Baby BMW Forum banner

DB's E81 130i

9K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  supercati 
#1 ·
Home alone on a Sat night so thought I'd start a thread on my 130.

I did have a 130i LE some four years ago now, but sold it to finance a wedding/house purchase. Since then a string of straight 6 beemers came and went but I always hankered after another 130.

The car is ok spec wise, but is missing nav (not bothered) and xenons (bit bothered).

The car has had a few mods already: Superpro arms and KW anti-roll bars. I've ordered the BMWP air filter and have a custom made exhaust fitted with mid-box delete. Whilst I love the sound now (nice bassy tone, few pops, no drone) I'm not too keen on the visible back box. I may spray it black to hide it a little better, or have a different box made up.

Future plans are CDV delete, change the vanos solenoids (current are dirty/worn causing slight hesitation when accelerating in 4th- 6th), and a remap. Also a suspension upgrade, though I'm not yet sure what to go for (I'm following THETYRANT's thread with great interest!). My wife and I are planning a two week European road trip in the summer so, funds/wife permitting, I'll get the bits done before then.

See less See more
#52 ·
markhurley said:
Looks good! them wheels really suit the car well, I'm temped to go PHX yellow on my calipers , are they 340mm ?? they look bigger ?

Also where did you get the disks as i need a set for mine ?

(sorry for all the questions )

Cheers
Thanks! I'm really happy with them. Yes, they're 340mm, ordered from Cotswolds. They're not cheap, but I thought worth it.

#53 ·
Minter said:
If you don't mind me asking how much did the brake conversion set you back?

I love the sound of your road trip by the way!
Apologies, I've not updated this for a while. The conversion wasn't cheap - roughly £750 including calliper refurb, discs and fitting.

I've just taken delivery of some corner splitters. Ordered from Germany, full carbon fibre. I couldn't make my mind up whether to go for some Hamann style larger ones and get then body coloured, or stick with BMWP style ones. Anyhow found these, and they seem really good quality. I'll update when fitted.

#54 ·
Deutsche_blonde said:
I've just taken delivery of some corner splitters. Ordered from Germany, full carbon fibre. I couldn't make my mind up whether to go for some Hamann style larger ones and get then body coloured, or stick with BMWP style ones. Anyhow found these, and they seem really good quality. I'll update when fitted.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how they look!

#55 ·
Looking forward to seeing the car with the splitters on , ive be been looking to do something with mine for a while now but I've not found anything I like , these look good tho :D

#56 ·
And they're on. Pics aren't great as it was going dark. I'm really happy with them, they're quite discreet but definitely add a bit more menace to the cars looks.

Fitting was piece of cake, and the fitment is really good... there's a slight gap (~1mm) at the where they meet the wheel arch but it's really not noticeable unless you get low and up close. I'll take some better pics next weekend.

Before

After

#57 ·
They look great really set the car off , if you don't mind me asking have you got a link to where you got them from ?

Cheers

#58 ·
markhurley said:
They look great really set the car off , if you don't mind me asking have you got a link to where you got them from ?

Cheers
Thanks. Happy with them, the question is how long they last! There were a few scratches to the underside of the bumper where they fit, so we'll see.

Sure, available from here..

#59 ·
They look really good against the colour of the car as do the black mirror covers. Nice job :thumbs:

#60 ·
So the splitter's lasted three weeks.

Went up a completely innocuous bump, a sickening crash, some blasphemy, utterings at how much they cost me, followed swiftly by 'how much!?' by my wife. They took some of the bumper with them.You can't see it though, so not too bothered. Keeping my eye out now for a second hand BMWP bumper. If anyone see's one for sale, please give me a shout!

In other news, parts are gathering. Powerflex subframe inserts and Bilstein B12's ready to fit.

They will be going on in 2-3 weeks.The rear tyres will be replaced next, as currently at ~3mm. Will likely go for 245 and put the 10mm spacers back on, though still undecided on the brand/model. Also, after much consideration, I'm pretty sure I want to replace the exhaust. The 135i backbox (centre resonator delete) is just not doing it for me. It's not so much the volume, but more the high pitched noise. Not a priority though, so can wait.

#63 ·
Deutsche_blonde said:
Only took 10 months to get the Bilsteins fitted :eek2:

Initial impressions, it needs an alignment, less crashy, noticeably less body roll. Bring on the weekend and some dry weather... hopefully.
Did you install the inserts as well? :) Post more feedback about the car now with this! :D
B12 + inserts are on my to do list as well. Is the height different with the B12 or the same as M-Sport springs?

#64 ·
From what I know b12s give a small drop in ride height ,
I had inserts on my 5dr but took them out in favour of the 3dr chassis brace which you should already have , I found inserts induced a bit of diff whine but for the money they are a good mod

#65 ·
markhurley said:
From what I know b12s give a small drop in ride height ,
I had inserts on my 5dr but took them out in favour of the 3dr chassis brace which you should already have , I found inserts induced a bit of diff whine but for the money they are a good mod
If he can post another picture, would be perfect, so we can compare with the last one posted here :D.

And without RF tires I think inserts are something to do (even if 3 door have the chassis brace) because car is a little bit weird in handling (like "soft" or "floating").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.