Son of Skippy - Marco's M-Lite - Now with Mini Cooper Exhaust Tips.

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Son of Skippy - Marco's M-Lite - Now with Diseasil bits?!?!

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 10, 2016 4:05 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
marco_polo wrote:Updated with panel seals.
MP - reads like a bit of a red herring - sorry to waste your time and funds. BP
Just giving honest feedback to y'all. :) I'm not upset at all, but my gut reaction is it won't be a measurable improvement (on my dodgy phone app at least).

They've not obviously robbed any engine/exhaust roar, so not a step backwards, imo. Might be time to have a play with some closed cell foam over my rear arches though, or maybe just quieter tyres.... :chin:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

marco_polo

Re: Son of Skippy - Marco's M-Lite - Now with Powerflex Inserts

Post by marco_polo » Sun May 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Updated with Powerflex subframe inserts: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=60691&p=755236#p755236
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 am

The inserts have only made a small improvement tbh, not as big a change as on my E87 despite them being the stiffer Black shore. Probably partly down to only fitting the lower halves.

The stock bushes are solid on the sides already, these inserts prevent excess fore/aft slop. I'm not too sad for £93 though, unless they fail my M20 noise test....

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 am
The inserts have only made a small improvement tbh, not as big a change as on my E87 despite them being the stiffer Black shore. Probably partly down to only fitting the lower halves.

The stock bushes are solid on the sides already, these inserts prevent excess fore/aft slop. I'm not too sad for £93 though, unless they fail my M20 noise test....
MP,

How is the NVH after a few days and more miles, post install ?

Any plans to install upper halves as well ?

BP

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

Definitely no plans for the top halves, I've got at least one new high-pitch boot rattle to find, probably two.

Feels like I'm running an extra few psi in the rears, but without any of the associated loss in grip.

I'd guess the rear has improved 5-6%, and the steering 2-3%. Another small step towards feeling more like a full /M Car, but the pay-off is the vibrations (& the £90 of course).

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue May 23, 2017 11:48 am

marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am
Definitely no plans for the top halves, I've got at least one new high-pitch boot rattle to find, probably two.

Feels like I'm running an extra few psi in the rears, but without any of the associated loss in grip.

I'd guess the rear has improved 5-6%, and the steering 2-3%. Another small step towards feeling more like a full /M Car, but the pay-off is the vibrations (& the £90 of course).
Yes - I'm surprised you went for the black series TBH, given yr concerns abt NVH.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Yup, most probably a mistake. I was hoping the NVH wouldn't be too bad if I wasn't clamping the SF hard against the chassis, but I was wrong.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 pm

2 new major boot rattles found and fixed. I might have a third, but it's very intermittent and quite feint, nothing the stereo can't drown out easily.

Bit of fine tuning next. I'm going to experiment with dropping the rear tyre pressures a psi tomorrow, I usually run 33/34 but will give 33 square a go.

Birdseye1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Birdseye1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 am

MP, can I ask how come you opted for black series over the 'normal' yellow ones? I'm in need of some rear end stability and while a diff is the long term answer, I'm hoping these might give a slight improvement. I assume yours is a daily too, so was there an NVH increase, and if so was it as bad as you feared?
And one more question if you don't mind...any ideas what a garage might charge? Approx 2 hours labour?
2014 EB M135i - More mods than I had planned to do... :roll:

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:50 am

Blacks were a bad choice, don't do it. Vibration and harshness are getting on my tits, I'm not sure whether to try cutting these down, or just ordering yellows. I'll probably end up doing both knowing me!

To fit all 8 rear inserts on a ramp with the right tools should only take about 45mins approx, if they're quoting 2 hours that's really taking the Mick.

Birdseye1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Birdseye1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:16 am

Ahh...sorry to hear! :cry:

I think I'll go for the yellows in that case and hope it's a marginal increase in NVH and the rear end stability is worth it. Ah ok was just guessing at the labour cost but having looked at the pics again doesn't seem to difficult so may just DIY.
2014 EB M135i - More mods than I had planned to do... :roll:

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:33 am

Birdseye1 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:16 am
Ahh...sorry to hear! :cry:

I think I'll go for the yellows in that case and hope it's a marginal increase in NVH and the rear end stability is worth it. Ah ok was just guessing at the labour cost but having looked at the pics again doesn't seem to difficult so may just DIY.
Ditto - sorry that p/flex black inserts aren't working out for you MP plus fairplay to you for being critically honest about them. Hope cut down and or swapping to yellows works out.

Will fitting top halves effect subframe standoff/height relative to main body ie do they sit proud of existing bush or do they sit down below within existing bushing profile ??
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:09 am

The top halves are very small, I doubt they'd alter the SF height.

2 ticks, I'll take a photo of a top....

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:25 am

Here you go, quite different to the fat-ring lower halves:

I've not looked closely at the clearances between SF and chassis rails, but I'd be surprised if that altered the height much, if at all.

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:25 am
I've not looked closely at the clearances between SF and chassis rails, but I'd be surprised if that altered the height much, if at all.
MP - thanks and you are probably right - the profile of these doesn't look like it will create any upstand as far as OEM contact surfaces between chassis rails and rear s/frame. Thanks again, BP.

Return to “Members Cars”