Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i story and mods review

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i story and mods review

Post by Twenny » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Holyyyyyyy shiiiiiiit buddy that’s gonna be a god damn rocket!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Graearea
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Graearea » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Oh that I like! black and blue

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Do you still use it if is it off the rd ?
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:18 am

markhurley wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:47 pm
Do you still use it if is it off the rd ?
No its SORN at the moment, I am using my girlfriends 130 for fun at the moment (Cupster's old car). Mine didn't pass emissions with the old tune using the MAF and old injectors so drove it until the MOT expired. It started and ran the other weekend. Going to fit the BOV controller and start it and check the BOV is working as it is meant to be then I'll fit the larger injectors and MAP sensor. I need to read the ECU and send the file to Bob at BPC so he can send me a base tune. BPC have now tuned a handful of cars with the ESS supercharger and have their own N52 turbo on stock internals and ECU so reckon they can get the tune 90% there without any data logging.
Last edited by jonwilli on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
E81 BMW 130i
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 am

Twenny wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:53 pm
Holyyyyyyy shiiiiiiit buddy that’s gonna be a god damn rocket!!!

It'll never be a torque monster but should have a lot more top end power. BPC reckon from their work on the turbo N52 that 9 to 10psi should get between 450hp and 500hp (American dyno). Their turbo car is on 550hp with stock internals and ECU and same custom injectors I am fitting to my car. I will see how she goes with the current pulley which should be running around 7psi and then maybe drop the pulley size down. I've made sure all the tweaks to the intercooler etc will allow me to run much higher boost if I want.

Has anyone also read about MILVs? Modified Intake Lift Valvetronic supports? There are guys in the US adding an extra 1mm lift to the intake valves and getting some good NA gains (20hp or so I think) with NA Alpha N tunes from BPC. I think BPC are also fitting the same MILVs to N55/S55's. Maybe I will consider doing this in the future as it should have even bigger gains on the N52 with some boost and the parts are cheap...its the time to fit that puts me off at the moment.
E81 BMW 130i
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:42 am

Graearea wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:55 pm
Oh that I like! black and blue

The photos make the wheels look darker than they are but potentially a little dark for my tastes. Here they are on the old owners silver car. I will probably only run them in summer so will see how I feel about them when the sun is out and the car is clean. Love the design though, as I said they are incredibly light and well made whee, I think they used to be Sootys wheels that he had on his M135i, then sold to another M135i owner and now bought by me.

Last edited by jonwilli on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E81 BMW 130i

supercati
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by supercati » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 am

I can't see the last photobucket images and I would really like to see this car and the last mods :(
130i E81 2007 LHD - Sparkling Graphite Metallic / Boston Terra - CDV Delete - 135i ESD with resonator delete - LED Blacklines - RIP :(
130i E81 2008 LHD - LSE / Boston Terra - Complete HiFi Retrofit - CDV Delete - LED Blacklines - BMWP SSK -

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am

supercati wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 am
I can't see the last photobucket images and I would really like to see this car and the last mods :(
They were working last week which surprised me! Which photo host sites are people using now? Is Photobucket a complete no no now? I wondered if they'd reversed the subscription changes from a few months ago....
E81 BMW 130i

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 am

Yes i could see them last week which was odd, i use imgur.com for hosting if i need to now Jon
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

supercati
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by supercati » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm

jonwilli wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am
They were working last week which surprised me! Which photo host sites are people using now? Is Photobucket a complete no no now? I wondered if they'd reversed the subscription changes from a few months ago....
As THETYRANT said, imgur or tinypic (with account).

If you could post the photos again would be really good! :D
130i E81 2007 LHD - Sparkling Graphite Metallic / Boston Terra - CDV Delete - 135i ESD with resonator delete - LED Blacklines - RIP :(
130i E81 2008 LHD - LSE / Boston Terra - Complete HiFi Retrofit - CDV Delete - LED Blacklines - BMWP SSK -

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 pm

supercati wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm
If you could post the photos again would be really good! :D
I will but it may take a while to find time!
E81 BMW 130i

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:47 pm

jonwilli wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 pm
Jack@AUTOID wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm
jonwilli wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:27 pm
Ha not much to report, although the Vectra has had its first mod...the rear seat belt points were corroded so to pass the MOT I have ripped out all the rear seats and it is now essentially a Vectra van :). I can confirm that this mod does not improve the 0 to 60 time with a 1.8l 16v engine :)
Read all through this today. Your car is unreal! What’s the latest?
I ought to upload some photos, its looking pretty cool. I've replaced the intercooler (with Forge item) and all the IC ducting with aluminium hardpipe. Changed the pre CAT O2 sensor locations in the exhaust manifold to OEM location. The intake manifold and all cold side pipes are covered in gold heat reflective tape. I am in the middle of fitting a Turbosmart BOV controller. Following that I need to wire in an N55 MAP sensor and fit the larger injectors and new spark plugs. Then it is time for mapping :). I've paid for a BPC (Bimmer Performance Centre) map which will be an Alpha N tune remotely done from the US.
If it’s an Alpha N tune why do you need the map sensor?
I was alway led to believe Alpha N works off of angle not vacuum like a map sensor?

How much was the kit originally? I was tempted by it but don’t fancy going through all the hassle that you have.

Bet you can’t wait to get it sorted now
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 pm

markhurley wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:47 pm
jonwilli wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 pm
Jack@AUTOID wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Read all through this today. Your car is unreal! What’s the latest?
I ought to upload some photos, its looking pretty cool. I've replaced the intercooler (with Forge item) and all the IC ducting with aluminium hardpipe. Changed the pre CAT O2 sensor locations in the exhaust manifold to OEM location. The intake manifold and all cold side pipes are covered in gold heat reflective tape. I am in the middle of fitting a Turbosmart BOV controller. Following that I need to wire in an N55 MAP sensor and fit the larger injectors and new spark plugs. Then it is time for mapping :). I've paid for a BPC (Bimmer Performance Centre) map which will be an Alpha N tune remotely done from the US.
If it’s an Alpha N tune why do you need the map sensor?
I was alway led to believe Alpha N works off of angle not vacuum like a map sensor?

How much was the kit originally? I was tempted by it but don’t fancy going through all the hassle that you have.

Bet you can’t wait to get it sorted now
I'm not sure how much the kit was originally, something like £3.5k, however it has cost me a chunk on top of that p*ssing about and I am using very little of the original kit! Just the supercharger, SC oil cooler, SC engine mount bracket and a couple of the charge pipes. I have learnt a lot though and enjoyed tinkering. If I was to do it now the only difficultly would be getting a bracket to hold the supercharger to the engine block. The main hardware is relatively simple, its having the BOV controller and then the R&D by people like BPC into the ECU and injectors that has only really materialised in the last year. I think using the Rotrex charger on a 1 series is also a bonus as it allows you to run an intercooler. I can't see how you'd manage that with the ESS kit and their Vortech unit as there is so little space in that part of the engine bay! I think the only alternative would be meth injection.

My understanding is that an Alpha N tune means you can run without the MAF but can utilise a MAP sensor? I think the M3 CSL uses a MAP sensor due to its carbon air box and an Alpha N tune? Anyway I'm no expert...as long as it works I'm happy :).
E81 BMW 130i

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 am

That’s interesting so knowing what you know now you could build this set up for less money?
It will be a great once all up and running.

M3 has a maf as standard, the likes of evolve tune via the alpha N route which can be poor if I’m honest but essentially will work and can be tunned

M3 csl uses a map sensor which works on vacuum and is a far superior system to the alpha N route

Alpha N works on angle which is basically a limp mode/fallback if one of the other systems fail,
It works off of the throttle position sensor and engine rpm but it can’t meter air flow like a maf or map sensor hence why it can be a bit lumpy and jumpy , it will still make power but it’s not as smooth as the other 2 systems also driving up say a long hill will be crap,
So I personally would want it running off the map sensor and would steer clear of any alpha N

Only reason I got involved with this is because my mate done a full csl airbox conversion with and alpha N map and it was horrible, so he went done the map sensor route and the difference was ridiculous so much better

Hope this helps after all the time and effort you have put in you want it right.

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:03 am

markhurley wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 am
That’s interesting so knowing what you know now you could build this set up for less money?
It will be a great once all up and running.

M3 has a maf as standard, the likes of evolve tune via the alpha N route which can be poor if I’m honest but essentially will work and can be tunned

M3 csl uses a map sensor which works on vacuum and is a far superior system to the alpha N route

Alpha N works on angle which is basically a limp mode/fallback if one of the other systems fail,
It works off of the throttle position sensor and engine rpm but it can’t meter air flow like a maf or map sensor hence why it can be a bit lumpy and jumpy , it will still make power but it’s not as smooth as the other 2 systems also driving up say a long hill will be crap,
So I personally would want it running off the map sensor and would steer clear of any alpha N

Only reason I got involved with this is because my mate done a full csl airbox conversion with and alpha N map and it was horrible, so he went done the map sensor route and the difference was ridiculous so much better

Hope this helps after all the time and effort you have put in you want it right.
Thats good to know. The N55 MAP sensor and harness was provided by BPC along with the injectors and their tuning box so assume it will be utilised in the tune (whatever form that is :))
E81 BMW 130i

Return to “Members Cars”