Baby BMW Forum banner

DB's E81 130i

9K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  supercati 
#1 ·
Home alone on a Sat night so thought I'd start a thread on my 130.

I did have a 130i LE some four years ago now, but sold it to finance a wedding/house purchase. Since then a string of straight 6 beemers came and went but I always hankered after another 130.

The car is ok spec wise, but is missing nav (not bothered) and xenons (bit bothered).

The car has had a few mods already: Superpro arms and KW anti-roll bars. I've ordered the BMWP air filter and have a custom made exhaust fitted with mid-box delete. Whilst I love the sound now (nice bassy tone, few pops, no drone) I'm not too keen on the visible back box. I may spray it black to hide it a little better, or have a different box made up.

Future plans are CDV delete, change the vanos solenoids (current are dirty/worn causing slight hesitation when accelerating in 4th- 6th), and a remap. Also a suspension upgrade, though I'm not yet sure what to go for (I'm following THETYRANT's thread with great interest!). My wife and I are planning a two week European road trip in the summer so, funds/wife permitting, I'll get the bits done before then.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks. It is isn't it! It's because it is such a different shape to the standard/BMWP box, being cylindrical rather than rectangular. It's a shame, because I really like the sound now! I have some high temp spray ready to disguise it, but I may have to bite the bullet and get a different one.

#6 ·
I thought I recognised the car. Yep, he's a really nice chap and that's an extremely well kept example you've bagged there...

I've actually been out in that car while it was on KW V1 coilovers (with the ARBs and Superpro arms) and the ride was incredible, so much comfier than standard M Sport yet spookily flat on the bends.

If you're considering new suspension, that's where my money would go.

#7 ·
Ah, Paul did say that another 130i owner had recently been out in it and complimented the KW's - was it you that bought the intake? Yes, KW are definitely on the list. It really is in fantastic condition, a real credit to the previous owner.

#9 ·
Really nice example there! I had a silver 330ci and was never a fan of silver, thought it looked bland. But it looks great on the 1er!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
ben m said:
Really nice example there! I had a silver 330ci and was never a fan of silver, thought it looked bland. But it looks great on the 1er!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I see you have an LE. The combination of the boston lemon interior and carbon black is fantastic. My wife was pining for another and we almost pulled the trigger on a high miler before this one became available.

Our old one on a road trip through Reims...

#13 ·
Deutsche_blonde said:
Thanks! I see you have an LE. The combination of the boston lemon interior and carbon black is fantastic. My wife was pining for another and we almost pulled the trigger on a high miler before this one became available.

Our old one on a road trip through Reims...
It defiantly is a nice combo but really has to be kept clean to look its best. Just looking the silver again and I really think its one of the nicest colours for the e81 as it suits it so well and really not too common. Also for some unknown reason it actually makes it look like a smaller car :lol2: well from the pictures anyway! Still, cracking choice on car.

I forget on my day-to-day run to work and back what a great drive it is. Went out this evening on the roads round Goodwood and its such an enjoyable drive, really puts a smile on your face. I curse the notchiness of the gearbox during the day to day but when you drive in the middle of the rev range its so surprisingly smooth, changes the whole feel of the car.

Anyway, know why you came back! Enjoy :)

#14 ·
Looks nice :)....silver was my preferred choice this time round but couldn't find what I wanted so ended up with LMB, which is nice enough but I prefer lighter colour cars really.

Ian

#16 ·
jgalea324 said:
The 130i won't benefit much from a remap - you might see an increase of 10-15 bhp. Not worth it imo. Use the money to get the BMWP intake instead
I'm as interested in the increased driveability (smoother power delivery, etc) as I am in the power gains. I already have the BMWP air filter, which i'm led to believe provides 90% of the benefit of the intake. I'm not too bothered about the induction noise as my exhaust provides a nice, deep burble. If you consider that the filter + remap costs roughly the same as the intake, it's a no brainer in my mind.

Thank you for the friendly advice though! :) :thumbs:

#18 ·
Deutsche_blonde said:
jgalea324 said:
The 130i won't benefit much from a remap - you might see an increase of 10-15 bhp. Not worth it imo. Use the money to get the BMWP intake instead
I'm as interested in the increased driveability (smoother power delivery, etc) as I am in the power gains. I already have the BMWP air filter, which i'm led to believe provides 90% of the benefit of the intake. I'm not too bothered about the induction noise as my exhaust provides a nice, deep burble. If you consider that the filter + remap costs roughly the same as the intake, it's a no brainer in my mind.

Well said, that's a great way to look at it. I am in the process of contacting Evolve for a remap. I do have the full intake but it was an eBay bargain as I'd never pay the price for a new one.

#19 ·
JohnKimble said:
This looks great - they really do look fab in silver IMO

Would love to hear how that exhaust sounds compared to your old/my new one :D
It's quite a lot deeper, with some gurgling when stepping off the power, and the occasional pop. I love the sound of it, as it's not too loud, and there is no drone sitting at ~80 on the motorway. However, I really dislike the look of it. It looks aftermarket, and the tips are nowhere near the quality of the Eisenmann, which look brilliant. The Eisenmann was also slightly smaller than stock, so the backbox is pretty much completely hidden. All in all, i'm not sure I've done the right thing and can I have it back please!? :lol2:

I have bought some ultra high temp black paint which i'll hopefully get to apply this weekend, just to see if I can disguise the box a little.

#20 ·
arkeye said:
Deutsche_blonde said:
jgalea324 said:

Well said, that's a great way to look at it. I am in the process of contacting Evolve for a remap. I do have the full intake but it was an eBay bargain as I'd never pay the price for a new one.
I'm also going to use Evolve. Would two people count as a 'Group Buy' and earn us some discount? :wink:

#21 ·
Deutsche_blonde said:
arkeye said:
Deutsche_blonde said:

I'm also going to use Evolve. Would two people count as a 'Group Buy' and earn us some discount? :wink:
We could try on a serious note

#24 ·
ben m said:
Where are Evolve based? I may be interested in a group buy on a remap depending on the cost.
They're based near Luton Ben. Any good for you? I'm happy to contact them and see if any discounts would be available for a small group of us. My only concern would be time frame. We have booked a two wk European road trip in May, so would like it to be done before then :twisted:

#25 ·
Deutsche_blonde said:
They're based near Luton Ben. Any good for you? I'm happy to contact them and see if any discounts would be available for a small group of us. My only concern would be time frame. We have booked a two wk European road trip in May, so would like it to be done before then
I am in Chichester so a two hour drive. Not a deal breaker but would be more dependant on the cost of remap itself. I would certainly be interested to know a price

#26 ·
ben m said:
I am in Chichester so a two hour drive. Not a deal breaker but would be more dependant on the cost of remap itself. I would certainly be interested to know a price
I'm just down the road from you (Fareham). I have emailed Evolve regarding price/group buy discount availability. I'll let you know what they say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.