Baby BMW Forum banner

My lady in red 120D

866 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Nottsknots 
#1 ·

I hope them pictures work. I haven't been active on a forum since my early 20's. I'm now 29 and just upgraded my prius :rollseyes: to this beautiful 120D! I spent all day yesterday driving from Derby down to Guildford to pick her up, then spent most of today freezing trying to get her clean after the best part of 150 miles of motorway driving. I hope you all like her as much as I do. Any advice/criticism on ownership welcomed

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome.

Looks good. Whats the mileage and year?

Depending on age, timing chains can be a curse. PDC modules have a habit of getting wet and corroding. Reluctor rings are another common (but easily fixed) problem, with some worrying looking dash lights popping up; dont worry :) . Might be worth considering a change of diff oil - the 120d' are stronger than the 118d (and mines still going strong). Watch out for problems with the rear wiper - they can need lubrication (grease, not WD40) on the arm itself, and can leak internally so the motor dies - again, an easy fix. At this time of year, I'd strongly fecommend ensuring there is plenty of grease on the bonnet release mechanism; whilst you may need to get in there as its a new car to you, its a right PITA if it siezes!

The older ones have the stronger paint job. Yours looks immaculate :!:

Enjoy.

#5 ·
I have unfortunately had a chain go on me in a previous 3series. But I've also read that people tend not to have as much of a worry with them if they are serviced regularly? That is something I definitely didn't do enough of in my younger, dumber years. Thanks for the heads up on the rest though, some food for thought over coming weeks.

It's on a 57 plate, so is the dreaded engine, but judging by service history has been looked after. Paint wasn't the best when I picked it up, but she cleaned up surprisingly well. Will give it another go over next weekend and get a few swirls out and get that glass look.

I am looking to change headlight bulbs over to some brighter ones as the standards aren't the greatest. What are the best to go for?

#6 ·
Gartzybaby said:
I have unfortunately had a chain go on me in a previous 3series. But I've also read that people tend not to have as much of a worry with them if they are serviced regularly?

I am looking to change headlight bulbs over to some brighter ones as the standards aren't the greatest. What are the best to go for?
Check with a BMW dealer if its had the stronger chain guides retrofitted, and if not, defo get that done. Then as you say, more frequent oil changes especially is the best mitigation. Dont rely on the CBS on the dash telling you its 15000 miles to the next change!

Osram Nightbreakers seem to be a popular choice on here - have a browse in the lighting section. I ended up sticking with regular ebay cheapy bulbs for the dipped, and a pair of off-road high power ones for main beam - they dont get used that much, only when theres no-one else on the road to dazzle, and illuminate the country lanes deep into the hedges! I couldnt tell you what brand they are, as they've been in there for about 5 years and never had a problem. Dont get too high a power output though, the lenses are plastic, and I've seen posts suggesting they can melt with the heat (not affected me :) ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.