My 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

My 130i

Post by sixpistons » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 pm

I've been lurking on here for a couple of months, so I thought I should maybe get round to posting my car, an LCI 5 door 130i. It's a fairly modest spec (no nav) but does have adaptive xenons, black leather and bum warmers so is a nice place to be; most importantly though it has that fabulous engine up front which really makes the car :) .

Here it is the day I collected it. The first time I held 3rd gear up to the redline was rather special!

During a quick blast through the Peak District:

So far my only changes have been to ditch the run flats and replace them with a set of of Eagle F1s and remove the CDV, both of which were a big improvement. Future plans will be to remedy the woeful sound quality offered by the stock speakers (open to suggestions!), and a wheel refurb as the previous owner seemed to park by braille.

My only real gripes are that the steering, while direct and well weighted does not have the feel of my old E46 3 series, and the suspension can get upset on a poor road surfaces - I'm thinking maybe some Bilsteins would solve the latter issue? As it stands though, it's a nice all rounder - comfortable and quiet on a motorway but very quick with a glorious engine note when you open the taps. It also handled an evening session at Cadwell Park without complaint, and has enough space to sling a mountain bike in the back.
2007 130i, Birds B1, H&R anti roll bars, Quaife

Jamm1981
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: My 130i

Post by Jamm1981 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Very nice car.
BMW
e87 - 116i - 115pK - Sonora - Havana
e30 - 316i - 99pK - Brillianrot - Anthrazit stoff
e61 - 525d - 163pK - Silbergrau-Black -SOLD-
Freude Am Fahren

VW Corrado-1989-1800 16V

BMWBrad
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BMWBrad » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Very nice!
I'm sure you will enjoy your ownership
Pampered E81 130i
(Alpinweiss, Black Boston, CC, Adaptive Xenons, Pro HU w/BT & USB, F&R PDC)
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- Darklines- L7 Mids & Tweeters

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:27 pm

Looks very nice mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

andyg
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andyg » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:02 am

Very nice, have fun 8)
///M135i F21

SOLD - 135i M Sport Coupe DCT

Cupster
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Cupster » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:09 am

Tidy. Adaptive xenons are rare as fook.

Love a bit of third!

The steering you mention may be due to it being electric on the face lift cars as opposed to hydro assisted on pre-facelift (and I guess E46's).
On order: Devils Juice 2018 VW Tiguan R Line. :(

Deposit taken: 130i MSport, Xenons, BMWP Exhaust, Darklines, BMWP Hybrid Grills, Smoked Repeaters, Aero spoiler, Burger 12&15mm spacers, LED Halos.

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sixpistons » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:09 pm

I've been tinkering recently. After a bit of ebay trawling I swapped the door mid and tweeters to L7s last year, and fitted 8 inch subs under the seat powered by an ancient 2 channel Sony amp I had lying round in the boot. Big improvement in sound, but this went bang a couple of weeks ago. So, it was an excuse to upgrade to a decent 4 channel amp and amp the door speakers as well. Here it is:

Amp is a JL XD400/4 - lovely bit of kit.

Once the weather warms up I'm going to look at ordering the Birds B1 kit and subframe inserts. Don't fancy doing that in this weather!

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:34 am

Really nice. I was making inquiries on a silver E81 before I bought eLliE. This time of year, I wish I had!

The electric steering that we have (amongst other marques too including Porsche) are not as good as the hydraulic systems we used to have when it comes to feedback; all of which can be configured back in, it's just the marketing guys at the manufacturers telling the development people that we don't want it! And who are they again?

I actually find my 130i's steering much lighter than my 123d. I wonder why that is? Maybe there is something that can be tweaked.
Chester
Carbon black E81 130i M-Sport Limited Edition
Gone: LeMans blue E81 123d M-Sport Auto

Greek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Greek » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:36 am

Looking great!

Three litre straight six petrol, normally aspirated, in a compact car with rwd.

How could you not love it?

:)
The best engines in the world have 12 cylinders and run on petrol......

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sixpistons » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 pm

I've just been shopping...

Birds B1 springs and dampers :D . Went down to Birds at the weekend for a go in their demonstrator and could barely believe how much better it was. Kevin Bird was great to deal with - very helpful and knowledgeable. Can't wait to get them fitted - just need a dry weekend. I couldn't justify the diff and anti roll bars at the moment - maybe next year...

rm1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rm1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:48 am

Interesting to know how different those dampers are from standard billies if at all?

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sixpistons » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:55 pm

I've not driven a car with regular Bilstein B8s, but people who have tried both say these are more compliant. These share the same damper body but have been revalved. Spring rates are different, particularly on the rear and the damping is valved to suit.

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sixpistons » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:09 pm

So, finally got round to fitting the Powerflex subframe bush inserts. Originally I ordered the wrong ones - my car is a 2007, but for whatever reason has the earlier standard bushes - I found I ordered the wrong ones when I first tried to fit them. Anyway, I ordered the correct ones and all is well. Nice easy job (made easier by the practice run!), took maybe 2 hours to fit. I couldn't get hold of an E18 Torx for the subframe bolt so used a 14mm 12 point socket instead, which fits fine (used the same trick when changing the steering UJ on my old E46) - thought this may save people some hassle.

For something so simple I can't believe the difference they've made! Steering is now beautifully precise. You turn and it just goes, no mid corner adjustments in sweeping bends, no feeling of a double turn in when you throw it into a tight corner and you always know exactly what both ends of the car are doing. I can't recommend them enough.

superram
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by superram » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:08 pm

sixpistons wrote:So, finally got round to fitting the Powerflex subframe bush inserts. Originally I ordered the wrong ones - my car is a 2007, but for whatever reason has the earlier standard bushes - I found I ordered the wrong ones when I first tried to fit them. Anyway, I ordered the correct ones and all is well. Nice easy job (made easier by the practice run!), took maybe 2 hours to fit. I couldn't get hold of an E18 Torx for the subframe bolt so used a 14mm 12 point socket instead, which fits fine (used the same trick when changing the steering UJ on my old E46) - thought this may save people some hassle.

For something so simple I can't believe the difference they've made! Steering is now beautifully precise. You turn and it just goes, no mid corner adjustments in sweeping bends, no feeling of a double turn in when you throw it into a tight corner and you always know exactly what both ends of the car are doing. I can't recommend them enough.
They are an excellent mod, although at the expense of a little more noise, vibration and harshness. Wish I'd have done mine sooner!

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:10 pm

They were one of my 1st mods)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Return to “Members Cars”