - 27 page build thread here for those who don't know it:
Long and short is that I bought a E70 X5 30d as a better family alternative, however it was rejected after 3 weeks because it was a total lemon and painted about 4 differing shades of Alpine White :redface:

After looking at two more X5's (F15's this time) they were both also shoddy so I decided to pool my resources and get a newer car. I was looking at pre-reg 330i''s and even asked TRL for a quote on a brand new 330i or 330d, but whilst browsing the AUC site by the hour I found this and knew I wanted it! The colour combo is perfect in my opinion. BMW Individual Pure Blue with Oyster leather.

The plans at this stage are to enjoy it, but this is me, so it will be modded - a few things in the pipeline at present!

ID6 coding - done by the resident expert - Wibbles
M3 mirror retrofit - purchased, awaiting mirror cap painting and fitting (again by Craig!)
Custom steering wheel and M3/4 paddles from the same guy who's done my last two cars - Ledermanz in Latvia - due to be posted out this week
G series iDrive wheel (the newer style silver ones)

Then it will move onto styling stuff - which is looking like:

M Performance bodykit - front splitter, rear spoiler, side blades and rear diffuser (no side blade stickers though!!)
19" OEM M3/4 wheels or 20" BBS CI-R
ACS lowering springs
M Performance brake discs front and rear (once they need replacing)

Some pics:

See less See more
#27 ·
R99 said:
BP, thanks!

Interested to hear more about the hub carriers? Why do they have more camber?
BMW sell them to correct variations in camber from L & R

For F31 LCI part nos are

31216854199 - Swivel bearing LHS , camber correction -30MIN
31216854200 - Swivel bearing RHS , camber correction -30MIN

See item # 2 in realoem diagram and parts table in the h'link below plus text that states these are standard fitment on M135i - which come with ~circa -0.5deg front camber as standard

#28 ·
BP, interesting!

I'll get the H&R's on & I'll probably fit the SWP "bad road package" strut spacers on the rear to give the car a nice reverse rake look & eliminate any possibility of the rear wheels scraping under load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
R99 said:
BP, interesting!

I'll get the H&R's on & I'll probably fit the SWP "bad road package" strut spacers on the rear to give the car a nice reverse rake look & eliminate any possibility of the rear wheels scraping under load
Before fitting packers/spacers - to raise the rear - you could tweak rear camber to increase the amount the tyre "tucks" into the arches to mitigate rubbing.

#30 ·
BP, hopefully it won't rub - research suggests it shouldn't anyway!

If I'm honest another benefit of the SWP package is it should eliminate reverse rake.

The F3x springs on the market all seem to lower the rear more than the front

#31 ·
Build update:

H&R's now fitted - no rubbing with the OEM 437m and 245/35 and 265/35 MPSS which if i'm honest I was secretly worried about! The lowering has also helped to tuck the front wheels into the arches nicely and the wheels are a perfect fit IMO - a really aggressive stance. :)

Also had the alignment done as it was way out following the fitting of the springs.

#34 ·
Here is a new pic taken today now they are settling some more;

#41 ·
Blind Pugh said:
R99 said:
Thanks BP - happy with the ride height. It's still fully useable & no issues with rubbing or speed bumps etc. Result!

Looks like rears May have settled and height F&R looks spot on.
Octavius said:
It's nearly finished so you will be selling it soon.
Haha, I'll have to keep this one a little longer yet G!

BMWBrad said:
That is absolutely stunning
Love that first photo!
Many thanks, just took a few when I took my kids out for a nice walk - the car is the perfect practical daily!

#45 ·
Not done a good job of keeping this one up to date on here, apologies for anyone that cares! :lol2:

I added a MPerformance diffuser and also a pair of the 40i black tips - really beefed up the rear!

I also just purchased some 513m's for the car. 18x9 ET29 and 18x10 ET40 with 255/40/18 and 275/40/18 - a tight fit, but they look great in my opinion!

#50 ·
OK, so finally I can update this..... with the results of my ongoing brake project in conjunction with Vagbremtechnic

To confirm, this is a pair of F10 M5 6 pot calipers fitted onto F3x chassis with a custom radial bracket. Pads are genuine BMW M5 items, and the discs are M2 Competition 400mm.

Pedal feel is fine, and the brakes have only done 150 miles so far, so are still being bedded in, but initial feel is very good.

Pics:

#51 ·
That's stunning. Love the colour and the way the brakes totally fill the wheels.

The 30d is a great car; I had one as a courtesy car whilst my E90 330 was in the body shop. The mid range punch is impressive.