Baby BMW Forum banner

Swanny's 1M Coupe

6K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  SamM140 
#1 ·
Lusted after one of these since they were first rumored and picked this one up today. It was absolutely worth the 7 year wait and 15 hour round trip to Yorkshire. More thoughts to follow.
Still pinching myself :eek2:

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Lovely car that congrats [emoji106] I've wanted one since I first saw and read reviews on them

Sure you'll enjoy it going up in value too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
mikeyscott said:
swanny71 said:
Thanks guys, first impression after 350 miles - it really is as special as old reviews suggest.
You were looking at M2s, but as we all know and love the 1M is something else.

Money no object for an M, I'd have the 1M.
Definitely the car for me, or rather my needs at the moment. 1M just feels more alive than the M2, though I'm sure the newer car would be a better daily.

Here it is with it's older sister - pretty much my ideal current two car garage.

Attachments

#15 ·
1000 mile update:
Loving this car so far, going to be difficult to keep the miles down below 5k/year as I'd intended.
It feel quick everywhere and pretty ballistic if you really give it some, handles really well and the build quality is a step up from my 130i.
And of course it looks the absolute bollox, wheel arches and thuggishness still surprise me when I see it on the drive :)

Few things I've done so far to make it "mine".

1. Milltek cat-back, non-resonated exhaust. Sounds fantastic, kind of a cross between an E46 M3 and an M Performance back box 130i. Milltek don't do slash cut pipes which I'd have preferred (might look into having them changed in the future) but sound, quality and ease of fitment made it 1st choice.

IMG_2929.JPG

Quick sound clip here (not many rpm's though) at 2:11

2. M Performace pedals, full set of rubber mats.

IMG_2928.JPG

3. Knocked the guts out of CDV, as expected not the massive improvement some would have you believe.

4. Full set of fresh MPS4S tyres

5. OEM Front discs + Textar pads all round (my favourite for the road) all round. Previous owner had stored the car for a couple of years so discs were badly corroded and pad material had rusted onto discs - pads had lumps missing out of them. Fluid change and bleed.

6. DIY paint "correction". Not as good as a pro job but happy with the results. Just wish it was easier to keep paint clean and scratch free.

7. Annoying squeaks in drivers A pillar and center arm rest cured with felt tape and silicone lube.

Still to do:

1. Engine oil/filter, Diff oil, Gearbox oil and power steering fluid flush/change - one of which is due but I'm an over-maintainer.
2. Gearshift is lovely but I'd like a shorter throw. Looking into improvising a short shift lever using OEM bits.
3. OCD means wheels could probably use a refurb but I'll do that over winter when not using it so much.
4. Continue replacing rusty/broken fasteners, fixings etc as I find them.

Attachments

#17 ·
Small update.

Last month I spend way too many hours in the garage correcting/polishing the paintwork ready for applying the Gyeon Syncro ceramic protection system. Was a fun to begin with but became tiresome 3 weekends in. Happy with the results (and the £hundreds pounds saved) by doing it myself. Pics to come when its back on the road.

Wheels are off to be refurbed at the moment so took the opportunity to do some service items:

Changed Diff Oil
Changed Gearbox Oil
Changed power steering fluid
Engine oil and filter tomorrow

None of the above "needed" doing but I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance.

Also got some BMW Performance black grills coming after seeing pictures of AndyBish's new 1M.

View attachment IMG_E9096.JPG

Attachments

#18 ·
Absolutely stunning. The black grills will compliment it nicely. I love the look of the fat back aches filled with one of the best looking wheels ever. I'm with you on the preventative maintenance I do it with all my cars.

#24 ·
Wheels done and black grills added :)
PFC Z-compound pads fitted in the hope they create less dust than OEM compound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.