Blue Shadow- godzilla's M140i Shadow Edition

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Blue Shadow- godzilla's M140i Shadow Edition

Post by godzilla » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:52 pm

So having enjoyed my Estoril Blue M135i for the last 4 years, I thought it was time for a complete change.
So ordered an Estoril Blue M140i! :D

Picked up my Shadow Edition a couple of weeks ago from the incomparable TRL in Berry Heathrow.
This is the 5th car our family and friends have ordered from him, so he must be good!

Coming straight from my M135i, it doesn't feel like a dramatic change in car, but there are a lot of subtle differences that I love.

Close up of the Shadow Edition lights to show the black surrounds

I love the new style black wheels. Never liked the original M135i wheels and surprised they have been carried over to the M140i.
Never had black wheels before, but they suit the whole Shadow Edition theme perfectly. I know they'll be a bugger to keep clean and scratch free, but right now, they look great.

Like the Cognac, but would have preferred Coral if that was still available, but it's not, so Cognac is the next best choice.
Having said that, I've had Coral over Estoril Blue for the last 4 years, so the change helps make it feel like a different car!

I know it's been out a while now, but the current style front and rear ends are light years better looking than the original M135i in my opinion and the black detailing on the Shadow really makes it stand out.

Drivetrain wise, obviously haven't caned it yet properly, but I do feel the B58 is a bit gruntier (and has a bassier exhaust note) than the N55.
I've stuck with Adaptive dampers and feel that the M140i is a bit tauter than my M135i, both in Comfort and Sport, which is nice.
Digital speedo is a long overdue addition, as is a temperature gauge.

Overall, I love it and bearing in mind that BMW's replacement in the next year or two will be AWD (based on a FWD chassis) with only a 2.0 four pot and maybe not even a manual option, this might well be a keeper.
Nothing else comes close for the price.
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Blue Shadow- godzilla's M140i Shadow Edition

Post by Ezzra » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Looks great!

Any shots of the dash?
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sootyvrs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Enjoy the replacement.. Still remember your old car with it's different wheels posted a while back now

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 06#p693406
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

Ashley1995
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ashley1995 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Wow Estoril Blue looks great with the Shadow Parts.. and a manual too! Look gorgeous :P
M140i | Estoril Blue | Manual | Black Leather | Pro Nav | Heated Seats | Electric Mirrors | Adaptive LEDs | Comfort Access

Lordharding

Post by Lordharding » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Love the cognac interior

Gary_LB
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Gary_LB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Congrats on the purchase you certainly know what you like don’t you lol
Now - 2017 Audi S4 Black Edition

Then - M235i, M135i, 120d M Sport Coupe, Subaru Impreza, Toyota Celica T Sport 190, VW Golf GTi Mk4, Saxo VTR

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks guys. The funny thing is I'm not even that big a fan of Estoril Blue, but it was simply the only option I could live with out of the paltry palette BMW deem to offer the M-Lite in.

But I have to say, it is stunning when clean and the contrast with the black wheels, grille, lights and even side window trim is lovely.
Just had a full GTechniq ceramic coating detail and some "special modifications" that I think suits the Shadow Edition theme down to a tee.

Photos soon, but of course it has consistently rained since I picked it up... :roll:
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,

Symo6791
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Symo6791 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Looks great and making me more sure I've made the right choice with Estoril Blue. I have been thinking about getting a GTechnic ceramic coating so I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it and where you had it done and cost etc ( if you don't mind ) as I live in Surrey so assume it may be local to me. Please feel free to message me privately with cost , if you like. Cheers
M140 Shadow Edition 5 door
Estoril Blue
Pro Nav / Adaptive Suspension / Auto / Seat heating / Folding mirrors / Apple CarPlay

M Performance sills and MP side foils / Orbit Grey bumper blades / Maxton splitter and Maxton spoiler cap / AutoID mirror caps

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Symo6791 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm
Looks great and making me more sure I've made the right choice with Estoril Blue. I have been thinking about getting a GTechnic ceramic coating so I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it and where you had it done and cost etc ( if you don't mind ) as I live in Surrey so assume it may be local to me. Please feel free to message me privately with cost , if you like. Cheers
I've used Valet Magic in Camberley for years. They looked after my (in)famous GT-R and did the Stealthzilla matte clear wrap on it years ago.
I was tempted to go matte clear again for the "Frozen Blue" look, but since my M135i had a satin finish branded wrap for my previous business, I was really enjoying the shine of a fresh clean metallic paint job so just wanted to protect and enhance that for a while.

Robbie is a very knowledgeable chap, website is here: http://www.valetmagic.com/
Tell him David Yu sent you!

Full cost of a GTechniq detail, in and out is around £499, but I had some other work done too, which I will reveal next week.

Symo6791
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Symo6791 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for that , I think I'll look them up! I only live in near Haslemere so not a million miles away from me. Good to get a recommendation so I'm not going in blind. Cheers
M140 Shadow Edition 5 door
Estoril Blue
Pro Nav / Adaptive Suspension / Auto / Seat heating / Folding mirrors / Apple CarPlay

M Performance sills and MP side foils / Orbit Grey bumper blades / Maxton splitter and Maxton spoiler cap / AutoID mirror caps

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am

So had the car 10 days before the modding itch needed to be scratched.
I dropped it round at Valet Magic in Camberley who have worked on a few of my previous cars.
Robbie is a top class detailer and worked on all sorts of cars including some of Chris Evans' Ferraris and lots and lots of Nissan GT-Rs.
http://www.valetmagic.com/

However he is reasonably priced and although I briefly toyed with returning to a matte clear wrap (like I had on Stealthzilla, my old 720hp GT-R), I was enjoying the novel delight of shiny new paintwork so much, I decided to leave it unwrapped, but enhanced and protected with a a full GTechniq ceramic detail, inside and out.
It rained almost continuously for 4 days after I had the detail done and despite driving the car in the usual road grime, it still looks spotless, which is quite incredible. Water just beads up and falls off it.

Having also seen some photos of Maxton splitters on here, I decided to order the full kit they do for the M140i.
This consists of the front splitter, side skirts, 3 piece rear splitter and rear spoiler cap.
All good quality ABS and finished in optional gloss black.

I have to say, they are very nicely designed and complement the car perfectly. Not too aggressive, but they follow the lines of the car and look like they could be factory options.
I would previously have dismissed them out of hand for not being carbon fibre, as I had developed quite a serious carbon fetish and had lots of it (the real stuff, never "carbon look") on Stealthzilla.
But the Shadow Edition, particularly on the 719M wheels, has so many lovely gloss black touches, the gloss black Maxton pieces fit the theme perfectly.

I am now very happy with the look of the car and won't be making any further cosmetic changes. (Although I reserve the right to change my mind and add the matte clear wrap at some point in the next few years! :D )

Close up of three piece rear splitter. Not seen the central piece fitted before. I think it looks great with the subtle fins.

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Looks excellent David :thumbs:
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Nice work. I'd be very tempted to paint/wrap the ferric grey bits gloss black to finish the job?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 pm
Nice work. I'd be very tempted to paint/wrap the ferric grey bits gloss black to finish the job?
Thanks. I've seen cars where that has been done, but I like the contrast of the ferric grey and they match the mirrors.
Once they're black, they almost disappear.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:44 pm

godzilla wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 pm
marco_polo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 pm
Thanks. I've seen cars where that has been done, but I like the contrast of the ferric grey and they match the mirrors.
Once they're black, they almost disappear.
I'd do the mirrors too!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Return to “Members Cars”