Baby BMW Forum banner

Modding my 123d - Betty Boost:ST XTA coils! (pg. 9)

27K views 137 replies 23 participants last post by  jgalea324 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! As you can see from the topic title, this is my first Bimmer and so far, no regrets whatsoever :) I bought it with 27k miles on the clock, 2010 model, loved every second with it so far. Some points to note so far:

- Pulls like a train from late 2nd gear onwards, not so quick off the line... Not so fussed about it, mid-range torque is what matters for me (and boy does this have it)
- Very, very stable on the road, and that's with a set of run-flats which need changing soon. Can't understand how some reviews slam the Msport for being uncomfortable... it's not a Rolls but neither is it a quad-bike
- Satisfied with the fuel costs so far - I'm managing between 35-36 MPG on strictly city-runs, which isn't too bad from what I've read?

Just a couple of questions before the pictures :p

1. Should I be doing something to run-in the engine, since it still only has 27k miles? Heard it takes at least 40k for the engine to be considered as truly run in
2. Anything else to look out for, as in, any stuff I should do to make sure it's running at its best?
3. Any notorious problems with the 123d which I should be aware of? I heard the flywheel won't stand much abuse
4. Which oil's best for the engine? And which tyre brand should I consider when it's time (soon) to change? I won't go for the run-flats, was looking at some Michelins

Anyway, here are some pictures of my baby :)

See less See more
#127 ·
jgalea324 said:
:spotman: :spotman:

ST XTA in da house!

(Already fitted but waiting for them to settle and set up the geo properly before commenting)
Nice one look forward to your findings :D

Ian

#128 ·
THETYRANT said:
jgalea324 said:
:spotman: :spotman:

ST XTA in da house!

(Already fitted but waiting for them to settle and set up the geo properly before commenting)
Nice one look forward to your findings :D

Ian
Thanks Ian! I'll certainly keep you all updated :) going in for geo-settings today as it's currently all over the place, don't dare to do more than 60 mph as it's extremely skittish. Went round one 90 degree corner at normal speeds and one wheel locked :eek2:

#129 ·
Well the ST XTA coilovers have now settled well and had the corner weighting done last Saturday morning. The coils were the missing piece I've been waiting for, the mod which gelled all the other mods together so to speak. Point-and-squirt set up now, it can carry ridiculous speeds through the corner and just squats and go. Decided against putting on the ARBs because I really do not want to stiffen up the suspension more than it already is; it's just right. I had a ride in a friend's car with BC Racing coilovers and the difference is night and day. The coils were left in ST factory settings with regards to damping and they're just right really.

There is just one niggle left, and that's the fact that for some strange reason my alignment shop can't get it right; first time it ever happened. First try, the car significantly veered to the left. Second try, much better but now it's leaning towards the right. Steering is not dead straight either; it seems to be dead straight after the alignment but then veers to the right (first try) and now left (second try) when trying to drive straight. Going in for the third time and I will, if necessary, spend 5 mins getting it straight myself while on the machine.

The only single mod which I'd consider is a Quaife LSD. The limits of the car are so high that I can't expect to reach them anytime soon unless I go out in a track, and even then it will take me some time to get used to the increased capabilities. Car is running 1.45 neg camber up front and around 1.3 in the rear; I think it's the ideal daily-driver setup really especially due to the horrible roads around here.

Anyway, here's a few pics of how it's currently sitting:

#133 ·
ricky3 said:
Top! The best 1 series hatchback in Malta :lol2:

Well done for the photographer too :)
Cheers bud! Yes he did an amazing job - it's JP from Selekter Media

#135 ·
Jack@AUTOID said:
jgalea324 said:
ricky3 said:
Top! The best 1 series hatchback in Malta :lol2:

Well done for the photographer too :)
Hey! Was the BMWP kit a nightmare to fit? Do you have the part numbers you used?

Looking to do the same ...
Hi there! Not at all - just ensure you have all the required parts. Take a look at realoem and ask Phil from Cotswold to give you a helping hand - he was a complete rock when it came to ordering mine!

#136 ·
jgalea324 said:
Jack@AUTOID said:
jgalea324 said:
Hey! Was the BMWP kit a nightmare to fit? Do you have the part numbers you used?

Looking to do the same ...
Hi there! Not at all - just ensure you have all the required parts. Take a look at realoem and ask Phil from Cotswold to give you a helping hand - he was a complete rock when it came to ordering mine!
What was the cost of the front bumper and accessories? Just bought the side skirts on eBay.

#138 ·
identti said:
Lovely wheels (and the rest of the car too of course!). Quite tempted by some OZs myself :D
Thanks mate! One of the best mods I did to the car - not just aesthetically, but the wider track and the lighter weight (3kg savings on each corner) really made a difference to how the car handles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.