Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i story and mods review

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: RE: Re: Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i story and mods review

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:53 pm

jonwilli wrote:
rob180bhp wrote:I follow there work on instagram
I have been dealing with Ben Koflach from Hack Engineering (really nice guy) to sort out the spare pads and ducts for the gratuity. Hack are going to be UK importers I believe, that might bring the prices down a little bit and maybe get WP the coverage in Europe that (I think) they deserve. WP were in the last issue of Evo so must be promoting this side of the Atlantic more than they used to.
I follow hack also, but wp are serious money

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

unutterable83
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i story and mods review

Post by unutterable83 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:48 pm

jonwilli wrote:
rob180bhp wrote:I follow there work on instagram
I have been dealing with Ben Koflach from Hack Engineering (really nice guy) to sort out the spare pads and ducts for the gratuity. Hack are going to be UK importers I believe, that might bring the prices down a little bit and maybe get WP the coverage in Europe that (I think) they deserve. WP were in the last issue of Evo so must be promoting this side of the Atlantic more than they used to.
With sterling so strong it's rare to find an "official importer" cheaper than buying direct I find, at least in europe anyway.

Wish we could buy Apex wheels at the dollar price without import duty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW 130i, M3 steering rack, adjustable toe arms, lower control arms, rear subframe, bilstein b12, braided lines, style 68m wheels ... LSD work in progress

THETYRANT

Re: Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i story and mods review

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Have you got the car back ? :)

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:12 pm

THETYRANT wrote:Have you got the car back ? :)

Ian
Short story...not yet!

The Arma kit uses solenoids, axle speed sensor and a piggy back ECU to control boost and fueling. It is a clever but fairly elaborate design that I was worried could cause headaches in the future. I didn't want additional electrics under the chassis and in the engine bay where the chances of non OEM parts (of unknown quality) failing were high. The brief for Regal was to adapt the Arma kit to run like the VF kit they had fit to the Z4 i.e. larger injectors, recirc valve and running with OEM sensors.

I was told the car was ready last Monday so went down to pick the car up, took a day off work, got the train down (4 hours one way!), paid for Regals work and took it up to SSR to get a run on Charlie's dyno. Chris, the MD had told me the tune was 95% there and to get the final 5% could take months of fine tuning. From what he said the only slight glitch in the tune was that the idle fluctuated which he showed me before I paid. However, when I left to drive from Southampton to Farnborough for the RR session I found that the throttle response from 1,000 to 3,000rpm was jerky and hesitant a lot of the time. Charlie confirmed in scenarios that caused this to happen the AFR wasn't right. I therefore drove the car back to Regal and left it with them and got the train home!! I left the house at 6:40 and got home at 20:40, a very long day and cost me £100 in train fares!

Regal are currently making some hardware changes to the set up (which I had asked them to do from the start!). The most important one is to run a Forge recirculation valve rather than the atmospheric blow off valve that came in the kit. I am assuming as the MAF is connected in the intake it must have been used in the Regal ECU tune, I am not sure how this would work with an atmospheric blow off valve, unless running an Alpha N tune??! Hopefully not running the recirc is why the idle was bad and the part throttle felt horrible!! We shall see.

I am not really sure what Regal are playing at. Even Charlie at SRR was surprised as he thought Regal had a good reputation. I am hoping they have lots of other work on which is why my car hasn't had the attention it should have had. I am amazed that they would let a customer take a car when the work so blatantly wasn't really ready. The MD seemed completely unphased when I dropped the car back. He had excuses and tried to convince me to take it home to put a few more miles on it and see if I 'could drive around the problem'. On reflection things said by email and when I picked the car up hinted at this. At present I am just going with the flow and hoping they pull their finger out! I am sending chaser emails every few days now though!

The mechanic working on the car has SC'd his own N52 in a 3 series and they have SC'd the N52 Z4, both of these installs used a Vortech blower and not a Rotrex blower (one of the excuses as to why my car wasn't running 100%). I am therefore confident that they have the knowledge and experience but just need them to focus!!

On the upside, the drive I had did show that from 3,500rpm up you could really feel the extra power! The car really pulled hard as the revs rose but felt pretty standard in power under 2,000rpm. The car on Regals dyno did a base run of 267bhp and 250lbft, the final run was 389bhp and 330lbft, however, with heat soak after 5 mins on the dyno they saw this dropping to 380bhp.

Fingers crossed it should all be sorted out in the next few weeks. From previous experience with custom work on cars I have become very patient!! It has been nearly 11 weeks a car and I haven't showed my annoyance to Regal yet!! I just want them to get on with the job properly.
E81 BMW 130i
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:31 am

Sounds a bit of a mission!....hopefully they will soon get it sorted out, as you say the vta to recirc issue should help smooth things out, from what ive experienced on other cars running a VTA dv with a MAF car makes it very tricky for Ecu to get a nice smooth idle etc.

Amazed they let you take the car in the state of tune it was and took your money when it clearly was far from finished!, bit worrying really but fingers crossed it was a minor slip and they finish things off this time.

Watching this space :)

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Yeah me to!!! It may not have end up with the same power of a tuned 135i but with the lower weight and linear power delivery I think it will be exactly what I what I want from a fun daily/weekend blast, hence the investment in the car. Regal also replaced the spark plugs the morning I picked the car up (although I asked them to do that as part of the quote and in subsequent emails) so am hoping that they might also be part of the issue with the idle as the car was tuned for the old 30k mile ones. I'm trying to give them the benefit of doubt :).
E81 BMW 130i
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*123D*
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by *123D* » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:46 am

Excellent write up, Hope the SC gets sorted soon as I'm looking forward to reading the write up.
123D is a diesel with two turbos :lol:

///MBan

Post by ///MBan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:53 am

I normally check these forums on my phone and so haven't seen your signature linking to this build page but now that I've found it, I'll be watching with interest.

Really comprehensive and well thought out build.

I've been thinking about suspension upgrades lately and your positive experience with the Birds kit seems like a well-rounded solution.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the S/C setup once you've got the bugs ironed out!

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:02 am

///MBan wrote:I normally check these forums on my phone and so haven't seen your signature linking to this build page but now that I've found it, I'll be watching with interest.

Really comprehensive and well thought out build.

I've been thinking about suspension upgrades lately and your positive experience with the Birds kit seems like a well-rounded solution.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the S/C setup once you've got the bugs ironed out!
If you are looking at suspension options have a look at the Tyrants posts (Birds review below). He has tried about four different set ups in as many months for fast road with occasional track use. I think in summary Birds is his favourite but he has found some issues at low speed that he is looking into fixing for his intended use.
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=78606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
E81 BMW 130i

///MBan

Post by ///MBan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks - I'll have a look.

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:01 am

OK update on the supercharger installation. The atmospheric blow off valve located between the intercooler and the throttle body has been removed and a part machined to fit a Forge recirculating valve. From road tests Regal say the recirc valve has not resolved the idle and low rev throttle response. They have looked at the MAF readings and say they are fluctuating due to turbulence. I think some of the older VF 3 series supercharger kits run a MAF ECU tune and have a snorkel on the end of the intake to draw cold air from the lower bumper. The MAF is extended so that in its location the air flow is more linear. Due to the intercooler pipe work there is not enough space to extend the intake on my car. The plan now is to tune the ECU to run MAFless. I believe that this is how the ESS N52 kit is tuned as they had similar issues with intake turbulence and therefore over and under fueling. Most of the newer BMW SC kits from Evolve, AA and ESS now run an Alpha N tune rather than a MAF tune. Regal say the Alpha N tune could take some time! I will keep you posted.
E81 BMW 130i

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:13 am

jonwilli wrote:OK update on the supercharger installation. The atmospheric blow off valve located between the intercooler and the throttle body has been removed and a part machined to fit a Forge recirculating valve. From road tests Regal say the recirc valve has not resolved the idle and low rev throttle response. They have looked at the MAF readings and say they are fluctuating due to turbulence. I think some of the older VF 3 series supercharger kits run a MAF ECU tune and have a snorkel on the end of the intake to draw cold air from the lower bumper. The MAF is extended so that in its location the air flow is more linear. Due to the intercooler pipe work there is not enough space to extend the intake on my car. The plan now is to tune the ECU to run MAFless. I believe that this is how the ESS N52 kit is tuned as they had similar issues with intake turbulence and therefore over and under fueling. Most of the newer BMW SC kits from Evolve, AA and ESS now run an Alpha N tune rather than a MAF tune. Regal say the Alpha N tune could take some time! I will keep you posted.
Oh well at least it sounds like they are making progress, its a shame they cant get it to run on the MAF as its so much less work mapping but at least there is the option of Alpha tune and remove the Maf, which once properly mapped should give good results, I know on my old Evo2 I removed the MAf and fitted a similar non-maf system based on Map and temp sensors and its was lovely and smooth by time I finished mapping it.

Hopefully wont be too much longer for you :)

Ian
--

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:13 pm

THETYRANT wrote:I know on my old Evo2 I removed the MAf and fitted a similar non-maf system based on Map and temp sensors and its was lovely and smooth by time I finished mapping it.
Did you map it yourself? Where and how did you learn? I'd be interested to learn even if I didn't put the learnings into practice.
E81 BMW 130i

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Here are some of the photos of the supercharger install so far.

Air to air intercooler and Rotrex oil cooler

Rotrex supercharger in place of the air box. Nice carbon intake pipe work

Forge recirculating valve in place of atmospheric dump valve...its massive compared to the plastic Bosch valves found as standard on VAG and BMW turbo'd cars. Maybe a little overkill? At least it should work and last well!

All hardware is customised as necessary now; larger 380cc injectors, Forge recirc valve, FMIC, PCV breather etc...just need to get a smooth tune.

I have been impressed by the quality of the parts Regal have fabricated themselves. They have machined a blanking plate for the 7th injector in the Arma kit and an adapter to run a V band clamp (that held the BOV) in the boost pipe to the recirc valve. Both of these parts have been fabricated to OEM tolerance from the looks of the photos they have sent me.
E81 BMW 130i

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:08 pm

jonwilli wrote:
Did you map it yourself? Where and how did you learn? I'd be interested to learn even if I didn't put the learnings into practice.
Yes I did, slowly and carefully, I had some experience watching my old tuner live map my first Evo while I drove so got an idea on how best to start off, then lots of datalogging and small adjustments before more datalogging etc etc , I always aired on side of caution and car could probably of made more power but I kept it in 1 piece. There are plenty of books and information out there and how difficult it is depends on the software and state of tune, a big power car that gets through the revs fast is hard work I would imagine.

Pictures of yours looks good and very interesting setup, I would of thought that airfilter was maybe a little restrictive but space is tight I can see!

Ian
--

Return to “Members Cars”