130i Clubsport

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 130i Clubsport

Post by git-r2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Great project. Will be really interested to see what weight you get it to, thinking there's probably a lot of weight that can be removed even if still keepin clubsport spec :)
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:33 am

git-r2 wrote:Great project. Will be really interested to see what weight you get it to, thinking there's probably a lot of weight that can be removed even if still keepin clubsport spec :)
I can’t see this becoming lightweight in this course of work. Reckon the cage will offset the rear interior removal plus whatever I put back and I’m doing nothing to the front yet. Will run car in this spec for this year, reassess and go from there. But yes, 200kg out of one of these would be great. I suspect it’d need composite panels and lexan glass to get to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
E87 '05 130i; BMWP Brakes, intake, & exhaust. birds arb's, quaife, meister R coilovers, m3 lca, goodridge lines, oz Ultraleggera and 595 RSR's.

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Went and saw my cage builder today. All is planned and details agreed and build starts on the 15th Feb. It’s going to be built to MSA spec so that if I do decide to extend it in the future the rear part is already to spec - and frankly that should ensure it works if needed. Between now and then I’ll be getting some harnesses and a second bucket seat in.

The more I look at the rear the more I become confused about what to put back and how to finish it. Anyway, plenty of time to resolve that conundrum.

Now, to order harnesses and find a second bucket seat.

E87 '05 130i; BMWP Brakes, intake, & exhaust. birds arb's, quaife, meister R coilovers, m3 lca, goodridge lines, oz Ultraleggera and 595 RSR's.

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Not much had happened to the car specifically, though have acquired a few bits and pieces.

Sparco carbon seat & side mounts courtesy of babyBMW member SamP.
Sabelt 6 point harnesses & tow straps (though not sure I’ll get the tow straps to fit the oem towing eye holes)
Various seat and harness fixings arrived and waiting more.
M3 rear arms have arrived
Service bits all ordered for diff, gearbox, oil changes plus filters, plugs etc will al arrive next week. Luckily the Fuchs oil specified by quaife is also suitable for the gearbox so that makes getting the right stuff in he right hole easy. (Ooo err captain)

I discovered this week some oil leaks from the usual suspects of rocket, valve tronic, and oil filter housing so they are booked in for corrective surgery on Tuesday. That’s an unexpected bill but necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 pm

The one seater proved quite effective as an emergency chariot for one of the dogs. I’m sure there’s a joke somewhere about a sub-woofer ImageImageImageImage

AndyBish135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndyBish135i » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Think he’ll need a booster before he’ll be much use as a navigator though :wink:
10 plate N54 135i in Black Sapphire
6MT/CIC/Cruise/Xenons/Custom mids/BMWP v1 MFSW handbrake and gear/Darklines/Zito935/BBMW CF Splitter & Diffuser/SSDD CF spoiler
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94948&start=120

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Rustle wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 pm
The one seater proved quite effective as an emergency chariot for one of the dogs. I’m sure there’s a joke somewhere about a sub-woofer ImageImageImageImage

:lol:

Those parts should make a difference. Did the seats just bolt in ok? How is the positioning?
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Rustle wrote:The one seater proved quite effective as an emergency chariot for one of the dogs. I’m sure there’s a joke somewhere about a sub-woofer ImageImageImageImage

The main seat I have fitted with vac billet floor mounts and their anti sub and lap belt mounts. Good kit but very expensive. It’s still fiddly but I’ve done it a few times now so getting there.

The passenger seat I’m not so sure on yet and would like to do cheaper. I’ve seen that Sparco do an e87 specific sub frame so I might grab one of those. The air vents and subs in the floor get in the way of where id like to fit the harness lap belt eyelets. The vac solution avoids this issue as their lap belt mount sits above those vents which is good, so something to suss out.

The next struggle will be how many resistors I need to isolate the air bags and sealer belt tensioners. I may be able to run both harnesses and oem 3 point with a bit of cunning so just airbag in that situation. I should just get a proper coding cable and software.

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm

This week I had the rocker, valvetronic, and oil filter housing replaced by Lee Shannon BMW in Bentley. He Did the cabin filter, plugs, and oil change as well. What I really liked was that he cleaned the entire engine bay down. It’s cleaner than when I bought it!! Nice chap too.

I fitted a new bmwp air filter today, installed the passenger seat lap belt eyelets, and did the belts for the drivers seat.

Frustratingly I can’t fit the eyelet and the pretensioner on the tunnel side so I’ve had i forego the idea of running the three point belts and the harnesses. The VAC stuff works well although I had to relocate the lap sub bar as the clips were fouling the subwoofer. Still don’t know how I’m going to fit the passenger seat as I don’t yet have a subframe, and I don’t fancy splashing out £250 on the vac floor mounts.

Goes in for he cage this weekend. Started fanning up a rear seat delete but realised I need the cage in to really work out how I want it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Poormans » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Someone will be here shortly asking for that old filter :lol:

Looks way too pretty for becoming a track car, or is it just me?
shooting brake

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Poormans wrote:Someone will be here shortly asking for that old filter :lol:

Looks way too pretty for becoming a track car, or is it just me?
I’d better fetch it out of the bin then!!

It’s a bit rough around the edges and has no options whatsoever so it’s kinda made for this - which is why I got it in the first place, just that it’s taken me 3 years to get around to it. Still under 72k on the clock mind.

identti

Post by identti » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Quite like this idea now these are becoming quite cheap. I went in a 130i a few years back and the engine was so smooth - should be good for controllable track driving.

Any idea how much weight you've stripped out of it now?

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 pm

identti wrote:Quite like this idea now these are becoming quite cheap. I went in a 130i a few years back and the engine was so smooth - should be good for controllable track driving.

No, I didn’t weight it all. A lot of it will go back in as this is temporary just until the cage is fitted, plus a rear seat delete I’ll have to knock together. I have decided the rear carpet isn’t going back in as I quite like the added acoustics with it out.

identti

Post by identti » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Rustle wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 pm
identti wrote:Quite like this idea now these are becoming quite cheap. I went in a 130i a few years back and the engine was so smooth - should be good for controllable track driving.

No, I didn’t weight it all. A lot of it will go back in as this is temporary just until the cage is fitted, plus a rear seat delete I’ll have to knock together. I have decided the rear carpet isn’t going back in as I quite like the added acoustics with it out.

Fair enough! The rear seats on my car feel very heavy so I expect that'll save 15-20kgs!

So you're going for the Porsche GT3 Clubsport look, with the bucket seats, cage and no rear seats, but still some carpet?

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:35 pm

identti wrote:
Rustle wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 pm

Fair enough! The rear seats on my car feel very heavy so I expect that'll save 15-20kgs!

So you're going for the Porsche GT3 Clubsport look, with the bucket seats, cage and no rear seats, but still some carpet?
Yep, that’s the current plan. Run it in that spec for this year and decide thereafter. Though it’s tempting so leave it striped out, remove more bits, and start poly windows etc etc. I may weigh the bits when I put it back together and if so I’ll update the post then for general information. I’ve decided to not put the oem rear carpet back in - that alone weighs 6kg. Currently hunting for a lightweight and uninsulated replacement that can take a battering from spare wheels, jacks, and tool Boxes etc.

Return to “Members Cars”