My 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: My 130i

Post by sixpistons » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:36 pm

mikeyscott wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:16 pm
Getting v tempted for a LSD....
Do it - you won't regret it. I'd thought about it for a long time. The car was generally ok before, but a stiff rear anti roll bar meant it could get scrabbly and the DSC could cut in abruptly especially leaving junctions quickly, or tight uphill bends, made much worse in the wet. This has fixed that. I'm sure in your 135i the benefit will be even greater with the extra torque.

It did feel a bit daft spending a fairly substantial sum on a 10 year old car with 120k miles, but it's cheaper than changing cars and I really don't know what I would replace it with that would be such an enjoyable all rounder.
2007 130i, Birds B1, H&R anti roll bars, Quaife

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mikeyscott » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Saw Kevin and James in Le Mans, coffee and at the camp. So will call them
135i E82 2011 Alpine White, Birds B1, Michelin PSS
VW Golf MK5 R32 09 - Gone and miss the traction.
123d E87 59 - Gone
Volvo S40 T5 Polestar 08 - Gone - Missed as mega comfortable
Seat Leon Cupra 03 - Gone

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sixpistons » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:52 pm

I've spent more time than I'd like trudging up and down motorways recently and I had some brief thoughts of getting a more grown up car, the main reason being the amount of road noise. It's not terrible but it's certainly not as relaxing to drive as my old 3 series on long trips. Anyway, I know if I did sell I'd regret it, so I set about improving the noise situation and ordered some sound deadening. I just wanted to cut down tyre noise not lose the lovely exhaust note.

First, pulled the carpet out of the boot and the wheel arch sound proofing and put some Silentcoat deadening the metal surfaces, mainly around the arches and forward area of the boot floor. I ordered 1 packet and used just over half. On its own this makes very little difference but it prepares for the next step, which was to cover it in dodo mat. I laid this over the factory sound proofing, covering the arches, side of the boot and also behind the rear seat bolsters over the arch. The existing soundproof felt is a tight fit on the arches, this is 13mm thick it would never go back over if I laid it underneath. Had to make some adjustments to get the carpet to fit back but it did with a bit of swearing. Picture shows the work in progress. I should have taken more snaps really, the end result looked neater (honestly!)
boot soundproofing.JPG
boot soundproofing.JPG (105.53 KiB) Viewed 254 times

I'm pleased with the end result - I've not measured the difference but subjectively theres quite a big difference in the amount of road roar. It's only added maybe 5-10kg in weight and cost less than 100 quid, so worth a try if you want less tyre noise.

The rear tyres are about on the wear bars which will not have been helping, so a nice new pair of GY F1 asymmetric 3s will be fitted shortly - should be even better then.
2007 130i, Birds B1, H&R anti roll bars, Quaife

Return to “Members Cars”